IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bamboo Land at Howard, Sth East Queensland

Walter John

There's a reason there's not a Gulf Coast source--those probably wouldn't grow in a U.S. East Coast 9a--they are mountain plants that don't like the heat--they are great in Oregon and Washington, but marginal even here in the heat of the Mid-Atlantic.

There probably are a fair amount of other clumpers you could grow though. One source is the species list of the ABS (American Bamboo Society). They list minimum temperatures rather than zones, so just look at 20F or below for 9a. There might be some nice Bambusas that go down to 20F, but I'm not sure off the top of my head.

You might be in a great area for Moso (Phyllostachys edulis), which is a runner, but wonderful--it's the giant bamboo you see in movies like 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragron" and "House of Flying Daggers". As a poster above said, very misunderstood. If you research where to plant running bamboo and how to contain it, it is far easier than maintaining a lawn, for example. Some report Moso to be relatively easy to control, as well.

What kind of cool clumpers can someone grow in zone 9a?

my sources tell me, "Fargesia Robusta" and "Fargesia murielae".

David, the only sources I have found for these is on the West Coast, Cal and Oregon. If you find a Gulf Coast source, please let me know. - k

Edited by Mark_NoVA

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Ari, I asked about the bamboo's when I saw my friend last weekend and he said that getting things into the NT from WA is difficult. He didn't sound too enthused about sending things to Darwin, so I left it at that. The only one he had from your list was B chungii anyway.

But, one you should get is Dendrocalamus brandisii, the tallest bamboo in the world at a staggering 40m. It doesn't have the biggest culms(they're still huge), that belongs to D gigantues at 30-35cm diameter, and asper isn't far behind, but brandisii beats those two in height by 10m. Here are a couple of pics from Thailand of D brandisii.

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-1210338060_thumb.jpg

post-63-1210338076_thumb.jpg

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This is my fav bamboo pic I found on the net, I wonder what species it is.

post-51-1210340545_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That's a beautiful pic Wal. I'd say that it's probably a Dendrocalamus, maybe gigantues, but I couldn't say for certainty.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

How about "Wong Chuk" that is located in Gainesville. We are warmer than there most winters.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

aka.......Royal Bamboo

aka.......Royal Bamboo

aka Weavers bamboo

Bambusa textilis is the correct botanical name for this bamboo. There can be real confusion using common names for all plants it seems.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ari, I asked about the bamboo's when I saw my friend last weekend and he said that getting things into the NT from WA is difficult. He didn't sound too enthused about sending things to Darwin, so I left it at that. The only one he had from your list was B chungii anyway.

But, one you should get is Dendrocalamus brandisii, the tallest bamboo in the world at a staggering 40m. It doesn't have the biggest culms(they're still huge), that belongs to D gigantues at 30-35cm diameter, and asper isn't far behind, but brandisii beats those two in height by 10m. Here are a couple of pics from Thailand of D brandisii.

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks anyway, Tyrone. It is not that hard to send to NT. The quarantine is not really enforced like WA.

I went to Cairns last weekend and I picked up 2 bamboos, D. membranaceus & G. 'Rachel Carson'. He had EVERYTHING I want... but not at the plant sale :( . If I had known that he would be at the sale, I would've called him up and told him to bring Bambusa chungii and D. latiflorus 'Mei Nung'. And he is SO CHEAP!!!! He did have D. giganteus but for some reason Scott wants to get D. membranaceus instead. I think the guy in Darwin scared him off. It is ok, I will work on him.

That D. brandisii will go into my wanted list.... the new culm is gorgeous...!!! So... what did you get??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari,

I didn't get any bamboo's but I what I did get, and he gave it to me, was a Musa acuminata var sumatrana banana. I was very happy with that, and it cost me nothing. They are beautiful bananas with red markings on the leaves and fruit. A Phillipino friend of mine said this banana is very well sort after in the Phllipines and he wants a sucker when it gets established. I can't wait for spring to plant it in a trailer load of racehorse poo in a hot spot. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks anyway, Tyrone. It is not that hard to send to NT. The quarantine is not really enforced like WA.

I went to Cairns last weekend and I picked up 2 bamboos, D. membranaceus & G. 'Rachel Carson'. He had EVERYTHING I want... but not at the plant sale :( . If I had known that he would be at the sale, I would've called him up and told him to bring Bambusa chungii and D. latiflorus 'Mei Nung'. And he is SO CHEAP!!!! He did have D. giganteus but for some reason Scott wants to get D. membranaceus instead. I think the guy in Darwin scared him off. It is ok, I will work on him.

That D. brandisii will go into my wanted list.... the new culm is gorgeous...!!! So... what did you get??

Hi Ari, I see there's a few variations of brandisii, including 'black', 'variegated' and 'striated' all as tall as the empire state building. Big difference in size with D. giganteus and D. membranaceus, you've got plenty of room for all of these I'm sure.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

At my place, size does matter :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

At my place, size does matter :mrlooney:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great shots! T^He river shot is my favorite.I am feeling a little Bamboozled.

What you look for is what is looking

Just found another source for bamboo in Darwin. He only sells edible ones - as he is the tropical fruit source here. But, he got D. latiflorus "Mei Nung" and D. brandisii... so I ordered both!!! I am getting excited... Hopefully they will grow quickly and covered that neighbour's shed soon enough. Surprisingly... they are doing very well down there, with only weekly watering (my irrigation hasn't reach there yet).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, do you have a horse racetrack near you that gives away free manure? If so, get heaps of it and plant your little beauties in it. Then stand back and get out of there way. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

No...I have never checked at the horse track. We have a friend who has 2 horses.. and they always said that we are welcome to come and take manure any time, but I think Scott can't be bothered collecting it from 20 acres block and then shovelling it to the trailer.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone,

No...I have never checked at the horse track. We have a friend who has 2 horses.. and they always said that we are welcome to come and take manure any time, but I think Scott can't be bothered collecting it from 20 acres block and then shovelling it to the trailer.

Geez that Scott's a lazy so and so isn't he Ari ? Scouring 20 measley acres for some horse dung, what's the problem ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

My sister and her husband were lucky to live near a large stables , and agreed to empty the 44gallon drums that the stable boys filled up with super duper racehorse poo ... they got tons , and just piled it on a block they were landscaping prior to building .. lots of oats and other grains started sprouting so a row of compost tumblers appeared and a production line happened .. I gave Glenn a small rhizhome of Alocasia macrorrhizos and was astounded to see how much it grew in just one year in the soil he had created . Cannot remember what palms they planted there , but they thrived as well ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Yeh Michael, I found using horse manure to have it's downside initially owing to all the plants and weeds popping up, must have been mangy horses. That was in the early stages of my junglescape though. I soon switched to the more expensive sheep manure and the results were terrific.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

We used to have 2 horses on the property when we were building (a friend's ponies needed a place to stay for a while), and they used to hang out where the bamboos are now planted behind the dam. No wonder they are doing so well...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I can get horse and sheep poo.......which is better for palms, bamboo, banana's etc.

And what is the verdict on Bambusa textilis? My location is probably a bit warmer in winter than Gainesville but more coastal.....ie salty.

David,

I never use sheep poo (because there is no sheep in the territory :lol: ). But I know first hand horse poo is very good for bananas, bamboo and other stuff. Just make sure you compost them a little before putting in on sensitive plants.

Sorry... I don't know cold hardiness of bamboos. I know some are better than others, but I don't have to deal with it... so I am not too sure.

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"