IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea Sp (cycadifolia)

Alberto

RPS site says: A smallish, possibly undescribed Ravenea from Madagascar, clearly related to R. glauca but with more numerous, very finely divided, Cycas-like leaves. We think it has enormous potential for horticulture. A must-try for any serious collector.

Other german site says it comes from dry thorny forests from south Madagascar.....

I´ve heard it is very cold hardy...

Who grows this palm?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 1 month later...

bump

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt ,thanks for the bump.I have read that R.glauca is frost tolerant.I am not concerned about cold weather.I just thought it was an interesting palm and wanted to try it.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Yeah, I got started on a search after seeing your post and this popped up so I just bumped it. Probably too new to get any info but it does look pretty cool.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 5 months later...

Bumping again :mrlooney:

Just received this palm from a nursery in Germany: Thrinax

Apparently it was found in the south of Madagascar by Gunter Gottlebe of http://seeds-of-madagascar.com/

The first photo shows the inflorescence(copyright Gunter Gottlebe)

Second and third photo are of my plants

Any thoughts?

post-37-1227820125_thumb.jpg

post-37-1227820167_thumb.jpg

post-37-1227820200_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

What a beatifull healthy little palm! Ik ben jaloers!!! :mrlooney::drool:

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I ended up with 100% germination.Seedling growth is slow.My seedlings still have just one leaf.The small treepot is filled with an extensive root system so I imagine their growth rate will increase soon.Mine are planted in a light quick draining mix and receive direct sun for 2-3 hours daily.

DSC00394.jpg

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I have read that R.glauca is frost tolerant.I am not concerned about cold weather.I just thought it was an interesting palm and wanted to try it.

I ended up with 100% germination.Seedling growth is slow.My seedlings still have just one leaf.The small treepot is filled with an extensive root system so I imagine their growth rate will increase soon.Mine are planted in a light quick draining mix and receive direct sun for 2-3 hours daily.

Scott is your seedling a Ravenea glauca?

@Len

Thanx for the tip , do you have any pix?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Charles, my seedlings are supposed to be Ravenea sp. cycadifolia.I purchased the seeds from RPS.

Charles, my seedlings are supposed to be Ravenea sp. cycadifolia.I purchased the seeds from RPS.

Thanx Scott

I think the small stature rules out Ravenea sp.giant looking at the pictures on Jungle music

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Planted this seedling today and was wondering what the current thoughts were on this one. Received 10 seed june 2008 and got one to germinate, I am not very good at germinating seeds.

post-641-1238368096_thumb.jpg

JC

• 1 year later...

This is my largest Ravenea sp. cycadifolia.I just potted it up from the small treepot you see in my first post.It is about 8 inches tall and really does look like a miniature Cycas.We have had an incredibly wet and dark rainy season and I was afraid I might lose these to rot or fungus but they are doing great.I think the key is a light free draining mix.It is a little slow but you can see it has grown in two years.

post-175-094211900 1286316103_thumb.jpg

It looks like what came around here as 'louvelli" or "juliette".

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Scott, Do you remember what the seed looked like? I got some seed from RPS a few years ago as Ravenea albicans, which it was not. But the seedlings look pretty much identical to yours, and very similar to but I think not the same a palm I bought as Ravenea louvellii. The seed had a smooth surface, was about 1/2" in diameter and flattened on one side.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Scott, Do you remember what the seed looked like? I got some seed from RPS a few years ago as Ravenea albicans, which it was not. But the seedlings look pretty much identical to yours, and very similar to but I think not the same a palm I bought as Ravenea louvellii. The seed had a smooth surface, was about 1/2" in diameter and flattened on one side.

Matt

Matt, you can still see the seed in my first post.The seed looked similar to Caryota gigas.A large seed for such a small palm.

Matt

My R albicans from RPS turned out looking exactly like this palm. Have wondered if they are actually R sp cycadifolia.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Scott's seedling does look like R.louvelii or R.albicans(if it has white underside leaflets)

Seed on R.louvelii is ovoid sometimes flat on one face almost half an inch(13-9mm) says POM and it looks like this is the size of the seed attached in the first photo.

Unfortunately there is no description of the seed of R."cycadifolia"(Tyrone do you have a pic of your seed?)

Last but not least my seedlings do look different and also not so cycad like; no seed attached unfortunately

post-37-023460200 1286370808_thumb.jpg

post-37-097984900 1286370835_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Hi all !

Here are my RPS Ravenea sp. (Cycadifolia) seeds,

raw and after a few days soaking.

Took ~1 month to sprount (~60% germination rate).

Now (2 years later) they're on their 4th leaf.

Regards

post-3033-007078600 1286400727_thumb.jpg

post-3033-021686100 1286401620_thumb.jpg

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather10_both/language/www/global/stations/08540.gif

Scott's seedling does look like R.louvelii or R.albicans(if it has white underside leaflets)

Seed on R.louvelii is ovoid sometimes flat on one face almost half an inch(13-9mm) says POM and it looks like this is the size of the seed attached in the first photo.

Unfortunately there is no description of the seed of R."cycadifolia"(Tyrone do you have a pic of your seed?)

