nomolos

Garden Atmosphere

nomolos

nomolos

nomolos

nomolos

Mark_NoVA

#104 and #105 look like pictures from Mike's garden in Marietta, South Carolina. It's in the mountains there, in what sounds like a great local climate for gardening. Some of the pictures of his Moso bamboo are breathtaking, many mixed in with hardy palms, and I have definitely used some of his photos as inspiration for my garden!

See http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v417/MikeMariettaSC/, and click on some of the albums in the box on the left.

Edited by Mark_NoVA

ruskinPalms

Cool garden pics! Very inspirational for future projects.

nomolos

nomolos

Bon

G'day Sal, excellent pics and discussion. I have just moved into a new house in Southern England and my objective is to recreate a jungle. There is no plan. I will add plants as I aquire them and who knows what the end result will be. My first project has been to build a propagator in the garage. I have fitted a hot water radiator and have built a cupboard around it. The propagotor is is 75% complete. All my palms will be grown from seed so its definatley a long term project. It will be interesting to see what palms I can get to survive in this climate.

nomolos
G'day Sal, excellent pics and discussion. I have just moved into a new house in Southern England and my objective is to recreate a jungle. There is no plan. I will add plants as I aquire them and who knows what the end result will be. My first project has been to build a propagator in the garage. I have fitted a hot water radiator and have built a cupboard around it. The propagotor is is 75% complete. All my palms will be grown from seed so its definatley a long term project. It will be interesting to see what palms I can get to survive in this climate.

Any pics yet?

ariscott

You know you can grow more stuff down under... :rolleyes: . Is there still many Aussies your way? I heard some of them thinking about coming home?

Regards, Ari :)

chris.oz

Sol,

I love the samples of gardens you have posted. Trouble is, I love them all.

You selected some of the best photos of each garden genre.

Looking at gardens that are a meld of palms and other plants there are many variants.

Looking at pure "palm gardens" well of course Bos' Hawai garden is one of the best in the world.

But the garden of Tony from DFW and of course Dick from Walnut Creek rank as great

gardens where the climate for palms is less than ideal.

I have chosen a theme of shade tolerant palms under dicot canopy, with a clivia ground

cover in the shade and bromeliad ground where where there is sun.

My palm list inlcudes lots of cool tolerant palms like Howea [ both types] Rhapis humilis and excelsa,

Hedyscepe, Archontophoenix, Phoenix, Ravenea, Chamaedorea, Dypsis , etc.

So the theme is best described as eclectic jungle, as the combination of plants

would not otherwise occur anywhere on earth.

nomolos
Sol,

Looking at gardens that are a meld of palms and other plants there are many variants.

Looking at pure "palm gardens" well of course Bos' Hawai garden is one of the best in the world.

But the garden of Tony from DFW and of course Dick from Walnut Creek rank as great

I have chosen a theme of shade tolerant palms under dicot canopy, with a clivia ground

My palm list inlcudes lots of cool tolerant palms like Howea [ both types] Rhapis humilis and excelsa,

Hi Chris

How are those Bizzies you germinated a few years back going?

Kris

Dear Sol :)

lovely gardens stills and i admire the pains you have taken for us in compiling it in a directory form and with proper headings to each still...

great work my friend... :)

Some of the gardens in those stills were indeed close to heaven or paradise...since that is what i have imagined a paradise would look like all these days ? :)

thanks & love,

Kris :)

chris.oz
Sol,

Sol,

I succesfully germinated about 30 Bismarckia, in deep pots and got to 1-2 simple leaves. Then one by one they died over the first winter. ( fully exposed)

However, my potted Bismarckia is still alive. They can be induced to grow here in FULL sun but they are not the same robust palm you see in the tropical / sub tropical area.

nomolos
Sol,

Are you going to plant your potted one?

Sol,

I succesfully germinated about 30 Bismarckia, in deep pots and got to 1-2 simple leaves. Then one by one they died over the first winter. ( fully exposed)

However, my potted Bismarckia is still alive. They can be induced to grow here in FULL sun but they are not the same robust palm you see in the tropical / sub tropical area.

_Keith

Sol,

I love this thread. Those pictures are great inspirations. If you find more, please continue to add them on here.

Keith

nomolos

Moon Gate

88344634.N0xwsQtZ.MoongateDSC_0114.JPG

Moose

This is an awesome thread: :D

I am attempting to create a place of tranquility in my micro clime mini jungle. :)

OverGrown

I love this thread! Very inspirational! I like variety, colors, textures, balance and a well kept look to make it look intentional.

Edited by OverGrown

aussiearoids

lots of the images are not there for me to see ,, is something wrong ?