IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ti Plants

spockvr6

(richtrav @ Apr. 03 2008,23:42)

and ones like Kiwi .......started going into decline after a few months here.

Rich-

Kiwi is one of my best growers!  Most of mine are in filtered light (and get lots of water) and appear to put on several feet of stem a year.  

I am trying 3-4 stems now in full sun, but I think it might be too much as the plant seems to be losing a little color.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(aussiearoids @ Apr. 04 2008,03:45)

There is a real giant cultivar here called Maize that I must get , but I have always liked Rooster Tail . Ari there was miles of it at Whyanbeel .

Here is an old pic. of it .

Oh... that's what he meant by cornlike...  :P . Yes... they do grow here.

Some cordylines I find colour better in the sun...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 03 2008,14:45)

This one was not named, but very pretty.  Anyone have any ideas?  It looks like maybe "Exotica" perhaps?

Ti_09.jpg

Larry, Looks like Exotica to me.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Is anyone growing Maize in the U.S. or know a source for it here? I have read that it is a type that branches easily, unlike so many of them.

Richtrav, you can buy a Rooster Tail at Pacific Tropical Gardens . http://www.pctgardens.com/mm5....ode=HTI

I ordered one from them last year and was sent one of good size. They have changed owners and now I have heard that their shipped plants are much smaller.

Ken

Ken

Richtrav & Larry,

Thanks for the tips and advice. Maybe I will try to kill a few more , before I completly give up! Maybe to much sun, and not enough water,more than the cold?

You guys make them sound so easy,and I do love the look, and colors of these plants!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Ken, does their Rooster Tail look like the cultivar from Australia? There is a form that goes by that name in Hawaii that is completely different, and Frank Brown sells one in FL by the same name that again is totally different. As far as I know the Australian form is not available outside Australia. It looks like this:

http://www.cordyline.org/rtail.htm

David (Blonddude)

Certain nurseries in Southern California have ti plants grown by Montery Bay Nursery. Depending on the nursery they can cost anywhere from $10 to over $20 for the same one gallon plant. Shop around. The following is a list of the plants that are available, taken from their website.

'Auntie Lou'  foliage  deep burgundy red, broad blade. rev 8/2007

'Black Magic'  nursery plants  huge, broad green leaves, over 4" across by up to 2 1/2' long, turn deep bronzy brown, almost black in more intense light, with occasional broad salmon pink strokes splashed on the new growth as well. A fast, very robust landscape type, possibly with the largest foliage of any Ti Plant. rev 11/2006

'Bolero'  leaves  compact, with broad olive green leaves, reddish veins, and featuring a magenta rose edge. rev 10/2007 *NEW for 2008!*

'Bolero Bicolor'  foliage  leaf is split coral pink and bronze. Broad blade, moderate size. rev 8/2007

'Florida'  foliage  this might just be a generic name for a variety widely found in landscapes in Florida. Bronzy green to maroon, with streaks and splashes of fluorescent pink and bright coral red. rev 8/2007

'Jackie'  foliage  bronzy olive green, shaded purply red on the new growth and leaf undersides. Occasional splashes of coral pink appear on mature plants. rev 8/2007

'Maria'  foliage  bronzy green with leaves edged and streaked with flamingo to coral pink. rev 8/2007

'Maroon Magic'  nursery plants  narrow dark burgundy bronze leaves, new growth on older plants is deep, deep coral red. Fast, vigorous, landscape type. rev 9/2006

'Orange'  foliage  light olive green leaves, new growth strongly colored light salmon pink. Vigorous. rev 8/2007

'Passion Pink'  nursery crop  medium green leaves, new growth heavily colored with flamingo to salmon pink. Vigorous. rev 8/2007

'Pastel'  foliage  green leaves edged in red and flushed rose and coral pink on the new growth. rev 9/2007

'Pink Integrity'  nursery crop   older, winter  narrower leaves, splashed and edged flamingo pink at the edges and on new growth. A fast landscape grower too, to 4-7'. rev 9/2006

'Purple Dazzler'  foliage this is most likely an interspecific hybrid based on leaf texture and growth characteristics. Also known as 'Black Ribbons' and 'New Guinea Black,' the latter being probably the best name. This is a robust landscape form that of course also makes a great container or house plant. It is easily recognized by its long, rather narrow, glossy purple black leaves that have nicely wavy edges. It grows relatively quickly and is one of the best for trying outdoors in California, subject to the usual limitations. Try this one in strong light. One of my favorites! rev 7/2007

