IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My first Biennial

Jeff in St Pete

BS Man (Bill) and Kim

DSC_0441.jpg

Roomies for the Biennial - Robert and Donald

DSC_0448.jpg

Me and Phil - my new friend from Barbados. Love the Bajans!

DSC_0461.jpg

Julie and Bren with part of the table centerpiece.

DSC_0467.jpg

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Donald, Myself and Faith

DSC_0450.jpg

Cari and Bobby with Dean our moderator in the middle

DSC_0476.jpg

Me with my new friend Dottie

DSC_0471.jpg

Jack (elHoagie) and me

DSC_0444.jpg

Farewell Dinner - Friday night

The dance floor is ready

DSC_0432.jpg

The band

DSC_0440.jpg

BobbyinNY got up and sang a couple songs. He was awesome!

DSC_0454.jpg

He really got the crowd dancing!

DSC_0457.jpg

We were on Bus #1 with you, Jeff, and had no idea you were taking such great pictures and had the memory to go with them. I was boggled by the number of plants we saw, and struggling to get up and down the mountains in the higher altitudes. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Your new friend, Dottie

Dottie! I'm so glad to see you posting on PalmTalk. Show us some of your pictures. I love the picture you recently sent me!

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It was difficult picking photos to post. I took more than 1,500 pictures last week :blink:

Amazing photo journalism Jeff. I had no idea you had taken so many excellent shots.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Great stuff Jeff, thanks!!!!!! Look at Bobby go!!!! haha

OK, now down to palm stuff.

The palm in posts 99 & 100: This looks like some sort of Geonoma to me. Anyone know what it is? I love the salmon colored trunk.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Fabulous Pictures! Thank you for making us feel as though we were on the trip with you! I am new to the Palm world, but through your lense I have been drawn even further in!

I won't make Brazil, sorry Gileno and Don and others, but I should be okay for Thailand 2012. At the moment it is a real bargain fare to fly there from here in Australia.

Thanks everyone for this photo bonanza of the Costa Rica biennial, very inspiring, can't get over how bloody big/tall those Welfias are.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

I was looking forward to having a cold beer on Avenida Atlantica in Copacabana. Who knows maybe some promotional fare will come up to Brazil. It is a long way from Australia though. I hope to get to Thailand as well. Even though it is a bit tough to plan 4 years out.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks Ray! It's hard to take a bad picture when the palm scenery is so spectacular :)

Matty, once again I wish I had taken notes! Maybe I'll be better prepared for Brazil.

I'm sure someone that saw this palm can ID it. Henderson's list did not include Geonoma at Carara National Park so I'm not sure what it could be.

Salvades, Welcome to the wonderful world of palms! You will learn a lot about palms by reading and participating on PalmTalk!

Wal, I'm sure some of my group was tired of hearing me say "look at that HUGE Welfia!" or "look how tall these Geonoma's are" I was in awe walking around the forest at Braulio Carillo National Park. I would have liked to walk some of those trails twice, there are so many plants and palms that I know I missed.

Great pictures Jeff! It was nice to finally meet you, even though it wasn't until the second to last night. I missed so many people in DR so I tried to find all the Palm Talk people in Costa Rica, but I think I still missed a few. See you in Rio!

Thanks Kathryn. It was nice finally meeting you too!

Jeff - I just viewed/read this in one sitting... 132 posts. Thank you. How cool that a local guy could see and share this with the rest of us. And the sense of discovery... what's just around the next turn... Thanks again.

I have to make Brazil in 2010.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Amazing coverage Jeff, thanks a lot. This is the kind of photo essay that encourages everyone to participate in the next biennial events. I'll have to visit Costa Rica someday...

Ohhh, and those Iriarteas... :drool:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Terry, the palms and other tropical plants around every turn were mind boggling. You should definitely go to Brazil, that's sure to be another great Biennial!

Gileno, thanks for the kind words. The Iriarteas were stunning! I just planted a 3 gal size on the property and I can't wait to see it grow. Please let me know when you come to Costa Rica.

Jeff, really nice photos. I like to see photos of things that I missed. The volcano crater was a total washout for us, just clouds. Your photos show what an amazing sight the crater is. The waterfall photos are good. I was totally blown away by La Paz.

RainForestt Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Robert, I guess our group got lucky that day seeing the crator.

LaPaz was one of my favorite stops. Between the birds, the gardens and the waterfalls, you can't ask for much more.

Robert, I guess our group got lucky that day seeing the crator.

LaPaz was one of my favorite stops. Between the birds, the gardens and the waterfalls, you can't ask for much more.

I'm with you on that, Jeff... that was Cari & my favorite too..... La Paz was breathtaking.... Cari has a ton of great pics as well - I'll have to get some of them on here.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hi Bobby

Looks like you had one of the best room mates :) , Say hi Cari

regards

Colin and Denise

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Since I downloaded more pics, I thought I would post some more.

The Poas Volcano

DSC_0021-2.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0010-1.jpg

That's Stephen in the center and Phil to the right of him with the white hat. They're both from the beautiful island of Barbados.

