IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sun Tans In Tropical Climates

Neofolis

I mentioned sun tans in another thread, but didn't want to go too off topic, so I started this.

There are obviously a few people on this board who live in climates with year round sun, but don't originate from such an environment. I appreciate fully the need to be careful, in terms of sun exposure, as with anything, too much or too little is bad, all things in moderation. I also appreciate that different people have different skin types, some of which don't cope with sun exposure particularly well.

That said, for most people, who don't have a very pale complexion, whilst they may burn when exposed to the sun, either for prolonged periods or when their skin hasn't been exposed for some time, usually once the skin has tanned, it is considerably less prone to burning. Since it is generally the burning of skin i.e. shock exposure and damage, that is linked with cancer and other skin problems, such as premature ageing, etc., I was quite surprised to learn that Don and Bo try to avoid tanning.

Personally, if I lived in an environment which had a potentially high UV all year, I would feel safer (and possibly more comfortable) going outside with a long term sun tan, through steady exposure, rather than always having to protect myself from the sun. I accept that some protection may still be required and that laying out in it all day is never a good idea, but having a sun tan that has been developed through regular short term exposure, enables the skin to adjust and create it's own defence.

With these thoughts in mind, I wondered about other people, particularly caucasian, living in the tropics and how they live with/in the sun. Do you try to stay protected for the most part and maintain an alabaster complexion or do you go for the regular short term exposure approach or do you just go out of your way to get sun stroke at every given opportunity?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Some people don't have a choice.... I have natural tan, of course, being Indonesian, but Scott (my other half) is as white as they come with red hair too... He gets burned very easily. He never has tan, only freckles.

When you get sun every day, you don't get excited anymore. We tend to stop gardening from around 11 - 2 as it gets too hot!! Scott would wear long sleeve shirts with shorts and very wide hat. And if he doesn't apply sunscreens every 2 hours, he WILL get burned.

I can understand your point of view... as I met a lot of British tourist/backpackers. They do love their tan :) :).

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Corey,

I believe you are referring to the tropical atmosphere thread. I have lived most of my adult life in tropical or subtropical climates. When I was a kid in Montana I used to get some pretty bad sunburns in the summer. Since heat was sparce for most of the year people tended to abuse themselves. It is always sunny, but cold and sunnny is not too comfortable. Back then there was less knowledge about the sun's damaging effect on skin and less protection as well. I recently had quite a number of skin lesions removed. None of them were serious. But, could become so if left untreated. As my dermatoligist said, I have one of the worst possible types of skin. It is not that I protect myself from the sun all the time. It is impossible to do so and still get around. And, I probably do have a light residual suntan. I don't get sunburned very easy any more. That is unless I really abuse things. What one needs to protect more, than I normally do, are areas like your ears, face, and even hands and arms. Both my parents have had skin cancers removed. Fortunately before they got serious. And, they live in Montana. Granted Montana has a lot of sunlight even if it is not always warm. The daily UV factor here in Manaus runs at 11 Extreme nearly every day. Even during the rainy season we rarely have more than a couple days were it is cloudy all day. Then there is just the shear comfort factor of staying out of the sun and keeping to the shade. The sun bakes your brains when it is directly overhead. But, it is great to be out in the sun on the river because you can jump into cool off. One of my favorites is hanging out in a floating bar in the river, in the shade and then jumping into the Negro River to cool off.

Here are a few shots of Gringo in the sun, or nearly. One fishing on the lake north of here, during the summer dry season (six months of the year) the sun gets real intense. But, I normally find a place in the shade for lunch, put up a hammock and take a nap. And, on a fulutante with my wife last September. She really has not problem with the sun, but still does not bake to a golden dark brown.

I think however live when in a tropical climate ones relationship to the sun is fundamentally different from those that live in colder and often much cloudier climes.

dk

post-188-1208864066_thumb.jpg

post-188-1208864272_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I totally sympathize with those whose skin won't tolerate sun at all and who will never tan. My point was just that having a tan serves as a better protection than sun block, etc., because it doesn't need to be re-applied every so often and you always have it with you. In terms of aesthetics, I think it is totally irrelevant, although I do confess to going a little sun barmy, which as you describe Don, is mainly the product of living in a usually cold and often cloudy climate.

