IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

yet another san diego zoo thread

paulgila

Paul,

Thanks to you and Bob for the tour. Great photos. You guys should write a letter to the Horticultural Dept. at the Zoo telling them that you loved all the palm trees. It's always a battle between the animal and plant people for funds and a show of public support always helps encourage more plantings.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Picture175.jpg

some cool native hawaiian plants.they would make a great salad.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I think my hamburger habit is starting to show.

Len, what the heck are you talking about? Wait, strike that, I don't wanna know. "Do it"!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Picture175.jpg

Those are very cool Brighamia insignis. They are not an easy grow. That coconut is a slow motion car crash happening before my eyes. Yikes!

Great pics too. That hyophorbe indica looks pretty good.

I'd say MattyB is challenging Matthew McConnaugey for shirtless roles. LOL

I've got one that's about 1 1/2' tall and it's doing great in my yard. It never ceases to put out new leaves. Even through winter that baby just kept growing!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Picture175.jpg

Those are very cool Brighamia insignis. They are not an easy grow. That coconut is a slow motion car crash happening before my eyes. Yikes!

I've got one that's about 1 1/2' tall and it's doing great in my yard. It never ceases to put out new leaves. Even through winter that baby just kept growing!

That's sweet. Maybe I'll try another one. They ain't cheap either.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Picture175.jpg

That's sweet. Maybe I'll try another one. They ain't cheap either. By the way, mine has twice the leaves that the ones above do!

I got mine for $40 from Rancho Soledad

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Picture175.jpg

That's sweet. Maybe I'll try another one. They ain't cheap either.

I got mine for $40 from Rancho Soledad. By the way, mine has twice the number of leaves than the ones pictured above!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I got mine at Green Thumb for $14.99.

yeah right :mrlooney:

ha haaaa!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

I got mine at Green Thumb for $14.99.

yeah right :mrlooney:

ha haaaa!!

Yes, really! It's cheap huh, even for Green Thumb? :winkie:

Nothing bad. When I was in the Marine Corp we used that as a joke for guys that had skinny legs but developed upper body. Hence the person riding a chicken. Matt and I have meet only once but I really feel like we bonded to where I can tease him like one of my close friends. :blink::mrlooney: .

Just giving him a hard time as joke. Matt is fine overall specimen and can easily rival Matthew McConaughey!

Well Len I'm in even if Matty is skeerd. What chicken?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

BTW, The best looking royal palm at the zoo is smack right in the middle of the Children's Zoo. It's big-n-fat!

Nothing bad. When I was in the Marine Corp we used that as a joke for guys that had skinny legs but developed upper body. Hence the person riding a chicken. Matt and I have meet only once but I really feel like we bonded to where I can tease him like one of my close friends. :blink::mrlooney: .

Just giving him a hard time as joke. Matt is fine overall specimen and can easily rival Matthew McConaughey!

Yer crazy! :blink: Matthew McConaughey can easily rival my brains!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

no one even wants to post after that one,matty :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 2 years later...

This is a great thread, thanks! I love the photos especially the hyophorbe indica. Great commentary too. I wanted to bump the thread because I was at the zoo today but many of the palms were unmarked and I couldn't identify them. We got a zoo pass and plan to return often. I was wondering if there is any sort of map anywhere that identifies the different palms planted at the San Diego Zoo?

Thanks,

Joel

yes,there is a map like that.ask someone in a zoo uniform. :)

still "warning-free."

Missed this the first time. Do it again so I can watch this time...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Very Nice pictures..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great pics trioderob.

Pohonkelapa thanks for the input. We actually asked a few zoo employees but only got blank stares. Perhaps in addition to working on my palm IDs I need to work on IDing the right zoo employees who can get me this much heralded palm map.

check around near where you first enter the zoo--there should be a small rack with various pamphlets & maps--thats where i found the palm map before.

still "warning-free."

yes,there is a map like that.ask someone in a zoo uniform. :)

I'm wearing a zoo uniform, ask me. :blink:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

& by "zoo uniform" you mean garters & fishnet stockings,right wal?

still "warning-free."

editto

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.