IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Austalian Weather in March 2008

bubba

Talked with a friend and his bride who spent the month of March 2008 in Austalia and New Zealand.They are serious Fishermen and went to Cooktown for the Great Barrier Reef.Sadly, the weather did not cooperate and their guide said it had been horrible for 6 weeks and this was not normal.When is the best time to go for the best weather?He was also talking about a very good beer called Huighy(sp).Very dry.The pictures were unbelievable.

What you look for is what is looking

Now is the best time bubba , been glorious weather ,, lows of 19 c and only up to 26 c .. not much rain and lots of sun .

Was the wettest March for ages .. to many new beers to keep track of them , and I am not really a beer drinker , the rat pack will know they seem like real drinkers .. Winter is the peak tourist season .. June to August can get a little cool .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Yes... March is still the wet season. May is better, but June/July is the best for non- tropical people as the weather is the most beautiful. For us, it is rather COLD!! Unfortunately, Michael is right... too many tourist.

Is the beer tooheys? My other half drinks a bit - not as much as he used to (thank goodness). It is rather nice beer, actually... I don't mind having one or two every now and then.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thank you for the Info.That is the Beer!He is not a heavy drinker but he said it was very dry.

April, May is good if the south-easterlies have died down. Cooktown is hard to fish as it gets very choppy in any wind. Hinchinbrook Island is always workable as it is possible to get out of the wind. Bamaga on the tip of Cape York is excellent as there is the Jacky-Jacky on the eastern side and the gulf on the western side. It has the best pelagic fishing anywhere as well as barra, jacks and threadies. For guides there is only one, Steve Jeston Hyperspace

Far be it for me to shoot down any rumours about the genuine qualities of members of the OZ palm ratpack, but any Toohey drinkers above Rocky would be in the minority I would have thought. Put it this way, they don't use Tooheys in their Beer Chicken meals

Only 3 weeks and 2 days to go before I'll be in Port Douglas for lunch.

As for the weather here in Australia, it can be dangerous and unforgiving, this is not a land of cuddly koalas and dainty Licuala palms, this is a tough harsh continent, full of get out of my way front rowers and Livistonas, so you better plan carefully when you arrive, where you'll stay and what you'll do, this country will eat you for breakfast. :winkie:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, My buddy said that Cooktown was not the end of the world but you could see it in the distance.The guy can stand his ground,trust me.They greatly enjoyed Australia and it's top notch people.I don't know where he drank Toohey but he thought it was good.His Guide in Australia was recommended by his Guide in the Key's,who introduced him to his wife over 10 years ago.I will find out the Austalian's name.

Cooktown is a long way from the tip of Cape York just ask Jacky-Jacky. Life travels at a different pace up there.

This is the transit lounge at Aurukun airport. Our Dash 8 was the biggest aircraft to land there

airport.jpg

The heat can make you see things though

sunset.jpg

Bubba, it was probably Tooheys Extra Dry platinum. Real crisp and dry, so great for hot weather, and 6.5% alc so puts you on your ear pretty fast if you're not careful. :drool:

Jon, gotta love FNQ!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Jon,That's what I'm talking about!

Daryl,I think you nailed it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hhmm... too many Queenslanders on this board!!! Come on... we need more Territorians. Oops... only me :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hhmm... too many Queenslanders on this board!!! Come on... we need more Territorians. Oops... only me :mrlooney:

and we're all crying tonight.. :crying:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Far be it for me to shoot down any rumours about the genuine qualities of members of the OZ palm ratpack, but any Toohey drinkers above Rocky would be in the minority I would have thought. Put it this way, they don't use Tooheys in their Beer Chicken meals

Only 3 weeks and 2 days to go before I'll be in Port Douglas for lunch.

As for the weather here in Australia, it can be dangerous and unforgiving, this is not a land of cuddly koalas and dainty Licuala palms, this is a tough harsh continent, full of get out of my way front rowers and Livistonas, so you better plan carefully when you arrive, where you'll stay and what you'll do, this country will eat you for breakfast. :winkie:

Wal,

Too true! While I've never had the pleasure to visit Australia, I've read many books - fiction and non - about it. One of the best for someone contemplating a visit is Bill Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country". Funny, informative, and truthful. He talks about areas that are so hot, your blood boils and then you die. He talks about Shark Bay and the weird plant-animal that lives only there and on a small island in the Bahama chain. It is just really good.

Another good one is "Morgan's Run" by Colleen McCullough. It is about the first settlers in Australia and New Zealand. Great book about the history. I also have a couple of books of poetry by Henry Lawson.

I agree with you based on what I've read - it ain't a place for wimps! But I sure want to visit - for a year at least!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty, The Australia you read about in those books is long gone. The place has changed so much in the last twenty years it is unbelievable. Cape York is becoming overrun by big mining interests even in The Crocodile Hunters own wilderness areas. There is sixty or so wild rivers up there pretty much all on a bauxite landscape.

P1000066.jpg

P1000077.jpg

P1000094.jpg

Wal drinks XXXX known as 4X, it tastes like XXXX :D :D (yes, there really is a beer named XXXX) Definitely a Queensland thing

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Sorry Wal, can't call myself Queenslander ever as I can't drink XXXX. Besides, XXXX doesn't travel well at all. They taste even worse here.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Cape York as you probably know is principally aboriginal land held in trust by the federal government. Alcohol is strictly controlled, no spirits are allowed and each person is permitted either a carton of mid strength beer or one bottle of wine........per day. After all it is still Australia. It is only around Cairns and Townsville that the locals have coldrooms and buy beer by the pallet. And yes it is XXXX, not Vomit Bombs.

I though VB stood for Vitamin beer , or the Very best ,,, thats the Victorian in me coming out ,,, sorry ..

why do all the Victorians come up to QLD ? to teach the Qld'rs how to spell ! its not XXXX its BEER ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael,

I didn't realise you are Victorian :). Scott told me I was honorary Melbournian as that was my first point of entry to Australia... :) :). I guess it sort of is.. as I lived there for 4 years when I first got here. Although I don't really like VB either...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

VB stands for "Vile Brew" or "Very Bad". I would say it's probably Australia's worst beer, and I'm originally from Melbourne.

Mainstream WA beers aren't any good either. Do you guys ever remember the adverts for Emu Export. "I can do with an emu, Howbout youuuuuuu????" You've got to say that in a totally exagerated Aussie accent.

Seriously though, each to his own. Drink what you like drinking. It's just fun picking on different states beer tastes. :winkie:

:)

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.