IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lise Rasmussen-Wright

Phil

It is with great sadness that I announce the loss of a sincere friend of palms and the Palm Society. This past Friday, May 16th, Lise passed away at her home in San Diego. Her family was at her side. For years she had been fighting a chronic illness. Many of you know Lise from previous IPS Biennials or local meetings of the PSSC. She and her husband, Jim Wright, have offered their garden for tour on many occasions. Jim grew the palms but Lise added the aesthetics, design and charm to the garden. Always hospitable and gracious to plant enthusiasts, Lise had a multitude of friends who will forever miss her. Our deepest sympathy goes out to Jim and his family.

Phil Bergman

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Jim is a good friend of mine and my heart goes out to him in his loss. Jim and Lise are two of the nicest people you will ever meet not just in the palm society but in life! Lise was an excellent landscape designer and her artistic touches can be seen throughout the garden. Jim has given me many tours of their garden and he is one of the people responsible for getting me into this crazy hobby in the first place. Lise will be deeply missed and my deepest sympathies go out to Jim and Lise's family and friends as well.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I'm deeply saddened to hear about Lise. Jim, my thoughts are really with you in this difficult time, even though I imagine it must have been difficult for quite some time.

Lise was one of the nicest people I've ever met and I'm so sad that I will never get to see her again. Ironically, when we first moved from Florida to San Diego in 1986 we ended up on Mt. Abbey Street in Clairemont in San Diego (and later on Mt. Ariane, more or less around the corner), but we had not met the Wrights'. I was heavily into marathon running at the time, and explored every single street within a 10 miles radius of where we lived on my daily morning runs. Burgener Blvd. which was only a mile away, on the other side of Tecolote Canyon, was part of my running routine. I didn't know Jim or Lise at the time. I didn't even know about the Palm Society! But I always enjoyed the scenery on my morning runs, and one place that stood out on Burgener was Jim and Lise's house with all the palms! A couple of years later we bought a new house in Poway, half an hour away, and in the process of doing the landscape there, I found out about the Palm Society (thru Phil/Jungle Music) and this is how I got to know Jim and Lise.

Interestingly, when we moved to San Diego I would also drive down to De Anza Cove in Mission Bay Park every Sunday morning for the Marathon Clinic. Usually about 60-70 people showed up every Sunday morning, and then went out for runs (or walks) of different distances. I was part of the group that would always do at least 13 miles, and that was a lot of fun. After I got to know Jim and Lise thru the Palm Society I also found out that Lise was at the Marathon Clinic on Sunday mornings, so we would typically see each other and talk, even though she was never part of the group I was running with. Jim and Lise also came to visit us here in Hawaii, and we've seen them on Biennials and on numerous occasions in SoCal and we always had a great time together.

Again, Karolyn's and my thoughts go out to Jim and the family.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I was going to mention that Jim and Lise were two of the nicest people I have ever met, but Steve and Bo beat me to it. You may hear this often when describing people, but it could never be more applicable or sincere as when referring to Jim and Lise. Any conversation about those two would inevitably include such comments. I learned as much from Jim about palms and plants as anyone, both through osmosis while touring his garden, and just during our casual discussions. Jim has been at it as long as anyone, and is never without the energy to share his knowledge, not withstanding his modesty.

I was always pleased when Lise was around during the times that I visited, or when Jim would bring her by during his visits to my place. She was such a pleasant personality, and I can only imagine the deep lose that Jim must feel. They complimented each other in a way that you don't often see.

I don't believe that Jim is a viewer here, but I intend to call with my personal condolences and supply him with a link so he might read some of the thoughts here.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I am saddened to hear of this news, and while I only met Jim and Lise on a few occasions, these are people that you always want to make sure you find in life. Never a terse word and exceptionally GRACEFUL FOLKS. (My caps lock stuck on accidently and I'm leaving it). My heart goes out to Jim, and hopefully his wonderful oasis gives him some comfort while he remembers moments of better times.

Please be well, Jim.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My heart felt condolenses to the family members...And my prayers are with them.

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I am acquainted with Jim through his role as an active and valued supporter of the San Diego Bromeliad Society, both in knowledge, and leadership. I am so sorry to read this news. Jim and Lise opened their garden to palm enthusiasts on at least two occasions that I attended, and they were friendly and welcoming, wonderful hosts. To Jim, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your life partner.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I too, met Jim and Lise through some mutual friends here in South Florida, also members of the IPS. They visited South Florida often, and would always make a point to call when in town. I can remember one time, in the heat of the summer, the cumulus clouds were building just west of Miami, and as we were driving, thunder roared in the distance. Jim about cried at the sound of a true tropical thunderstorm and the impending downpour. "We don't get rains like this in San Diego!!!" He would have leaned out of the window to catch rain drops had I let him. Having never been to California at that time, I thought his behavior was a bit strange to say the least!

Upon a visit to San Diego, my first to California, both Jim and Lise met me and my native Floridian friend with open arms to their home and garden. I was amazed....both at the plantings, palms, garden art, color, texture, and especially the kindness and hospitality from them.

Jim, I hope that your garden and all of the times that you both spent nuturing it, bring some sort of solitude to you during this difficult time. I can't imagine a loss such as yours. Just rest knowing that many of us were touched by Lise in a way that does not often happen. You were blessed having so many wonderful memories with her...and they live in your garden still.

Rick Leitner

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

• 1 year later...

Here it is a year and a half after Lise passed, and I still think of her frequently, and of you, Jim. Even though we lived at nearly opposite ends of CA, Lise and Jim became two of my most enjoyable friends. I want to let you know, Jim, that Lise is still in our hearts and very consciously so. She was such a gentle, loving, and talented individual. Her touches in your garden will be a lovely living memorial to your beautiful wife and our beautiful friend. Whenever we crossed paths at Biennials or visits back and forth between CA and HI, Lise was usually the first person present who would step out to give me a warm hug. I to this day keep reaching out to her presence with lots of return loving hugs.

Garrin

garrin in hawaii