Sign in to follow this  
redant

El Niño is coming!

Walt

Sunnyfl: Absolutely, any kind of wind block (whether hardy trees, shrubs, walls, fences, etc.) is going to knock down the wind speed. That's why I feel I escaped dessication type of injury to my tender palms back on Jan. 24, 2003, while areas that are far warmer than my place during radiational cooling (windless) nights got their palms and plants dessicated.  The areas I refer to were far more exposed to the direct wind than at my place, surrounded by large trees.

SunnyFl

Walt, that dessicating wind can really do it.  It was so strong that night that it even blew over a small crepe myrtle tree planted the previous summer, as well as frying 3 fronds of my spindle.  But from the photos you've posted in the past, it looks as if your palms are well-protected - even from the radiational frost-events, with all that shade.  It all looks so nice, very tropical.

By the way, wasn't that your place in the latest issue of Palmateer?  With the Bishocks and RLR?

Walt

Suunyfl: No, but there was a Palmateer article of my place back in 2003. The CFPACS held there June 2003 meeting and palm auction here. Things have grown much more since then, plus I have new additions. Another CFPACS meeting may be in order here in a couple of years. If the meeting happens, I will miss Bob Riffle not being here. Bob was at the June 2003 meeting.

SunnyFl

Hi Walt,

The photo in the Palmateer was taken in June 2003 in Lake Placid.  It was commemorating RLR - it's on P. 21 of the September 2006 issue.  Do you have your copy yet?

Walt

Sunnyfl: Yes, I have my Palmateer issue but hadn't read it yet when I replied to you.

Yes, the photo on page 21 was taken at my home.

Here's another photo of Bob Riffle:

2170372730042496162vgTAyo_th.jpg

by waltcat100

And one other photo:

2984990290042496162Fdrjtt_th.jpg

by waltcat100