IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Kings survive Dec. 1990?

ghar41

I have seen more than one stump that were the remains of King palms from the hard freeze of Dec 1990.  Does anyone know of any specimens that survived here in N. California?

Surely there had to be some along the coast or in San Francisco that made it.  I know that Inge Hoffman had some planted up against her house in San Leandro (Sunset zone 17) that didn't make it.

I planted this A. cunninghamiana (Illawara) in 1997.  It has 12 feet of clear trunk.

post-376-1157625736_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Glenn,

how cold did it get during that freeze (and how long did it last)?  ..

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Glenn:

What's your topography?  Topography is destiny in Marginal Mediterranean Climates.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The house where I used to live in No. Calif. is in a spot in Contra Costa County (the El Sobrante Valley) which got very cold in 1990; luckily it was after I had moved away to HI. I had no frost there at all for years at a time while I lived there.  But former neighbors reported several nights of around 20°F in the 1990 freeze with ice in the shade which didn't melt for a number of days.  I had an old Archonto. cunninghamiana with about 10 ft. of clean trunk below the crownshaft there in my garden which was defoliated by that freeze, but survived and grew back fine. It had always been an especially robust specimen.  I have hoped that someone at some time took seeds from it to propagate. Unfortunately the owners chopped it out a few years later to build a new retaining wall.  The archontophoenix in the Lakeside Palmetum in Oakland also survived that freeze with just a bit of damage as I recall.

(BobbyinNY @ Sep. 07 2006,09:50)

Glenn,

how cold did it get during that freeze (and how long did it last)?  ..

Yes, Dave in So Cal, good ol microclimes saved many a plant during that 3 or 4 day period.

Alright ! Garren has a couple of examples of survivors!  I'm sure there are more.  My understanding is that the Oakland Palmetum sits in one of the most prized horticultural areas in all of N. California, good warmth and very few freezes.

As far as our temps here, Jeff in Modesto has provided us with a local newspaper clipping from the day following the lowest local temperature recordings.  Again there was a few days where ice in the shade didn't get much of chance to thaw...

post-376-1157667848_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

A neighboor of mine that was here in 1990 said that it got to around 17 and didnt get out of  the upper 30's in the day. He had 3 GBOP's 2 died completly all the way to the ground, the other one died but new sprouts came back. He also had a 5 foot washy which had lots of damage. He said that the ice didnt melt in the day. He also rememberd that the news channel said that Mount Diablo got to 8F.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Truckee, California (Sierra Nevada mountains @170 miles east of Modesto) hit minus 28 that night, 60 degrees below freezing.  

I think I lost my Rhapidophylum up there!   :P

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b