IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Jack Spade"

malcthomas

Having followed David's thread (Alicehunter2000) concerning the shifting of the two Washingtonia, I am now very curious about the use of the 'jack spade'.

I had never heard of such a gadget and am now toying with the idea of getting one for palm removals.  There is a Chinese brand jack hammer (1700 watts) on the market for under $NZ400 which will take the 'clay spade' attachment.

David, can you comment on how useful the jack spade was?..I see that you still need to trench with shovels and spades for such a big tree, but was wondering how it would work with small field grown palms such as Kentias and whether it would operate in soft soils.

Has anyone else used one of these that could comment on this..

many thanks...Malcolm.

you will have a lot more luck in your search for information if you call it a dyna diggr,

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

palmotrafficante

Many thanks for that..a couple of sites have been helpful

Malcolm

Hey Malcolm, just noticed your thread. From what I saw it was very useful. In fact Jaque commented that the Mexican's hated it because it decreased their hours. But I have to say, they dug pretty fast as well. He used it primarily to cut the bottom, and as you can see from the pictures it worked well. Our soil up here is primarily sand; although most home sites have clay mixed in for foundation stability. Hope this helps.

Oh..... and Tad.......I was wondering what it was actually called. Thanks.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

David...

I have bought a demolition breaker and made up a blade for it...it works a treat..in the process of making a second longer and wider blade.

From what I found on the net about the Dyna Diggr it can get a bit tyresome if using over longer periods where as the electric breaker is effortless.  I will be running it off a generator.

I am absolutely stoked now that I saw you photos and was put onto the Dyna diggr to research...many many thanks

kind regards...Malcolm

Cool, glad its working for you.............totally unrelated...........Alice Cooper was just in New Zealand/Australia/Tasmania/Japan..........did you hear any news on the teli' about it? Just curious? Always a good show.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 31 2008,07:52)

you will have a lot more luck in your search for information if you call it a dyna diggr,

Man, that is an awesome tool.  How much does it sell for?

Also, there is a whole lot of difference between digging in sandy soil versus stick clay.  How does it perform in the later.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

it dont!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(palmotrafficante @ Apr. 03 2008,15:26)

it dont!

That's a shame, but not a surprise.  

And I had already found the price and talked myself into buying one.   The video makes it look awesome, but I noticed that pure perfect sandy soil they were digging in and became suspicious about performance in clay.   I have broken more than one "last a lifetime" shovel in this stuff.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

David

Alice COOPER played in Wellington along with Ossie OSBORNE and others...   I only heard one radio critic talk aout the show and I can't recall what he said about COOPER...he did say that he was not impressed with OSBORNE but the crowd appeared to love him...sorry can't give you any more than that...

Keith...

I will let you know about my one when I test it a bit more..I have driven it into my lawn which is a heavy loam...the 360mm blade taking just seconds to bury itself...the problem is in the extraction, as once in, the spade does not pull out freely....I thought I was really onto a lemon when I first tried it...it was just a case of a

a small wiggle to the left and a small wiggle to the wight and the blade came out easy-peazy...

As for clay, I'm picking that any digging should be when it is dry, not puggy...Palms need to be transplanted in summer months here which is our dry time of year...

I would be curious to know how the Dyna-diggr works and whether it still hammers when there is no pressure against the spade, as in withdrawing...

I see the digging attachments for breakers are commercially called 'clay spades'

regards...Malcolm...

• 6 years later...

I hate to bump this old thread but have been curious about these for years now. A local guy has one and the native sabal diggers aren't fans of it. Anymore experience with these or know where a used one is at?

I hate to bump this old thread but have been curious about these for years now. A local guy has one and the native sabal diggers aren't fans of it. Anymore experience with these or know where a used one is at?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/dyna-diggr-zmaz84ndzraw.aspx

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B