'Purple Prince'  new foliage  the bluest of the purples, a quite unusual color. rev 1/2008 *NEW for 2008!*

'Red Sister'  new foliage, mature plants  broad coppery leaves with occasional pinkish stripes on the new growth. This is another one to use if you want a fast, upright, copper colored variety. rev 5/2007

'Rikki'  foliage, young plants  dwarf, very compact, broad leaved, dark maroon bronze with broad magenta pink margins. rev 5/2007

'Xerox'  new foliage  broad leaves, brilliant neon magenta pink new growth fades to a thin, intense coral pink edge. Somewhat compact, but still vigorous. rev 9/2006

See pictures at their website at http://montereybaynsy.com/

Tropical Vibe Nursery in Newport Beach also has a good supply of unusual ti plants. They are open Friday and Saturday mornings.

Tropical Vibe

Newport Beach Nursery

(Near John Wayne Airport)

20301 Kline Dr

Newport Beach, CA 92660

http://www.tropicalvibe.com   They have a list of their ti plants on the web, but it looks like they have changed the website. Now you have to register to have access to it.

I hope this helps you located varieties you do not have.

Ken in South Pasadena

Ken

Richtrav,

The Rooter Tail I received is different from the photo you referred to. Mine is a dark red/burgandy with weeping leaves. There is no green at the growing point as your pictures show. Thanks for letting me know that there are different plants with the same name.

Ken in South Pasadena

Ken

If any of you SoCal guys want reasonably priced Ti plants, Ill be happy to buy some locally and ship them to you (Ill strip the soil off and send just the rooted and leafed stems to save weight).

For $9 we can get 3 gallon Ti plants of various types.  Each 3 gallon pot usually has 3-4 stems in it.

Id guess that one could fit a good number of these stems in a flat rate USPS Priority mail box (which is something like $7-8 to ship).

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 03 2008,19:38)

(keiththibodeaux @ Apr. 03 2008,18:53)

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 19 2008,13:36)

Keith-

I have littered this board with photos of my yard.....but not many recently.

These days, its hard to get good photos as I dont have a panorama lens and my yard is getting full!

Just getting back to this one.  I'll dive into the archives.

I will take some more this weekend......Im due for a round of photos to document growth!

Keith-

Here are a few more pics.  I decided to plan the new Tis around three Spindle palms which are planted as a group.  I also added a half dozen Mammey Crotons to the area as well.

Ti.jpg

Ti_01.jpg

Ti_02.jpg

Larry 

This is the time of year when Crotons and Tis start to really take off.    You can see all the new growth coming out green.

Ti_08-1.jpg

Ti_09-1.jpg

Ti_10-1.jpg

Larry 

This area here is alsmost entirely comprised of new Ti cuttings which I stuck in the ground last week.  In about another month or so, they should be nicely leafed out and this area should look nice and full.

Ti_29.jpg

Ti_30.jpg

Ti_31.jpg

Ti_32.jpg

Larry 

Larry,

One question why didn't you put your LAWNMOWER up for sale in the "For Sale section",when you got rid of the heaters,and frost cloth?  :;): :P

The Ti's and crotons look great!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Apr. 06 2008,14:55)

Larry,

One question why didn't you put your LAWNMOWER up for sale in the "For Sale section",when you got rid of the heaters,and frost cloth?  :;): :P

HAHAHAHAA!  My father told me the same thing!

I dont have the heart to sell the lawnmower though as it is a Toro that cost a pretty penny and you never know when you might need one again (with this depressed market....bigger houses on larger lots are starting to look more appealing.....)

Larry 

You have been busy!! It would be nice to see how those cordylines look in a year or two. It doesn't take long for them to get established - which is a good thing. Instant garden!!!

Are they red crinum on post #98? They are gorgeous!!! How long have you had them? I guess they are in semi shade position?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari-

Yes...those are Queen Emma lilies in post 98.  They are in full sun most of the day.  When these flower (and they do heavily), the aroma is stunning!  These grow fast.  I got them from my friend Walt in Lake Placid, FL 2 years or so ago as pups off of one of his plants.  I stuck them in the ground right away and they grew to this size in about 1.5 years.  They try to pup heavily, but I remove all the pups as I want single plants in this area.

