Sign in to follow this  
amazondk

The Buritirana - Mauritiella armata

amazondk

Last week while driving south from Boa Vista I ran into a nice grouping of Mauritiella armata. This tree is known as a Buritirana here. In Portuguese rana on the end of a tree name means like. In this case it is Buriti like, or like the Mauritia flexuosa. The two trees grow in close association. The spiny buritirana is one of my favorite palms.

Here are pictures that resulted.

post-188-1210634189_thumb.jpg

post-188-1210634473_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

amazondk

More Buritirana

post-188-1210634565_thumb.jpg

post-188-1210634606_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

amazondk

More Buritiranas

post-188-1210634734_thumb.jpg

post-188-1210634819_thumb.jpg

amazondk

More buritiranas. The stems have some real wicked spines. There was a termite track up this one.

dk

post-188-1210635217_thumb.jpg

post-188-1210635353_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

amazondk

It was a great afternoon for light and palm trees. Some of them have seeds. Maybe I can get some in a few months.

post-188-1210638323_thumb.jpg

post-188-1210639192_thumb.jpg

amazondk

There were some Buriti, Maurtia flexousa close by which added to the scene. I love the Buriti, it is the symbol of my part of Amazonia.

post-188-1210639328_thumb.jpg

Rusty on Pine Is.

Don, those are some beautiful palms, thanks for posting the pics.

Btw, i noted the area they are growing in post 6.....do they grow best in flooded areas?

Thanks

Rusty

jonimic

Beautiful shots. Great looking palms,I agree... Thanks Don

amazondk

Rusty,

Both the Mauritias and the Mauritiella do best in seasonally flooded areas. That is with maybe half the year where the roots are dry and the other part flooded. They will grow with more or less water. But, if flooded too much, such as where a stream is contained to cross a road or something they decline and do not do too well. I think this is due to excessive water during the whole year. They will do ok on dry ground if kept irrigated throughout the year.

dk

bgl

Don,

One of my favorite palms! Great to see photos of them in habitat. They actually do extremely well even in soil that's very well draining (i.e. never any standing water), which is the situation here. Given full sun and in a high rainfall environment they will perform beautifully. :)

Bo-Göran

amazondk

Bo,

I am sure they do well where you are. Your soil is richer than ours here as well I imagine. Even though they normally grow in areas with sandy soil fairly rich in organic matter I probably is not as good as volcanic soil. I am going to plant mine on dry ground when they get big enough.

dk

realarch

Your photos could be postcards Don. Loved the very first one looking up. I've got the perfect place for both the Buriti and the Buritirana.

Tim

amazondk

Tim,

I am sure they will look great at your place. I was crusing along and saw the trees and had to stop. In reality they are all over the place But, this particular moment had the combination of light and location. I stopped to take a picture of the palm and the philodendron. But, when I saw the larger scene I had to take more pictures. I love the way these palms accent the landscape.

dk

amazondk

I ended up duplicating this post, so please ignore.

dk

edric

Thanks a bunch Don, Ed