I remember when my wife and I went to St.Lucia, on the first full day we were on a dive boat and I sat on the deck for 15 mins, at around 10a.m., when the sun was nowhere near at it's strongest, whilst being covered in factor 50 and I still managed to burn. By the end of the two weeks there, with my tan in place, I could happily spend all day outside, fairly exposed, as long as I wasn't just laying in it, without any sunblock with no burning at all.

As I said in my first post, there are obviously many different skin types, but generally a "healthy" tan, for those that can achieve it, is beneficial in the sun.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I have lived in the subtropics my entire life and have fair skin. While I do have American Indian in my near ancestry, I also have German and that's the skin I inherited!

I was burned several times in my youth and still get burned occassionally. I, like Don, have had a few lesions removed over the years. I go to the dermatologist twice a year for a full body scan and removal of any problem areas. I use a moistirizer with SPF 15 every day. If I will be out all day, I use something heavier that is also sweat-proof.

I don't try to be white and I think some sun is good for you (vitamin D and all). But I do try not to get burned any more.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Very interesting topic.Growing up in Florida I spent all my time outside.This coupled with fair skin is an issue.(Don-You and I are the same color)I agree completely with Corey that you can't realistically live your life in complete avoidance of the sun and over the years a tan is a helpful thing.I remember how dark my Grandfather became as well as my Dad.Some would say it was a weathered look but I think it is not bad.It is what it is.

I never used sun screen until I turned 50 and on my face alone.I see a Dermatologist regularly and he says my skin is fine.I never sunburn anymore except my face and thus the sun screen.I am in the sun alot because it's a little hard to avoid when you are a Palm and Golf nut.My guess is I will end up a dark weathered out guy in the end.

What you look for is what is looking

If you're light skinned, having a tan might save you from getting a sun burn but you're suseptibility for getting skin cancer is more or less the same. I sport a pretty healthy tan for German, but I always wear sunblock. I use spf50 if I'm fishing, surfing or dorking around in the yard for any length of time. My father is so tan that you would think he was from Mexico, but he has already had several lesions removed. His savage tan hasn't helped him out.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Your first sentence is definitely not correct. Whilst excessive time in the sun can cause an increased risk of cancer, whether you have a tan or not, burning increases that risk substantially. If the tan helps to avoid burning, then it is offering similar protection to the products from the parmacy that also help to prevent burning. Neither will stop the risk of cancer, but both will reduce it. Whilst the creams also have the added bonus of UV protection, tanned skin is less affected by UV, which is strange because lighter surfaces reflect more light and UV is after all light.

Another huge benefit of the creams is their moisturising effect. This is a definite downside of having a tan, because the skin is often more dry, but moisturising will aid in the same way that the sunblocks and after suns do. Usually when skin has been tanned for a prolonged period, the level of natural oils will return to somewhere near normal, however continued exposure to the sun will continue to have a drying effect. Oily skin also offers protection from the sun, so maintaining levels of skin moisture is always important, whether you do it with or without a tan.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Most dermatologists will tell you there is no such thing as a safe tan. A tan does not protect you from sunburn. A tan is evidence of skin damage from the sun. As already stated, the potential long term effect is cancer, and the shorter term effects are dry skin and wrinkles. While it is true that a sunburn increases your risk exponentially, any tan at all creates some risk, and malignant melanoma is a fast killer. All that said, I do enjoy developing a light summer pre-cancerous glow. Even so, a hat, sunscreen, and polarized sunglasses are required equipment for me, ever since my early years as a lifeguard. Whatever precedents may have been set by Coco Chanel, in some cultures, a tan is viewed as an indication of low class. Now that I think of it, the people in my city with the deepest tans are the homeless street people.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Corey,