DSC_0024-1.jpg

A close up of the sign explaining the second crater in Spanish and in English

DSC_0049-2.jpg

And a couple more shots of Botos Lagoon

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0044-3.jpg

A few more bird pics from LaPaz Waterfall Gardens

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0109-1.jpg

DSC_0114-1.jpg

Julie and Bren during the luncheon at LaPaz

DSC_0219.jpg

Man made waterfall just outside the restaurant

DSC_0216-1.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

The color of these Cannas really stood out

DSC_0241.jpg

More waterfall pictures. I have to say, this was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

Looking up into the forest surrounding this waterfall

DSC_0261.jpg

Julie getting her picture taken by the falls

DSC_0265.jpg

The top of one of the waterfalls

DSC_0276.jpg

The stream below one of the falls

DSC_0277.jpg

A few more pics from LaPaz Waterfalls

From the top of another one of the falls, you can see the stream running below

DSC_0287.jpg

One of many stairs to descend

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

Some additional shots of the farewell dinner

DSC_0433.jpg

Bo addressing the crowd and Oscar translating in Spanish.

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

Dave and Geri Prall

DSC_0470.jpg

The table displays of heliconias were all over the place by the end of the evening!

Voltaire

DSC_0473.jpg

Faith Bishok holding one over Julie and Bren

DSC_0469.jpg

The view from my room

DSC_0477.jpg

A look down the hallway, the hotel was a nice mixture of inside meets outside

DSC_0479.jpg

Pandanus stilt roots, that's the door to my room on the left.

DSC_0480.jpg

More shots of inside the hotel

DSC_0481.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

Off the main lobby during a rainstorm. There's a huge Caryota in seed in the background.

DSC_0429.jpg

Pool bar and restaurant

DSC_0484.jpg

A couple homes near the gift shop we stopped at one day

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

Some of the crowd of Bus #1 and #2 at the giftshop

DSC_0406.jpg

Looking up into the crown of Astrocaryum alatum at Carara National Park

DSC_0260-1.jpg

These were beautiful palms when viewed from underneath

DSC_0288.jpg

And the seed

DSC_0262.jpg

hey Jeff , is that a Cairns t-shirt I spy you behind that spiny seed ... gee I would not want to many of those in my pocket !

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael, I think Ray Hernandez was holding the seed for that picture. I believe he went to Australia in the last year or so. Good eye! I never noticed the shirt.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks for your beautiful exotic pictures from Costa Rica Jeff my wife and I enjoyed scrolling through them and it seems you all had a fantastic time.....loved those palms in seed soooo many of them..cool.

Partly through viewing yours and others photos my wife and I have decided to visit Costa Rica and very shortly too so do you have any condensed ideas of must see places that we should not miss during our 2 week stay at Tamarindo.

The one thing I have noticed the driving times to and from places, quoted on the net, seem quite long and so are the roads a lot slower to drive from what we would expect here in Europe.

As I say we are based at Tamarindo and wondered what sort of time would it take to get to the Arenal volcano.

Many thanks for any info

Kev

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

I find myself still coming back to look at more new pictures. I have been all over the world, for me Costa Rica ranks right up near the top of the list for offering so much. It offers so much and has many beautiful areas to visit. The locals go out of their way to be friendly, the food is very good and CR has one of the finest collections of palms found in the world. I would go back anytime!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Many thanks for your beautiful exotic pictures from Costa Rica Jeff my wife and I enjoyed scrolling through them and it seems you all had a fantastic time.....loved those palms in seed soooo many of them..cool.

Partly through viewing yours and others photos my wife and I have decided to visit Costa Rica and very shortly too so do you have any condensed ideas of must see places that we should not miss during our 2 week stay at Tamarindo.

The one thing I have noticed the driving times to and from places, quoted on the net, seem quite long and so are the roads a lot slower to drive from what we would expect here in Europe.

As I say we are based at Tamarindo and wondered what sort of time would it take to get to the Arenal volcano.

Many thanks for any info

Kev

Hi Kev, I'm glad you and your wife decided to come to Costa Rica! Tamarindo is in the NW corner of the country and driving times to many of the top attractions will be long. Arenal would be at least 3-4 hours one way . The speed limits are much lower than you are accustomed to and the police set up radar traps all the time. So be careful! If you want to see any of the places we visited during the Biennial, just be prepared for some very long drives.

I checked out this sight and the driving times are pretty close for the most part. I would say that some of the times are a little over-estimated by about 30 minutes or so. CR drive times

I find myself still coming back to look at more new pictures. I have been all over the world, for me Costa Rica ranks right up near the top of the list for offering so much. It offers so much and has many beautiful areas to visit. The locals go out of their way to be friendly, the food is very good and CR has one of the finest collections of palms found in the world. I would go back anytime!

Jeff

Jeff, I couldn't agree with you more. The longer I live here, the more I love this country!

Incredibly, I missed this thread. I thought it had to do with pre-biennial stuff or something. The pictures are amazing. I remember people ogling the palms in posts 99-100. I suggested Geonoma interrupta. One of them had big red, branching fruit bracts low on the trunk, which supports G. interrupta (and undata too, actually).

I can help with ID's on many of the pics, by comparing with my mediocre pics of various palms supported by the excellent taxonomic skills of Andrew Henderson. Let me know.

MM

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Incredibly, I missed this thread. I thought it had to do with pre-biennial stuff or something. The pictures are amazing. I remember people ogling the palms in posts 99-100. I suggested Geonoma interrupta. One of them had big red, branching fruit bracts low on the trunk, which supports G. interrupta (and undata too, actually).

I can help with ID's on many of the pics, by comparing with my mediocre pics of various palms supported by the excellent taxonomic skills of Andrew Henderson. Let me know.

MM

Hi Mike, thanks for the Geonoma info! Please feel free to ID any of the palms that I posted pictures of.