IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

El Niño is coming!

redant

Sunnyfl: Absolutely, any kind of wind block (whether hardy trees, shrubs, walls, fences, etc.) is going to knock down the wind speed. That's why I feel I escaped dessication type of injury to my tender palms back on Jan. 24, 2003, while areas that are far warmer than my place during radiational cooling (windless) nights got their palms and plants dessicated.  The areas I refer to were far more exposed to the direct wind than at my place, surrounded by large trees.

Mad about palms

Walt, that dessicating wind can really do it.  It was so strong that night that it even blew over a small crepe myrtle tree planted the previous summer, as well as frying 3 fronds of my spindle.  But from the photos you've posted in the past, it looks as if your palms are well-protected - even from the radiational frost-events, with all that shade.  It all looks so nice, very tropical.

By the way, wasn't that your place in the latest issue of Palmateer?  With the Bishocks and RLR?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Suunyfl: No, but there was a Palmateer article of my place back in 2003. The CFPACS held there June 2003 meeting and palm auction here. Things have grown much more since then, plus I have new additions. Another CFPACS meeting may be in order here in a couple of years. If the meeting happens, I will miss Bob Riffle not being here. Bob was at the June 2003 meeting.

Mad about palms

Hi Walt,

The photo in the Palmateer was taken in June 2003 in Lake Placid.  It was commemorating RLR - it's on P. 21 of the September 2006 issue.  Do you have your copy yet?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good