You have sparked some interesting replies in this thread. I think that overall living in a sunny climate is better for your health than otherwise. And, getting some sun does have it's health benefits. I have really never taken too many precautions. Although as I said above I do not go out and bake. But, I can get quite a bit of sun even without sun blocks without getting a sunburn. I get a little red, but that goes away soon. Even though the day is always 12 hours here on the equator, the sun is very direct and intense. I have had office jobs off and on over the years. But, at the current time I spend a lot of time out doors, whether on the street or working outside. One thing I believe is that sun shine is good for your mood. And, I certainly do not want to live in a dreary, cold and otherwise miserable climate. In our climate which is always humid the moisture gives a bit of a break to your skin and with at least a minimum of precaution with too much sun exposure peoples skin stays pretty nice. One of the things that most impressed the early European adventurers to Brazil was that the natives did not wear too many clothes. That still remains the case. Another thing that goes with living our climate, humid lowland equatorial tropics is taking a lot of bathes. The norm here is for people to shower a minimum of two times a day, but the norm is more like 3 or 4 times a day. Being sticky and sweaty also goes with living in many parts of the tropics. This is something that some folks probably never get used to. That is unless they spend their entire time in the AC.

Here is a shot at work this morning. The sun beating down on the concrete can be brutal. I do try to wear my FSU cap when possible to keep the rays off of my nose.

dk

post-188-1208882991_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Corey,

I'm reluctant to disagree since I'm definitely far from an expert on the topic, but I happen to believe that Jason's statement (the first sentence, which you disagreed with) is correct. My understanding is that there are two issues at hand: short-term and long-term effects. Short-term, a light tan will prevent someone from getting burned badly, but long-term ANY kind of sun exposure can potentially cause skin cancer. This is something that takes a REAL long time to develop, and I've heard that those middle aged people (and there are plenty of them here in Hawaii) who develop skin cancer do so because of exposure much earlier in their lives. Needless to say, the more time we spend out in the sun in our later years, the worse the situation gets, which is why dermatologists are busy people here.

I remember an interesting experience just over ten years ago. We had just moved into our newly built house here, and we had bought the adjacent acre. We had our contractor come back and build a pavilion on that acre. He (a white guy) was here with his crew of two other (white) guys, and they were out there in the blazing sun with no shirts on. At the very same time, and only about 30 ft away, we had our Tongan friend and rockwall builder, Lakina, build a rockwall. Lakina was here with HIS crew of 3 other Tongans (all obviously brown skinned people), and these guys who had much more natural protection against the sun had longsleeved shirts and hats on!

Being from Sweden I have VERY fair skin, and even when I have a light tan, it's STILL fair. I'm much more careful now than in my younger days, even though I never, ever, baked myself on the beach the way I've seen many people do. That just never seemed like a particular good idea!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I dodge the sun here in SoFla when my activity permits... I wear big hats, shades B) , and long sleeves to avoid solar radiation. Not a fan of suntan lotions or oils, don't like the grease... To me a suntan, either functional or stylish, is not worth the risk of having my nose removed :angry: when I am older.

Bo,

Even though you are on the wet side of Hawaii do you get some sun most every day? Just curious. We normally do, but we do not have as much rain as you do.

William, I think that a lot of people living in South Florida have the same practice that you do. I think to a large degree the tourists are the ones with the tans and sunburns. And, you are right any sun will do some damage. But, then again being alive does damage to ones body. I guess it is just a matter of degree.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The sun trashes your skin, no matter how dark you are.

More melanin only makes the damage slower.

That said, I spent a lot of time parading around half-naked in my youth, but these days I cover up and sweat.

Being lighter makes you more prone to skin cancer, but being dark, even black does not make one immune.

The legendary Bob Marley, who was black, died from melanoma in his big toe.

Cover up. . . . Hate to lose you to skin cancer.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Agree with all said.Don't forget to see a Dermatologist atleast twice a year.

