IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis decipiens

jdapalms

Quite nice and developed, Tim! As we can see, you put it on the ground using rocks, to improve drainage, didnt you?

I hope mine will behave the same way :drool:

Tim,

That is a great looking palm, but 8 years from seed to trunking? Even under ideal conditions Decipiens takes a lot longer than that to form trunk. Looks like it could be Dypsis Ambositrae.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I think Aarons got it....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think Aarons got it....

Unless Dypsis ambositrae has clustered leaflets when it gets bigger, it looks like a Dypsis decipiens type to me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

What? The Richard Simmons type? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Even though I have seen his poster on your bedroom wall, I still do not get this joke.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Even though I have seen his poster on your bedroom wall, I still do not get this joke.

Loosing size thru working out... plus those red shorts around the trunk... Wait.

I think I was just channeling Matty.:hmm:

I don't think it's either one. It looks like a combo of the two. Rusty,Phil and I were talking about this today. Decipiens is the new complex. Such as the onilahensis or baronii complex. There is alot of variable DD out there now.

San Marcos CA

deleted double post

this time

Malcombe, What kind of steroids are you feeding that giant?

Here is a picture of my 6'2" neighbour beside it...

Gyuseppe, I'm not sure about age...probably 10 years..

Perito, Does not get any special treatment or feeding..

regards...Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

Your palms are very robust and healthy. How would you describe your climate?

I notice your Bismarkia is very healthy - what maximum temperatures do you experience in winter?

That Parajubea coccoides looks fantastic - how old is it?

Cheers

Sol

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Here is a pic of mine from last November.

DSC_2758.jpg

Whoa Gary - that looks fantastic ,especially with the surrounding rocks.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Tim....haven't seen you posting in a long time. Also tried to go to your web site Hybridpalms.com and it was no more? Are you still in the hybrid palm business? BTW your DD gives me hope over here on the west coast that I can grow something similar. How did your Bizmarkia fair this winter?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David, my Dypsis decipiens and Bismarckia were among my least damaged palms. My low was 26f but it was for several consecutive nights.Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Ok so I just purchased a new camera so I figured Id post some pics. I have many small plants and no two look alike. Here are a couple of runt D. decipiens about 2 1/2 feet tall.

Dypsisdecipiens223.jpg

Dypsisdecipiens222.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Rafael,

Those are very nice! I wish I could have those shipped to California... Good job finding those!

Justin Ingram

Pinole, California

Sunset Zone 17; USDA z9B

From Medipalm, Almeria, Spain, brought two others d.decipiens (left and right).

They have maybe hundred others, with this same size.

They'll go really nice in your garden Rafael. I think they'll grow just fine for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Justin: Thanks! But cant you find dd in California? Why that? Found online seller canarius.com.

Tyrone: Thanks too! These are a real bet, and in a few days will be on the ground, and considerering the excelent advises you made!

I've got about 100 plants in my own nursery. I've heard that seed out of Madagascar of this species has virtually stopped. I haven't seen D decipiens on an RPS list for years. I won't be clearing out my stock in a fire sale either, even though I can definitely do with the space.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've got about 100 plants in my own nursery. I've heard that seed out of Madagascar of this species has virtually stopped. I haven't seen D decipiens on an RPS list for years. I won't be clearing out my stock in a fire sale either, even though I can definitely do with the space.

Best regards

Tyrone

Didnt know that!

From now on, could we say it's a specie in real danger? :(

Well i made my part...

deleted double post

this time

Malcombe, What kind of steroids are you feeding that giant?

Here is a picture of my 6'2" neighbour beside it...

Gyuseppe, I'm not sure about age...probably 10 years..

Perito, Does not get any special treatment or feeding..

regards...Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

Your palms are very robust and healthy. How would you describe your climate?

I notice your Bismarkia is very healthy - what maximum temperatures do you experience in winter?

That Parajubea coccoides looks fantastic - how old is it?

Cheers

Sol

Sol...

I thought I had replied to you.. we do not have any weather stations in this part of the country so I am guessing that I would have a mean average temp in winter of around 10 degrees C. I am right on the beach so do not get any frosts..I have lost my planting diary and I am now pretty vague as to how old plants are..the Parajubaea c is probably between 12 to 15 years old...

regards...

Rafael, when its all said and grown, those D D trunks may be -touching- 10 years from now..

Rafael, when its all said and grown, those D D trunks may be -touching- 10 years from now..

Hi Bill, yes i know they are too close from each other, but i think they wont have any problem, because they are 30 cm away. And besides that, i am not able anymore to change it. They are already on the ground for 2 weeks, and were planted with too much drainage care, lots of work. And i dont want to bother them now.

But thanks anyway for your advisement!

• 3 weeks later...

My together d.d. seem to be not completely fine. Thats because its leaves are kind of yelowing. Two weeks ago i have fertilized them with seaweed. I am afraid i have over fertilized them. What should i do now? Or should it be lack of anything?

post-3292-12715280548504_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

• 2 years later...

Raphael..........how bout an update....did they survive. Also since this thread is a couple of years old, how about updates from everyone.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Due to overwater errors from my former :rolleyes: gardener, i have lost two of them (as reported here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23099), but this one remains healthy :winkie:

post-3292-0-65947900-1352069372_thumb.jp