IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first Biennial

Jeff in St Pete

The bromeliad at Vulcan Poas in Post # 41 was ID'd as Werauhia ororiensis. (not by me, but by someone knowledgeable! :mrlooney: )

Much appreciated. Apparently it's not in cultivation, too bad.

South Florida

After leaving the National Park entrance, it was just a short bus ride to the Aerial tram

DSC_0150.jpg

Brom in a tree

DSC_0147.jpg

Euterpe

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0157-2.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Welfia? Now I think all big palms with a new red leaf are Welfia :blink:

DSC_0159-2.jpg

Could this be Desmoncus? Someone told me to take a picture of it, but I don't remember why.

DSC_0164-2.jpg

I believe that is Kim down below us. Hi Kim! :)

DSC_0165.jpg

Some cool plant growing up a tree

DSC_0166-1.jpg

It was very cool gliding through the canopy. Some of the views were spectacular!

DSC_0170-2.jpg

A couple big palms

DSC_0185.jpg

A closer look

DSC_0186.jpg

and passing them by...

DSC_0189-2.jpg

The Euterpe's were beautiful!

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0206-1.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

A sloth up in a tree near the tram entrance

DSC_0239.jpg

Jeff,

Thanks for the great pictures. It is almost like being there. But, I am sure still a long ways in reality. It is a beautiful forest around there. I am sure it was a good time. Hopefully next time I will make it.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks Luis! It was great finally meeting you and your brother. I have pictures of you guys that I will post soon. I hope the palms are doing ok. Thanks again for the trade!

Hi Jeff,

We also liked meeting you and the other people that day. We have already planted the Joey palms in bags!

Thanks a lot :).

Regards,

Luis Diego.

Luis Diego G.

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

My website: SeresVerdes.com

Plants and seeds I have for trade

Jeff,

I think the one in the photo with me had the branching inflourescence (Asterogyne martiana).

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks Ray. I know you told me the name of this palm a couple dozen times but I still couldn't get it through my thick skull! I was on palm overload that day.

Jeff,

Thanks for the great pictures. It is almost like being there. But, I am sure still a long ways in reality. It is a beautiful forest around there. I am sure it was a good time. Hopefully next time I will make it.

dk

My pleasure Don. Since it looks like we will be coming to Brazil for the next Biennial, I hope to meet you there!

Thursday May 8, 2008 - Carara National Park

Our last bus ride of the Biennial found us crossing the mountains on a very long twisty road and arriving at the central Pacific coast. Carara is a transitional forest between the dry forests to the north and the rain forests in the south. I wasn't expecting this to be as exciting as Braulio Carillo but I was in for a surprise. I saw lots of amazing palms including one called Neonicholsonia that I had never seen before. Twice while we were at the park I saw pairs of scarlet macaws flying overhead, we saw howler monkeys in the forest, a very dangerous snake and lots of other critters.

DSC_0255.jpg

Cryosophilas in the forest

DSC_0269.jpg

Looking up into the crown, the flash on my camera really made the silver stand out.

DSC_0271.jpg

A closeup

DSC_0273.jpg

A very large leaf-cutter ant mound

DSC_0270.jpg

Chamaedorea

DSC_0280.jpg

I think this was a tall Astrocaryum alatum

DSC_0290.jpg

I was backing up trying to get a picture of a palm and Jimmy yelled for me to stop. I turned around to find this coiled up about 6 feet away. I think he said this was a Fleur de Lance which is very poisonous. Needless to say, for the rest of the hike I watched every step of the way!

DSC_0286.jpg

Dottie looking at a Cryosophila.

DSC_0293.jpg

Another Cham?

DSC_0305.jpg

Not sure

DSC_0306.jpg

looking up into the trees

DSC_0312-1.jpg

Not sure what this palm is either but everyone was looking at it.

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318-1.jpg

Sunlight hitting these fronds in the forest

DSC_0323.jpg

Some Chams with very long bent trucks arching out over this creek bed.

DSC_0327-1.jpg

Check out the aerial roots on this one!

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

Howler monkeys up in the trees. The lighting was not good to get a good picture

DSC_0336.jpg

Lots of pictures were taken of IPS members in front of large trees

DSC_0337.jpg

This is the palm that was assumed to be Neonicholsonia. Very cool palm!

DSC_0348-1.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0347-1.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

One more Neonicholsonia pic

DSC_0353.jpg

Flowers all over the forest floor.

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0300-1.jpg

After leaving Carara, we stopped at a gift shop on the way back to San Jose. They had free coffee for us there and it gave everyone a chance to do some shopping.

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0379-1.jpg

Some of the flowering vines around the store

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

Mangos hanging in the trees across the street from the gift shop

DSC_0382.jpg

After we arrived back at the hotel, I had previously made plans to meet Luis Diego and Adolfo that evening. They are twin brothers who live near San Jose, are IPS members, and participate on this forum as FossilNypa and geonomaDude. They couldn't attend the Biennial since they are both still in school but they stopped by to trade some palms with me, meet some of the other PalmTalk members, and they were invited to the Phoenix lecture that evening (in Spanish) and dinner afterwards. Both of them have been very helpful to me since I moved to Costa Rica and it was a real pleasure to finally meet them.

That's Luis Diego on the left and Adolfo on the right in the hotel lobby

DSC_0414.jpg

Phoenix lecture

DSC_0415.jpg

When they found out Andrew Henderson was at the Biennial they made a quick phone call and got someone to bring them their copy of Field Guide to the Palms of the Americas and we asked him to autograph it. Dr Henderson was also kind enough to pose for a picture.

DSC_0419.jpg

Hi Jeff,

Your pictures are incredible, specially the ones about animals (which are hard to photograph). Its cool to see that those
Corypha
palms are here
:)
in Costa Rica.

Thanks again for the palms, they are doing great (we placed them underneath a
Phoenix roebelenii
for some shade).

Regards,

Adolfo

Adolfo García C.,

Interested in collecting Geonoma palms!

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

Ensete leaf

DSC_0339-1.jpg

Me with an Ensete

DSC_0351-1.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

In flower

DSC_0355.jpg

Hi Jeff, Amazing pics of many things I missed running around. I will have to visit you next time I am in town. Your pics will have a lot of others wondering or maybe not if they don't already know what they all missed by not going.

Brazil is next and I think it will be a heavy crowd as well in 2010. It has what I consider the best Botanical Garden around due to age and support of a great staff.

Leland

Topagonia

A few pictures of the hotel lobby taken on Thursday night

DSC_0407.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0409.jpg

I think this was a tall Astrocaryum alatum

Now I see the Astrocaryum you were talking me about, it is really tall. That one is taller than the ones I've seen.

I hope that's an Astrocaryum in that picture. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you are not used to seeing them that big! The Cryosophila's are what really blew me away. The silvery underside of the fronds were spectacular!

Jeff,

We were lucky to have Mr. Henderson autograph the book and pose for a picture. Luis Diego and I really enjoyed the dinner (and the lecture too) and having the chance to meet you and other IPS members.

Adolfo García C.,

Interested in collecting Geonoma palms!

Alajuela, Costa Rica.

Hi Jeff,

Your pictures are incredible, specially the ones about animals (which are hard to photograph). Its cool to see that those
Corypha
palms are here
:)
in Costa Rica.

Thanks again for the palms, they are doing great (we placed them underneath a
Phoenix roebelenii
for some shade).

Regards,

Adolfo

Thanks Adolfo! Under a P roebelenii, huh? :lol:

You should check out the Herrero Brothers Farms. Lots of other hidden treasures there! But the Corypha was a nice surprise.

[quote name='Leland Lai' date='May 13 2008, 11:06 PM' post='20206

Hi Jeff, Amazing pics of many things I missed running around. I will have to visit you next time I am in town. Your pics will have a lot of others wondering or maybe not if they don't already know what they all missed by not going.

Brazil is next and I think it will be a heavy crowd as well in 2010. It has what I consider the best Botanical Garden around due to age and support of a great staff.

Leland

Jeff,

We were lucky to have Mr. Henderson autograph the book and pose for a picture. Luis Diego and I really enjoyed the dinner (and the lecture too) and having the chance to meet you and other IPS members.

Adolfo, I know you guys were very excited about having him sign your book. You met a lot of IPS members that night and you were both a big hit! As Carlo Morici said when he announced you guys, you are the new generation of the International Palm Society. :)

A couple more pics from dinner Thursday night.

Jerry and Cindy Andersen

DSC_0416.jpg

Al and Silvia Bredeson

DSC_0417.jpg

I had a great time visiting with them all here in Manuel Antonio for a few days before the Biennial. Al and Silvia were on Bus #1 with us, but Jerry and Cindy were on Bus #4 so I didn't get to see them much during the week.

Jeff,

You are sure lucky you did not step on that snake. It looks like a bothrops, which is known as a jararaca around here. The largest number of snake bites in Brazil are from this snake. I imagine it is probably the same in Costa Rica.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff,

Awesome photgraphs... Thank you so much for posting them. I know it takes a bit to DL them and get them posted so quickly. Palmtalk really is a great venue to share with members who weren't able to attend. I really hate that I missed such a lovely meeting. 2012 in Thailand here I come!

Don, I will be much more careful where I step from now on...

Thanks William, you missed a great Biennial but I'm sure Brazil in 2010 and Thailand in 2012 will be even better!

Friday May 9, 2008 - This was a free day and many people went on additional tours like white water rafting and canopy zipline tours. Others opted to go shopping at the market in San Jose. I slept late and spent the day at the hotel. Here are a few pictures I took that day.

One of the hotel restaurants

DSC_0420.jpg

The pool was empty, not many people were around the hotel that day.

DSC_0421.jpg

Oxcart inside one of the entrances

DSC_0424.jpg

Lots of palms and tropical plants throughout the hotel

DSC_0423.jpg

Farewell Dinner - Friday night

The dance floor is ready

DSC_0432.jpg

The band

DSC_0440.jpg

BobbyinNY got up and sang a couple songs. He was awesome!

DSC_0454.jpg

He really got the crowd dancing!

DSC_0457.jpg