What you look for is what is looking

Don,

Yes, most days we do get some sun. I'd say, averaged out over a long period of time we probably have a scenario with about 70-75% overcast and 25-30% sunshine. But sometimes, especially during the winter, it tends to go from one extreme (very wet) to the other extreme (very dry and sunny and no cloudcover), and one of those extremes can last up to a couple of weeks. But even on a typical day, which IS mostly overcast, I still cover my arms and wear a hat when I'm doing stuff out in the garden. Even with clouds, it's still very bright, and I know the importance of being careful!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Your first sentence is definitely not correct. Whilst excessive time in the sun can cause an increased risk of cancer, whether you have a tan or not, burning increases that risk substantially. If the tan helps to avoid burning, then it is offering similar protection to the products from the parmacy that also help to prevent burning. Neither will stop the risk of cancer, but both will reduce it. Whilst the creams also have the added bonus of UV protection, tanned skin is less affected by UV, which is strange because lighter surfaces reflect more light and UV is after all light.

Another huge benefit of the creams is their moisturising effect. This is a definite downside of having a tan, because the skin is often more dry, but moisturising will aid in the same way that the sunblocks and after suns do. Usually when skin has been tanned for a prolonged period, the level of natural oils will return to somewhere near normal, however continued exposure to the sun will continue to have a drying effect. Oily skin also offers protection from the sun, so maintaining levels of skin moisture is always important, whether you do it with or without a tan.

"Your first sentence is definitely not correct. " Thank you doctor. I'll have another!

Please tan with abandon.

Note, the general medical consensus is that a "good" tan on a whitey is the equivalent protection of spf 4-5. I will continue to wear sunblock.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

As I said, I would certainly not lay in the sun all day, apart from the medical issues I can't think of many things more boring. In my first post I mention that all things in moderation are usually good. Too much time in the sun is bad no matter what colour your skin, just as total avoidance is bad, although for sum near total avoidance is necessary.

I was just surprised to see people who live in tropical climates with so little tan. Again, it's largely a question of skin type. My skin chages colour very quickly, which is both useful and dangerous. Useful, because I develop a tan quickly, which affords some protection, but dangerous because I can also burn quickly when I don't have a tan.

With the moderation in mind, some exposure with a light tan (relative to your natural skin pigmentation) and some protection or avoidance is the healthiest option, but various people will have very different skin tones within a similar regime.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Most dermatologists will tell you there is no such thing as a safe tan. A tan does not protect you from sunburn. A tan is evidence of skin damage from the sun. As already stated, the potential long term effect is cancer, and the shorter term effects are dry skin and wrinkles. While it is true that a sunburn increases your risk exponentially, any tan at all creates some risk, and malignant melanoma is a fast killer. All that said, I do enjoy developing a light summer pre-cancerous glow. Even so, a hat, sunscreen, and polarized sunglasses are required equipment for me, ever since my early years as a lifeguard. Whatever precedents may have been set by Coco Chanel, in some cultures, a tan is viewed as an indication of low class. Now that I think of it, the people in my city with the deepest tans are the homeless street people.

Kim,

What SPF factor do you think the street people use? Here in Manaus we have a few folks that for some reason are not in the type of hospital they should be for their medical condition that walk around the streets with no clothes on at all. I am not sure if they are more dirty than sun tanned though. There used to be a woman that walked an area of town where I lived who I would always see walking around the area naked. I wonder what happened to her as I have not seen her around for some time. I would not really call Manaus the Third World, but it does have some aspects which I would say could qualify. People here tend to be out in the sun a lot as most do not have cars and depend on mass transit to get around. One of the most common accessories is the umbrela. It serves both to keep the sun off of ones head and keep one dry when it rains.

Corey,

I think that for the most part people have to work to make a living and laying out in the sun is not something there is much time for anyway. For most living in a hot climate is not vacation, it is just everyday life. When I go to the beach I tend to sit in the shade. I guess I'm the only one posting Gringo in the tropics pictures. And, it was the picture of me in the stream at our land that prompted your inquiry about suntanned white folks living in the tropics. Anyway here are a few more. First it the Gringo Brega singer, well almost. As, you can see I am in the shade. And, second is Gringo drinking beer in the water while enjoying the view and the soothing effects of the black water on a hot summer day. This picture was taken in the height of our summer in November. I did use my sun block though.