And yes...these Cordylines will get established quickly.  Over the past 3 years Ive added alot of them to the yard (along with probably 100 Crotons as these two plants together really are great accents) and they really grow fast.  I cut most of the Ti plants back at least once a year and simply stick the cut ends back into the ground and get more free plants!

Larry 

Looking very good, Larry. I have one of them myself, but I haven't put it in the ground yet, as I am still debating on where to put it. I need to give it a bit of protection here. As I said, my full sun is FULL sun as all my plants are young - although they have been growing double in size in the last 3 months of rain.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Larry,

Maybe you can rig up that TORO so it's a wood chipper,rather than a grass cutter. I'm sure they have an attachment. Then you wouldn't have to buy all those bags of mulch! :D

In post 99 is that your queen palm out front, in the left hand corner of the bottom pic?

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bought from Tropical Vibe before and had good luck with the plants. I do "Ti Rescue" by buying the lonely plants, sad and alone at Lowe's or Armstrong's.

I ordered 30 cuttings from Seeds Hawaii. I got fifteen 12" cuttings Mauna Kea :

Mauna%20Kea.jpg

And I got fifteen cuttings of the regular, long leaf green Ti leaf. I can't get the long leaf varieties here for some reason.

Thanks for the links and list, Ken.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David,

I also look for the ti rescue plants in the nurseries. I've bought some 5 gal. ones at Lowe's for 75% off. They snap back very quickly. I was also fortunate to get some of the huge 5gal. types that sold originally for up to over $100 (especially at Armstrong's,where everything is overpriced) for only $5 each. They really looked awful, but again started looking half way decent after a few months.

I have looked at Seeds Hawaii before and have pondered about buying from them. It seems that you were satisfied, so maybe I'll give them a try. I have obtained most of my unusual varieties by bringing canes back from growers in Hilo and the island of Oahu.

There are quite a few ti plant enthusiasts down near Torrence that often attend the plumeria meetings in Orange County. Perhaps we should form a Cordylline group to swap material with each other.

Ken in South Pasadena

Ken

Larry,

I loved the pictures of your croton and ti plants. It's a look a lot of tropical lovers in Southern California would like to have. The ti plants do well here, but grow about as half as fast as yours because of our cooler weather. Some crotons do quite well , but many are cold sensitive and are prone to root rot during our long wet cool season. I hope you post more photos again after the summer growing season.

Ken in South Pasadena

Ken

(blonddude @ Apr. 07 2008,00:45)

Mauna%20Kea.jpg

That place actually looks pretty well priced for the Hawaian cuttings!

Are the cuttings actually 12" long (rather than 6") as shown on the site? And, is shipping reasonable?

I might order a few varieties that I havent seen around here....cant get enough of these plants!

Larry 

Lowe's by me had one called "Lemon Lime".

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Apr. 07 2008,07:03)

Lowe's by me had one called "Lemon Lime".

I might have to swing by and grab it!

Is this the Lowes on South Dale Mabry (near Gandy)?

Larry 

Yes but there was only 1 left yesterday afternoon.  It must have been a hot item.

(Ray @ Tampa,Apr. 07 2008,08:33)

Yes but there was only 1 left yesterday afternoon.  It must have been a hot item.

I was by that store early last week and didnt see that one.  So, what ever shipment they got in must have come in after I went by and went fast  :angry:

Did they have any other oddball ones there?

Larry 

I saw nothing else as eye catching as that one.  Bolero, Black Magic and Red Sister were the others I saw.

I saw the lemon lime on Friday at Lowes on 22 ave. I didn't think they were as nice looking as the more colorful ones. Maybe because it looks better in more shade?

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I was able to find Maria and Aunti Lou Lou this weekend.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(Scott Mcintosh @ Apr. 07 2008,12:02)

I was able to find Maria ......this weekend.

Scotty!  Where did you find "Maria"?  I havent seen that one.

Larry 

But, I am as hopeless as ever...and terribly addicted to these Ti plants....as on the way home (early) today, I stopped by a Super Walmart and picked up 4 more "Pastels" for 9 bucks each.

Larry