Last but not least my seedlings do look different and also not so cycad like; no seed attached unfortunately

No pic of the seed, sorry. I can't even remember what it looked like. I've repotted these "R albicans" up and i must say that they are an easy grow though a bit slow. Always really deep almost black green, not phased by winter at all. They're not even phased by a rat that ate all the leaves off, they just grew back. I bought in two seedlings from another supplier as R albicans too, hoping they'd have white under the leaves and bought the same plant whatever it is. I still do not have R albicans. Probably incredibly hard to come by. R albicans is bifid for a long time with white underneath whereas this plant is pinnate from the get go and deep green everywhere. Looking at my plants, they look like they'll produce a long leaf eventually but not very wide, which would make them look like a Cycas a bit. Maybe the collectors thought they'd found R albicans for some strange reason and actually found R sp cycadifolia, or maybe even something else. I can't wait to see what these will turn into. I've got quite a few of them, so Ravenea being a dioecious species will require a few plants for future seed production. I'll plant them all in the same vicinity and stand back and see what they become. I've got plans for these in my front balinese courtyard I'm going to build. Imagine them in amongst black lava rocks and bromeliads. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Palmick!

Nice to meet you!

You sure started off with a bang . . . . :drool:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tyrone,

I have in my entire time gardening, had one palm eaten by a rat...and it was my Ravenea (not) 'albicans' from RPS, same as you. Apparently these could be used as rat attractant, internationally. How strange! Mine also is growing back nicely.

The seed photos posted by Palmick are definitely very close if not identical to what RPS was selling as R albicans, I think it is likely that they are the same as R 'cycadifolia'.

I'm also excited about this palm, seems like a slow but steady and robust palm.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Someday I'll post a pic of a true local albicans... VERY white under the leaves..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here are my RPS Ravenea sp. (Cycadifolia) seeds

raw and after a few days soaking.

Took ~1 month to sprount (~60% germination rate).

Now (2 years later) they're on their 4th leaf.

Thanks Palmick and bemvindo on the forum

Any pictures of your seedlings?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Going to the top of my Wish List!

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

@ Dave: Thanks ! And nice to meet you too !

@ Charles: Obrigado ! I'll post seedling pics as soon as I get to shoot them at their present development stage.

Regards

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather10_both/language/www/global/stations/08540.gif

Meanwhile, here are some germination /early seedling potting pics.

Regards

post-3033-072166400 1286836559_thumb.jpg

post-3033-017217000 1286836573_thumb.jpg

post-3033-074030900 1286836605_thumb.jpg

post-3033-075566800 1286836621_thumb.jpg

I agree with BS Man, Matt in SD, and Tyrone.. I bought seeds of R. albicans from RPS only to find out they were actually Ravenea louvelii which is a crappy, slow-growing ravenea IMO. Only have 1 or 2 left out of 100. It may not be all Toby's fault.. blind leading the blind and all that.. :hmm:

If they are Ravenea louvelii I'm really happy with them. They're deep green and pristine. I actually thought they keyed out a R louvelii as well. If that's what they are I'm extremely happy. Haven't lost one yet, not even to total rat defoliation. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

One of my ~2 years old seedlings,

now on its 4th leaf (plus 5th spear showing).

Leaflets underside on the 2nd pic.

Regards

post-3033-016541500 1287437363_thumb.jpg

post-3033-077334100 1287437889_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I still do not have any R.cycadifolia but I hope to have it ...in future.:mrlooney:

How are the little palms growing? How they fared trough the winter?

Thanks!

I still do not have any R.cycadifolia but I hope to have it ...in future.:mrlooney:

How are the little palms growing? How they fared trough the winter?

Thanks!

Mine are still chugging along very happily. I may pot them up this spring.

Best regards

Tyrone

My small cycadifolia is slow, 2 little leaves in one year and after a long hot summer, now is 5 leaves, this is an old picture

4985732661_187886c510_z.jpg

Federico

Ravenna , Italy

USDA 8a\b

16146.gif

This is my largest,just about 22cm tall and about 30cm in diameter.It has gotten much fuller this past year and has 8 mature leaves and one emerging.I think I will plant this one out ASAP.I think it will do well planted on the rocky hillside behind my house.

post-175-065446600 1317219491_thumb.jpg

post-175-058590400 1317219648_thumb.jpg

Nice palm,Scott!gt

• 8 months later...

Okay, now I’m a little confused……

I purchased Ravenea sp. (Cycadifolia) from RPS and when the seeds arrived they were labeled as Ravenea dransfeildii (Cycadifolia). While in the previous posts I saw no mention of R. dransfieldii. Also as you can see, the seeds look nothing like those in the photo from Palmick. What have I ended up with??

The good news is that one seed germinated after one night soaking in warm water, so I’m off to a good start regardless.

post-6760-0-47632400-1341351539_thumb.jp

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

Marcus I just ordered a Ravenea dransfieldii from PPP, a 20/40 cm plant supposed to arrive next Tuesday, so I can compare it with my young R.cycadifolia

Here is the picture from their catalogue

post-37-0-29669100-1341647171_thumb.jpg

And here a recent photo of my R.cycadifolia

post-37-0-61504400-1341647245_thumb.jpg

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Charles, your R.cycadifolia is really taking off.I planted my largest potted one almost a year ago and it has not done anything.I am hoping that it is establishing a massive root system and one of these days I wil see an explosion of growth.