I love life in the tropics that is really why I am here anyway, in spite of the risks of sunburn, dengue fever and malaria, not to mention crazy drivers.

dk

post-188-1208905361_thumb.jpg

post-188-1208905481_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Just to clarify, I have not suggested that people shouldn't wear sun block and shouldn't cover up or seek shade when possible. I was just trying to point out that skin that gets regular exposure to the sun, as long as it is not excessive, is less susceptable to the harmful effects of the sun, than skin that hasn't seen the sun for some time. Whilst we are not all alike, many people whose skin has regular exposure will have a sun tan and all will be less prone to burning, though some only marginally. The sun will be harmful to the skin a long time before burning, but burning is much more harmful than exposure without burning.

Another point about sun block. Whilst the chemicals used have improved greatly in recent years, even the waterproof and sweat proof varieties need to be re-applied regularly to be effective. It varies from brand to brand, but many of them will start to lose their effectiveness within half an hour of being applied, although will remain partially effective for somewhat longer. For most people going about their normal lives, re-applying sun block every half an hour is not a viable option and I doubt most people on the beach re-apply as often as that either. Even clothes don't afford total protection.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

My dermatologist told me that the damage is done when we are young and that it takes years to show up. I do have a farmer's tan most of the year. You can definitely see where my shorts stop! And my arms are much darker than my legs. I don't wear long pants or long sleeves in the heat but I stay out of the sun if possible between 10 and 2.

Like Don, I can't imagine living where I couldn't be outside every day in the sun. It just feels good! I can't lay on the beach - boring! - but I can work outside and sweat most of the day and not care. I just want a nice, cool shower at the end of the day. I also have an outdoor shower that I get under when I am working outside and get hot. No hot water but it certainly feels good!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Kitty,

Nothing like a good cold outdoor shower on a hot day. A real great variation is a shower on a boat while cruising the rivers.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

You are so right! It feels wonderful whn I am really hot and sweaty.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Noel Coward

In tropical climes there are certain times of day

When all the citizens retire to tear their clothes off and perspire.

It's one of the rules that the greatest fools obey,

Because the sun is much too sultry

And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.

The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,

Because they're obviously, definitely nuts!

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,

The Japanese don´t care to, the Chinese wouldn´t dare to,

Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one

But Englishmen detest-a siesta.

In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.

In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.

At twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,

that though the English are effete, they're quite impervious to heat,

When the white man rides every native hides in glee,

Because the simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.

It seems such a shame when the English claim the earth,

They give rise to such hilarity and mirth.

Ha ha ha ha hoo hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee hee ......

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

The toughest Burmese bandit can never understand it.

In Rangoon the heat of noon is just what the natives shun,

They put their Scotch or Rye down, and lie down.

In a jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast

The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.

In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.

In Hong Kong they strike a gong and fire off a noonday gun,

To reprimand each inmate who's in late.

In the mangrove swamps where the python romps

there is peace from twelve till two.

Even caribous lie around and snooze, for there's nothing else to do.

In Bengal to move at all is seldom ever done,

Visit this link to hear a snippet:

http://www.sabrizain.demon.co.uk/malaya/coward.wav

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It's just one of those traditional English "Pimms On The Lawn" type songs William. I don't recall it being used in any musicals, but I may be wrong, he did write many musicals, plays and films. It's actually one of Noel Coward's better known songs, which also include Mad About The Boy by Marianne Faithful/Gina Washington amongst others.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I'm off to the dermatologist next week for my second visit. Most aussies have sun spots under the skin, not visible, but can turn nasty (Skin Cancer) if not dealt with. I think we're the worst skin abusers in the world because of a our lifestyle, cricket, footy, beaches, it all starts in our youth and comes back to haunt us in older ages.

