IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nong Nooch Tropical Garden...

rthink

Thanks for the heliconia photos.The first is a H.bihai cultivar "Nappi" and the pendant one might be H.longa.Many of those fuzzy pendant heliconias do not survive in hot steamy lowland gardens.

How large is this garden?When was it started?

We must have the same interest... Scott. I grow shekong and dinosaurs... and as you know my garden is pretty hot and steamy. So, it is possible. Both in full sun - all day every day, as I have hardly any shade at the moment.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,I grow about forty five species and cultivars.I dont have much luck with those fuzzy ones.Thats why I was interested in what they are growing in Nong Nooch.I will be able to grow many more higher altitude heliconias at the new place.Its 750-850m.Has your She Kong bloomed?I have also never had luck with Heliconia indica - there are many names for this foliage heliconia ,striata,spectabilis illustris.They do so well in Hawaii.There are many cultivars of this one for sale in Thailand.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Scott,

My shekong is only young... It is only its first year in the ground. It is definitely slower than the rest of them though, so I doubt that it would flower next year. I haven't had any luck with H. indica either. My last one was growing very well in pot - but my dog knocked it and never recover :rage: . So, I have to wait till the beginning of the wet before I can get another one, as the lady I am getting it from doesn't like dividing them in dry season/winter. I know they grow quite well in Cairns - although still slower than most, but Cairns is just a tad cooler than us. It doesn't get as cold and dry in the dry season either.

I know Dinosaurs definitely flower in Darwin though...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks all for all comments. I have had an issue accessing palmtalk for several days so i didn't check the thread.

Clayton,

Thanks again for some other IDs. I know you can IDs most of the palms in the world! :winkie:

Hi Chalermchart.

I would love to be able to name even one third of the palm species!! When it comes to naming Palm species or plants in general Michael Ferrero is like a walking Encyclopaedia!! He was the curator of the Palms in Noon Nooch Tropical Gardens for10 years.

Hi Scott

I should have read your post before listing I was thinking Nappy yellow but was not sure and I’m still not 100% sure to tell you the truth, as we are in the subtropics most of the H.Bihai grow quite well cv nappy yellow being one of them but some times ones grown in the tropics can look quite different.

It’s like H.pogonantha the plants will grow Ok here but we have never flowered this species as of yet, we have flowered H.mariae! But the flowers are a lot smaller than those in the tropics. We have never flowered H. longa even growing this species is very hard for us here this could also be a possibility for the photo listed like you have said? Even with H.indica we just grow this one as a foliage Heliconia as we have also never flowered this species and to grow it well, it must be in a very well protected area for it to handle our cold winters.

Ari all these species should grow very well for you especially once your garden becomes more and more establish.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Thanks Clayton,

We started our tropical garden adventure from heliconia and gingers in Gove. Unfortunately we had to leave that garden behind and now we are starting over. We used to have over 20 heliconias and 40 gingers variety in 600 sqm block :rolleyes: . I have no ideas how we fit them all in. We still had most of the rhizomes with us and started planting them out. Some of them went in last year, and my Orthotrica 'eden pink' is already flowering :) . Hopefully my rostrata, claws, caribea - not sure which one I planted already - as the rhizomes got all mixed up, and other orthotrica will flower next year. I have H. longan in the ground and it is doing rather well. H. indica is very very touchy!! I have great success in growing most heliconia, but this one. Even when we were in Gove... we tried several times... in the shade, in the sun, in part sun... we tried almost everything. So, hopefully... we can grow them one day.

Scott,

I will let you know how my fuzzy ones going next year. If they do well for me, they should flower for you too.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Chalermchart, excellent photos! Thanks for posting them. I can't wait for 2012 to see the garden in person!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica