IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Under the Gbarce shade house

Gbarce

The large mango tree on the right adds sun protection. I've attached a lot of epiphytes there.

The variegated banana has already frowered and is on its way to the big banana patch in the sky. I am hoping that one of teh suckers develop as nice a variegation as the mother plant.

post-1017-1210982191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gbarce

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

The trio of Licuala Orbicularis - Can't wait to get all three to be a decent size. These are definitely best viewed from above.

post-1017-1210982801_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Wow, I`m speechless...I`m glad to have teased you somehow in order to show us the treasure...

Now I know my destination for the post biennial trip in 2012...Gene is gonna roast us a cycad loving guinea hen for lunch in his beautiful garden in Metro Manila. :lol::lol:

I must confess I was not so fond of the salad stuff but these lasagnas and many others plants are surely eye catching.

Gene, your palms are all great, I`d probably consider providing those neat Licuala orbicularis of a little more shade. I envy you so much for the Areca ipot seedlings (impossible to obtain those here in NE Brazil and the seeds don`t ever seem to be available). Haven`t they been shade grown and suffered a bit of sudden exposure? Our climates, in terms of temperature variation, seem to be similar and so much of the stuff you grow is really inspirational for my future plans. Both Joey species you have look neat and also the Siphokentia..errr Hydriastele. These 3 species and others growing in the beach house have to be actually placed in wind protected spots and filtered light so I can`t enjoy them near the terraces of the front yard, unfortunetly. The Pelagodoxas are fantastic but the Pinanga maculata and the Calyptrocalyx were my favorites. I guess I`ll keep a close and big eye for these seeds in the future... :winkie:

Do you have the whole collection (in pots) hand watered every other day?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gene, you have an amazing plant collection! Thanks for posting.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

To begin with, from what Ive read Areca Ipots are understorty palms and need to be protected from the mid day sun. Secondly these were probably balled out during the worst heat of our summer, it is only now that we are beginning to get rain and cloudy weather. Lastly, Ipots probably don't like being transplanted at all.

I started out with understory stuff and these tend to be small so most I will keep in the pots. For the large growing/sun loving palms, for now are also in pots becuase I am just learing about them and I really have no idea where to put these. Like BS I am container ranching for now. But since the rainy season is starting I will probably plant a few

Since I am in the middle of the city we have no irrigation chalenges so there is no need to hand ater these. I hose these probably twice a week. Its the epiphytes that need to be watered a lot specialy in the intense heat of summer. During the monsoon season of course you don't need to. :lol::lol::lol:

I've never tried guinea fowl before :mrlooney:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Well, me either...but I would certaily give it a one way ticket to the owen in case it keeps the love for rare smal cycads... :mrlooney:

Thanks for the pictures and information Gene. I know exactly how you feel about living in a big nice old house surrounded by a fast growing metropolis. When my grandpa died some years ago we had to take a painful decision of developping the property and replacing it by condominium towers. We figured it would be almost impossible to live and garden in peace surrounded by a concrete jungle. Anyway, I decided to live in a penthouse on the 21st floor at the same place but I still miss the old beautiful garden I spent part of my youth in close contact with plants and fruiting trees. Here in Recife, the real estate speculating pressure is getting worse everyday and a peaceful neighbouhood can become a chaotic Manhattan in a matter of months. Having a second home on the beach or in the countryside nearby is a must for us here who love a closer contact with nature and don't get attracted by gated communities with so many rules and dos and donts.

Please keep us posted with your plants development and congratulations for the nice paradise.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

To begin with, from what Ive read Areca Ipots are understorty palms and need to be protected from the mid day sun. Secondly these were probably balled out during the worst heat of our summer, it is only now that we are beginning to get rain and cloudy weather. Lastly, Ipots probably don't like being transplanted at all.

I started out with understory stuff and these tend to be small so most I will keep in the pots. For the large growing/sun loving palms, for now are also in pots becuase I am just learing about them and I really have no idea where to put these. Like BS I am container ranching for now. But since the rainy season is starting I will probably plant a few

Since I am in the middle of the city we have no irrigation chalenges so there is no need to hand ater these. I hose these probably twice a week. Its the epiphytes that need to be watered a lot specialy in the intense heat of summer. During the monsoon season of course you don't need to. :lol::lol::lol:

I have Areca ipot, well at least it is sold as A. ipot and it is growing under my temporary shade house 50% shade cloth. Doing very well at the moment. I hope yours will too. Have you planted them?

Scott, my other half, absolutely loves understorey palms and he couldn't resist kept on getting them!!!! I guess I am the more practical one, as I am the one into bigger palms and trees. We have planted over 500 plants (flowering trees, shrubs, palms, native trees, fruit trees, pandanus - you name it we have planted it) in the last 18 months. A huge job and probably at least the same number to be planted in the next year or so. If you can get hold of bigger dypsis, they should do well for you and they are growing like weeds down here. I think we have very similar climate and rainfall. They take full sun very well too - even in the build up weather like you are having now. The monsoon should be around the corner for you now.

But the trees don't grow fast enough.... so we have erected temporary shade house to house the understorey palms as they were starting to suffer in pots. They are doing well and hopefully in the next few years... I can remove the shade and move it somewhere else. That was a good idea by Michael :) :).

Have fun planting!!

Regards, Ari :)

p.s. guinea fowl is not too good for eating... too much muscle :). Why are you keeping them? As a watch 'dog' or to keep snake at bay?

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The guinea fowl weren't my idea. My brother bought them just because they looked wired and curious. They are pretty noisy and their calls are pretty unpleasant actually. I don't really mind them except when they destroy plants :rage::rage::rage:

Gene

Manila, Philippines