I'm in the middle of a "non-melanome skin cancer - solar keratoses" clearing process using special cream and my face is a cross between a leper and a leopard as I have told Clayton recently. If anybody insists I will post of pic of my dial, but be warned, it doesn't look pretty.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I have always had a slight tan, and never got sunburnt as a kid. These days I will get burnt on the nose if I don't put any sunscreen on, and of course since my hair fell out, my scone will burn if I don't wear a hat. So for many years I have worn a hat and sunscreen on the really exposed parts like nose, ears and neck. Apart from the cancer danger, it is just not fun getting sunburnt. As a kid I was in the sun all day, and copped my fair share of solar radiation. I was always one of the lucky ones as I didn't burn, whilst my mates used to go home red raw.

Here in summer the UV rating goes up to 16 or 17 on occasion, and is generally extreme for most of the daylight hours, so skin cancer rates are pretty high here. My brother in law had a very close call last year with Malignant Melanoma and was within an inch of receiving his death sentence. He has not seen sun on his back since he was a kid. He is 45.

Recently I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my ear. Not life threatening, but resulted in a very painful operation and recovery, as well as a painful hole in my wallet! All due to sun exposure, not sunburn. A few years ago, I had eye surgery to remove a pterygium, again very painful and costly.

All of this was due to UV exposure, and these medical conditions are experienced by all kinds of people with all skin types.

All I am saying is that sun exposure is bad for you over time. I never sunbathed in my life, but have certainly had my share of sun exposure through daily activities in a sunny climate. Be very careful inthe sun...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I'm off to the dermatologist next week for my second visit. Most aussies have sun spots under the skin, not visible, but can turn nasty (Skin Cancer) if not dealt with. I think we're the worst skin abusers in the world because of a our lifestyle, cricket, footy, beaches, it all starts in our youth and comes back to haunt us in older ages.

I'm in the middle of a "non-melanome skin cancer - solar keratoses" clearing process using special cream and my face is a cross between a leper and a leopard as I have told Clayton recently. If anybody insists I will post of pic of my dial, but be warned, it doesn't look pretty.

Wal,

I know what you mean about looking like a leper! Been there, done that a couple of times! Now I just have her burn the "pre-cancerous" spots off and I'm done. Beats looking like a leper for 3 months!

As I said in an earlier post I go twice a year and she always finds something to use her little bottle of nitrogen on. But better to look like a leper than die from melanoma.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Sun causes aging, spotting, etc... but I only wear a hat and I don't glob on sunscreen, I think it's useless. There are many reasons for skin problems which include skin types, genetics, etc.. that determine your fate, and the guidelines today to cover your body with white gue, hats and scarfs is just silly. Look back in history and see how many times Doctors, Avocates, etc... were wrong. I have known fisherman, plantmen and other people who have been baking in the sun their whole life and never had Melanoma. I assume our bodies were meant to go outside, right? It's not like we are the Morlock from the Time Machine movie and have to live in a cave. All the Melanoma cases I have seen were usually Red Heads, or Blondes, most of which lived by piling on sunscreen. I have seen cases of Melanoma on peoples feet who never took off their shoes. I became curious about 10 years back why all of a sudden we had to live in caves or die of Melanoma. I spent a week in FLorida at my moms apartment and saw hundreds of 80 and 90 year olds baking in the sun every day and they looked like Louie Vittan Handbags, never having gotten cancer. I have never seen a State where there were more people ready to be turned into suitcases than I have in Florida. My dermatologist says to just live your life and don't go overboard and you will be fine. Like Wal, if I get a spot I just get it zapped with Liquid Nitrogen and get on my way.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

There is also the view that the real villan is not the sun, but florescent lighting. I have no idea what the skin cancer rates were before modern society evolved. In general people lived shorter lifespans. But, it would be interesting to know if those that did live longer had the skin problems we currently do. This article has some interesting points. Florscent lighting and skin cancer

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

afraid here in the sub tropics we are like the natives of the aforementioned poem, thats why GOD invented palappas, a nice shady place to escape the hellish sun of south TEXAS!

• Like 1

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard