IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia marmorii

Gaston in Argentina

Hello to everybody.-

A new Butia specie of the complex Butia campicola was discovered by Dr. Noblick in Paraguay and a small area of N.W. argentina that is named Butia marmorii (or mormorii ) i saw years ago and bring some seeds which were germinated in my garden in Cordoba.-

Its a subterranean trunked palm, with narrow long leaflets, round fruits, multiple stemed.-

Here`s a picture about how look after 5 years.-

Note the narrow leaflets of the palm.-

butiamarmoriiandgastonkm5.jpg

The palm is now completely extint in Argentina but perhaps not in Paraguay grasslands.- In a 2007 with IPS member Rodney Anderson trip to the small place i just was able to watch only one of the 20`or 30`that were surviving in 2004.-

Less of a hundred seeds of the same harvest i sent to Hawaii, California and Europe years ago but at this momment i dont know if they have germinated or the plants are still alive.-

If not, my two plants would be the only into cultivation outside the few surviving in a small place in Paraguay.-

More info about this palms theres available online in:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Butia/campicola.html

Theres an excelent article about this palms in PALMS magazine 2 years ago.-

Best regards from the not stop to rain Cordoba, Argentina.-

Gaston Torres Vera

Hi Gaston, What about some pics of your two palms by now? Would be nice to see how is the grown from five years to now.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Canelgat.

That`s how look the palm by this days.- The pics was taken some days ago.

It seems to be a slow growing palm under my climate and not sandy soil.-

Note the long soft leaves, i think they are simmilar to the Nigel Kembrey`s fabulous palm Butia lallementii but smaller, wich is pictured in:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Butia/lallementii.html

The genous Butia is a puzzle, theres many different stemless species, all differents.-

Holla Gaston!

Were it this palms that´´dissapeared´´and you only found holes?

BTW Did you see this topic?

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....emantii

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto

I was favorably impressed to know about this Butia specie lallemantii surfing in PACSOA website and reading the excelent article with photos by Nigel.

Sound a very interesting palm, simmilar but not the same then this mine pictured.

This mine come from seeds of the lost palms of N.W. Argentina extreme, limit with Paraguay and very near to Brazil.-

Certainly, in jannuary 2007 there was just holes in every spot where before there was this rare palm.-

After hours i just saw only one palm hidden into the grasses.-

Sad, sad, sad

I was guiding a IPS member arizonian friend to show the rare Butias, but,, nothing....

I know who was the person who dig them, and where most are yet located....

Gaston,do you have a seedling of the Butia microspadix seeds?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!