IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I think my Brahea armata died!

NorCalWill

I planted a 15 gallon Brahea armata 2 years ago, and this Winter, decided to move it about 3 feet further from the house...well, it looks pretty much dead at this point. Some of the roots were damaged in the transplant, but I kept it watered. Think it's dead? or should I wait and see a little longer before I replace it? All leaves are dry and brown including the new one that hasn't opened yet.

Sorry man............wait for the spear pull.......pour peroxide down the hole and give it till the end of summer.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I would wait but treat it with Superthrive each time I water.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Sorry to hear about your Brahea! :( I remeber hearing at a PSSC meeting that they don't transplant well because of their roots. It seems that's probably the case here.

It looks like you get to get a new palm!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Dear Will :)

sorry about the breha armeda...is it raining in your area,since during my rainy season our washy simply rotted !

Do you have a still of your breha in discussion ?

And one thing that is very surprising to me is that breha also falls under the catagory of less water needing fan palm & tolerated good amount of hot weather..but my breha is at present showing signs of leaf burn due to present temperatures of 104 to 106 degrees farenheat on average this will last for 3 to 4 months ! should i place a shade cloth on my breha ?

And here is a still of one of my breha's

IMG_0136D.jpg

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Give it til next summer. They do set waaaay back, but usually won't die.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Ive moved quite a few different Braheas...armata, brandegeii, edulis, mooreii..

The only one that hasnt pulled out of it is the mooreii. :(

The others are always slow to recover but if you have put it right back in the ground, my experience has been, that they will slowly come back.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Most the big palm movers in SoCal will not touch an Armata as they are hard to move. Many die or just stagnate for years. I moved a 24 inch boxed one from my yard to my neighbors and it did nothing for almost two years, now it is growing. I think there are a few things against you:

1) You live in Santa Rosa - it was wet and cold this winter

2) You moved it in winter when it could not regrow its roots as there was no heat.

3) Chopped roots in cold damp soil is a death sentence.

----

My sister lives in Santa Rosa and has a few acres. I am getting them into palms. They have planted a few CIDPs and they just uHauled back 4 Med Fan palms from my yard. They are coming back to get more palms, so I ask what else can grow there? I know trashycarpus, Butia and some Braheas. What else have you tried?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

My instincts and experience with Braheas tell me that you should put this plant in sand or some other non organic, well drained medium. Water this plant very little if it's trying to combat rotting roots. Fungicide application would be a must too. I wouldn't let it get bone dry but nothing more than just keeping it moist to dry. A thick layer of mulch will help keep it evenly moist and you won't have to water but once every two weeks. In winter you should probably only water a few times all winter with this one.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hey Len,

I think I agree with you on this, although, I did move it in February, which was when we had our last rain ( we've only had maybe 2 rainy days since then this year). The palms that I see growing in Santa Rosa, and look good, are the Phoenix canariensis and dactylifera, there is even some type of Phoenix crossed with what looks like reclinata in front of an apartment building down the street from me that looks great. I've also know of a nice Brahea armata, Brahea edulis (I think), and a lot of W. robusta. I have in my garden a Butia capitata that is doing great, Chamaerops humilis, Washingtonia filifera and a Sabal minor. All of these are doing very well, and so was the Brahea until I decided to move it so it would have more room. Oh, and I have a Bismarkia nobilis in a pot that looks like death in a pot, but it is alive if you look closely...know anybody who would want it? I think I've tortured it long enough in my climate.

Most the big palm movers in SoCal will not touch an Armata as they are hard to move. Many die or just stagnate for years. I moved a 24 inch boxed one from my yard to my neighbors and it did nothing for almost two years, now it is growing. I think there are a few things against you:

1) You live in Santa Rosa - it was wet and cold this winter

2) You moved it in winter when it could not regrow its roots as there was no heat.

3) Chopped roots in cold damp soil is a death sentence.

----

My sister lives in Santa Rosa and has a few acres. I am getting them into palms. They have planted a few CIDPs and they just uHauled back 4 Med Fan palms from my yard. They are coming back to get more palms, so I ask what else can grow there? I know trashycarpus, Butia and some Braheas. What else have you tried?

Hi Len,

Yes, two years is not an unreasonable amount of time for Brahea's to recover. A Brandegeii that I moved 3 years ago is just now really starting to get new growth with proper leaf color. An Armata that I moved back in the mid 90's is now motoring along well after years of stagnation. When we get in the upper 90's and 100's, they can handle some water, and in deep, well drained soil, this is when they seem to make their recovery.

Dale Motiska has a great collection on acreage with a Nursery (Neon Palms) in Santa Rosa. He's split between there and Vacaville now but his place is a can't miss if you are in the area.

http://www.palmislandnursery.com/index.html

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 13 years later...

Spear frond is still good! WATER it,and it should recover,starting with the unopened frond. Existing fronds will NOT recover.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year