IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Atmosphere

nomolos

This is what a Tropical Rainforest looks like. Is this what people imagine it to be?

post-188-1208806068_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tropical rain forest type and thankfully will be in Hilo full time by January next year. Not too many options other than that up where I'll be living. Have started the planning and can't wait to begin the hardscape.

I lay awake at night just thinking about it. Bo, I'll be stopping by for some of those Clinostigma in late May!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That looks great Don, although I probably wouldn't want a large road running through the middle of my garden, a few trails with woodchip on the ground would suit me better.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

In this landowners case his lot is about 5 kms wide by 25 kms deep. So the road does not really have much of an impact.

Tim,

That sounds like an exiting project. You need to plant a bunch of Euterpe precatoria as well.

Here is a picture of a middle aged gringo in a rainforest landscape. Actually I am sitting in the stream that runs through our 50 hectares up the Negro River where my wife spent much of her childhood, igarape maravilha.

dk

post-188-1208811122_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Looks like a nice place to cool off after you've been planting a bunch of palms! And you've come a long way from Montana...! :)

Tim,

Yes, I will be here in late May (getting back from Costa Rica before mid May), so just let me know when you want to come by. For Clinostigmas and Euterpes!? :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

The water is really quite cold. The place is abandoned now and is a project for the future. When Raquel was small she and here brothers and sisters had to get up at dawn and take the morning bath in the stream before walking down to the canoe about 500 meters away and the paddeling their canoe to school about a km down the stream. Back then they had an area around the stream made into a natural pool. Since no one has done anything there for the past 15 years it has sort of reverted to its natural state.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, how do you manage to live in Brazil and not have a better sun tan, that's quite an achievement.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

As you can see from the photo, Don is obviously smart enough to stay in the shade! :mrlooney: This place (Hawaii) is full of white people who think it's a good idea to be out in the sun and cultivate their skin cancer! :(

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Corey,

Bo is exactly right. I do not make it a habit of sun sitting out in the sun. And, when I do I use sun block. I already have had a few problems with my skin from earlier days of abuse. I do have a bit of a tan, I would even whiter if I got no sun. The sun here is extremely brutal when it is out in full force. When I am working outside I often use a long sleeved fishing shirt and always wear a hat any more. I think in most tropical climates the locals don't tend to hang out in the sun. And, you don't normally see locals fried red with sun burns either. Since sunshine is the norm instead of the opposite there is no real incentive to go out and get yourself baked.

Simona that is a beautiful oasis.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ask me again in 10 years.. and hopefully I can post photos from my own garden by then....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This is what a Tropical Rainforest looks like. Is this what people imagine it to be?

That pretty much fits what I imagine a tropical rainforest to be. Maybe that is the San Diego Zoo's fault! Quite a few of my favorite tropical plants seem to come from the new world. Plumerias, anthuriums, some types of hibiscus etc...

When I first came to Hawai'i, the native forest shocked me... it didn't fit my idea of a tropical forest at all. (I guess because technically it's not!) You always hear about how "tropical" Hawai'i is and expect it to look like the TV show "Lost." I thought Hawai'i would fit the stereotype and look lush. Whenever you see a lush jungle scene from Lost, most of the plants you see are not native. Turns out all the plants that I like over here are not from are not even from Hawai'i... go figure... :huh:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Italian terraced style

BBQ.jpg

Courtyard garden

The%20Philosophical%20Garden%20-%20Courtyard%20garden.jpg

Private Sanctuary

Kilauea1BedroomsSleeps3_11782106167811.jpg

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Outside room garden

image002.jpg

Godswana garden

heligan.jpg

seaside garden

costa_rica_travel_garden_lg.jpg

Paradise

lapa_rios_garden_b.jpg

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mediterannean garden

palm_and_aloe_garden.jpg

Colourful Garden

ButchartSpring.jpg

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

'Paradise' would be OK with me... :)

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Don, I guess with a plot of that size, a road is quite a useful thing to have, otherwise it could take a couple of days to get to the tree you need to prune.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Bo, heck yes Euterpe too. You happen to have any available?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Yes - Euterpe edulis, oleracea AND precatoria!

I love all types of gardens, I want my backyard to be "jungle" nothing too fomal and lots of dense plants with mulched paths meandering. fire pit and a hammock clearing.

with my shed/tiki shadehouse on the other side of the yard.

here are some photos I saved, they are in Spain somewhere. This is perfect for the front yard, slightly manicured but still tropical feeling with a light overhead shade.

more

:drool:

post-741-1208916053_thumb.jpg

post-741-1208916111_thumb.jpg

post-741-1208916159_thumb.jpg

post-741-1208916210_thumb.jpg

post-741-1208916240_thumb.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

:drool: Paradise, your pics are paradise! Thanks for sharing!

Here's another oases pic...

post-1383-1208957976_thumb.jpg

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Don, you got it!

More and more, I just want my garden to look dense and healthy. I have not been happy with the way a lot of my palms look after a 29F freeze...They are alive, well and growing technically, but they are holding a lot of beaten fronds that are aesthetically displeasing. I am starting to appreciate hardy palms more and more since they will look flawless in my climate while still acheiving the atmosphere I crave. Marginal palms in my garden beware!!!!!!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Don, you got it!

More and more, I just want my garden to look dense and healthy. I have not been happy with the way a lot of my palms look after a 29F freeze...They are alive, well and growing technically, but they are holding a lot of beaten fronds that are aesthetically displeasing. I am starting to appreciate hardy palms more and more since they will look flawless in my climate while still acheiving the atmosphere I crave. Marginal palms in my garden beware!!!!!!

Bill, That is also my thinking now.

I always strive for that thick rainforest look. I enjoy mulched pathways to lead to places where the eye can not see. I like small pieces of art tucked in as well. The concern of course, is that for many understory plantings, their has to be some sun. With the taller palms all gettting up trapping most of the light, what does well with little light becomes limited.

I know, my neighbors think I am absolutely crazy since you can no longer see but the top of the roof line...even from the street, but that's just how I like it. Thick and manacured.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Here is a shot of a tropical rainforest. This area the understory is mostly Attalea speciosa. I was on a game trail which ran through the area.

dk

post-188-1209078599_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I was hoping to have rainforest area in the back of my property... a bit like the rainforest loop in the George Brown botanical garden - for those who has been there or Don's photo ... So, hopefully it will be self sustaining in 10-20 years (if we are still here), self mulch... and with a lot of understorey palms and other plants - with occassional clean up. Definitely nowhere near manicured. The only manicured bits will be garden around the house... There is nowhere I can maintain 5 acres of manicured garden...

The other side of the block will be tall timber parts ... hopefully where I put my teak, mahogany and all the timber trees and some big clumps of bamboo (dendrocalamus). In front of it... is where my coryphas and other BIG fan palms are. Waiting for my mauritia, Don :winkie: (kidding....). And behind the house (towards the front of the block) is where my fruit trees are going. I can see it already that I will run out of room in 5 years time!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

Don't forget your grove of Tahina spectabilis! :lol:

Bo-Göran

lomg and winding path

sideyard1.JPG

great place to sit

Calif_Sue_1148277641_621.jpg

Outdoor room

Calif_Sue_1148278984_603.jpg

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Gawd look at this Gourd

mobot_hanging2_sm.jpg

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Lupins great nitrogen fixer and palm compliment

lupin

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Lupins great nitrogen fixer and palm compliment

lupin

I wish I could grow lupin! Tried it but no cigar....much too hot.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I have put together a presentation of my garden from its early stages to present with some music. My lovely wife of 30years singing and myself playing the guitar.

Just copy and paste the following

http://www2.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/I...L_17TH_2008.wmv

Cheers

Mike

:drool: Amazing transformation Mike especially the photo with the rock. A real jungle. Any room left for more plants?

Cheers

Sol

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South