IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Avocado ID

spockvr6

My neighbor has this Avocado growing in his yard.  Can anyone ID the species?

Plants_1200.jpg

Plants_1201.jpg

Plants_1202.jpg

Plants_1203.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Hi Larry-

Maybe some of the guys from the Fallbrook area can respond (since Fallbrook is supposed to be the Avocado capital of the world!!)  Anyway, the only thing I know is the "bumpy" pear shaped fruit is the "Haas" (better taste) and the smooth, round fruit is "Fuerte".  Hope it is doing well, it looks like it, they are supposed to like cool nights...

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well technically the species is Persea americana, but I couldn't tell you the variety...LOL. I grow a few hardier species from this genus, P  podadenia from Mexico and P palustris the Redbay from the Southeastern Coastal plain of the US. Good lookign Avocado though.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

How hardy is Persea podadenia, Zac?  Does it look the same as americana?

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

Need to see fruit to be sure...probably a green skin type, not Hass.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Sep. 11 2006,09:21)

I dont believe this tree has yet fruited (or at least not that I have noticed).  But, it does seem to be a very fast grower.  I believe it was planted about 3 years ago and is already something between 15-20 ft tall.

What are the possibilites of "green skin types"?  I have little knowledge of Avocados (since I think they taste terrible!) so I am clueless.

Larry 

Larry,

Usually green skins(Zutana, Bacon, etc) are upright growing,(like the one in the pic) not spreading. We use them here as pollinaters for Hass. Not sure why Florida has trouble growing the Hass, but they do.

Some experts can look at leaves and tell which fruit it is, but not I...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(spockvr6 @ Sep. 11 2006,06:29)

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Sep. 11 2006,09:21)

I dont believe this tree has yet fruited (or at least not that I have noticed).  But, it does seem to be a very fast grower.  I believe it was planted about 3 years ago and is already something between 15-20 ft tall.

What are the possibilites of "green skin types"?  I have little knowledge of Avocados (since I think they taste terrible!) so I am clueless.

Larry-

You probably had the wrong "type" Avocado.  Do you like guacamole?

If you don't, no worries, if we're together at a party and theres some good dip, there's more for me.  :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve-

Upright growing is certainly an apt description of this tree's habit.  So, I guess that narrows things down.

Larry 

(BS, Man about Palms @ Sep. 11 2006,09:56)

Do you like guacamole?

ICK!

Larry 

Paul- Podadenia is pretty hardy, zone 7 ish. I had a seedlign but I lost it to voles,. I know Bob in Winston Salem NC has one that is fruiting already. It is native to my favorite Mexican state, though I am not sure if I have seen it on the trips to Tamaulipas. It looks sorta like americana, but it is a nice evergreen tree.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery