IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

5 new seedlings today

Logolight

Today I'm the proud owner of my first 5 Carpentaria Acuminatas. :D   It only took 30 days from being freshley picked to germinate them.  I have them in an air tight Sterilite container with a 50/50 peter/perlite mix.  So here's my questions:

1.  How long do I keep the lid on considering there's another 15 seeds still to germinate?

2.  When should I start introducing direct sun light?

3.  When will it be time to transplant this particular palm?

Thanks.

Dave the Logolight

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Dave,

not familiar with the Sterilite containers, but assuming they have a cover, you can leave everything in the container until the seedlings are so tall that they begin to push against the cover. At that point, remove the cover, and hope that a few more seeds will germinate. You also need to pay attention to the moisture level in the soil (after removing the cover). Carpentaria seedlings are probably pretty hardy (I have germinated plenty of seeds, but actually never any Carpentaria seeds), so even if it gets pretty dry, no big deal. Just don't let it stay dry for more than a day or two.

No need to put them in direct sunlight for a LONG time (a year or two), and in the meantime just keep them in filtered light or under shadecloth. Pot them up when you feel they are beginning to crowd each other. This will probably happen when the seedlings are 6-8 inches tall or so, depending on how close you have them in the container. As long as they look green and happy, no particular urgency.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo.  I guess I'll keep them in the garage for now while it's still warm.  I'll have to move them inside in another month when it starts cooling off outside so I need to figure out how to keep them warm once I bring them insideinside.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF