IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ti Plants

spockvr6

Im looking for a bunch of Ti plants (Cordylines) to fill in certain areas of my yard. Even just cuttings would be fine and any and all varieties will do.   Obviously, something different than the big box stores would be cool!

Does anyone in the Tampa Bay, FL area have any they want to sell/trade, etc?  Or, any leads on good places to get them locally?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

I told you I'd likely have a few for ya. Question though, they are not all alike. What colors combos are you looking for, what type of sun does this area get?

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Junglegal-

I have not forgotten about you...for sure I would love some cuttings from your plants when you are ready to take them.

As for colors, sun exposure, etc.......any and all!  Some will be in full sun areas and others will be in semi-shaded areas.  So....Im open to anything.  

I am starting to get "into" these plants!  Like Crotons, there are so many out there, it seems impossible to ever get bored with them.

Larry 

Also...any of you Hawaiian guys want to take some cuttings of of your Ti plants and send them to FL?  I know there are loads of different ones out there.

Larry 

There is a seller on ebay noveltyg that sells cordylines from their HI Nursery. I've gotten several from them in the past. I just traded for a new dwarf called bronze baby so try posting on Dave's. I have the most luck over there with the tropical plant trades.

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 19 2008,12:46)

As for colors, sun exposure, etc.......any and all!  Some will be in full sun areas and others will be in semi-shaded areas.  So....Im open to anything.  

Larry, how about some pictures so we can see what you are up over there.  Then you can do some "after" pictures later to go with these "before" pictures.

OK, I confess, I just want more pictures.  

Dangit Dave, you are wearing off on me.  Stop it.  Pusher.  :D  :D

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith-

I have littered this board with photos of my yard.....but not many recently.

These days, its hard to get good photos as I dont have a panorama lens and my yard is getting full!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 19 2008,13:47)

Also...any of you Hawaiian guys want to take some cuttings of of your Ti plants and send them to FL?  I know there are loads of different ones out there.

C'mon Hawaiian dudes!  I know you want to send some cuttings to FL  :D

Larry 

I foudn some nice ones in Lowes tonight.

I was able to buy Black Magic, Global, Kiwi, Exotica, and Bolero.

They also had Hawaian Boy and Auntie Lulu, but they were ragged looking, so I didnt get them.

Does anyone have any input on sun/shade for the varieties I bought to look their best?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 20 2008,19:54)

I foudn some nice ones in Lowes tonight.

I was able to buy Black Magic, Global, Kiwi, Exotica, and Bolero.

Larry!  Where is this Lowe's???

I just got the most beautiful cordyline I think I've ever seen - truth is, it's one of my very favorites of all my plants and I am KICKING myself for not getting a 2nd one.  

It's called "Dr. Frank Brown" (after the writer of the cordyline and the croton books) - it's a deep maroon in color, the new leaves open in a lighter maroon, and the whole plant has recurved leaves so it looks a bit like a giant flower.  Very exotic-looking and incredibly beautiful.

Got it at the big Searle Extravaganza.  I have to have another!

BTW, do you have Red Bell Pepper or Pink Diamond?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I have black magic in full afternoon sun, kiwi looks best in filtered afternoon.

(SunnyFl @ Mar. 20 2008,22:31)

Larry!  Where is this Lowe's???

Its the Lowes in Clearwater on Gulf to Bay (just east of US19).

The Tis were starting to look a tad picked over when I was there last night though.  It appeared the rack had alot more plants in it (perhaps last weekend.)

Larry 

(junglegalfla @ Mar. 21 2008,08:29)

I have black magic in full afternoon sun, kiwi looks best in filtered afternoon.

Junglegal-

Thanks for the input.  I actually have quite a few stems of those varieties but couldnt resists a few more.

I would have thought Black Magic would look lousy in full sun, but mine have been full on baked and seem fine with it.  I love theis variety!  It develops such a huge full head of leaves!

My Kiwis are in some semi full / semi filtered sun and also seem to be fine.

Both of these are robust growers too.  They develop height quickly and also have fatter stems than the more ubiquitous "Red Sister".

Larry 

Larry, you found the best place to buy Ti plants in the Tampa Bay area.  I used to stop in at Lowe's all the time just to check on their regular Ti shipments.  I found varieties there that I have never seen in other garden centers.  Their garden buyer must be a Ti lover!  

Do you have Sherbert?  It was one of my favorites because of the very long leaves and fat, sturdy stem.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff-

Yes....Lowes is many times well stocked with some different varieties!  Its hot or miss among stores sometimes though....some stores only seem to carry the usual Red Sisters and maybe Xerox.

As for Sherbert...not sure if I have them!  I have some in my yard that I dont know the names of, and I am just started to get "into" these plants, so Ive got alot to learn!  I definitely like the varieties with the fat stems!  

Are there by chance any different Tis down in Costa Rica that you would be able to take cuttings from and ship up here?

Larry 

Larry, too bad I'm not in Hilo, got a ton of them growing everywhere. Sorry to be so ignorant on the species, but have three or 4 different types. I'll look for some pictures, they maybe already something you can acquire where you are. I guess it would be ok to ship cuttings from HI. to Fla?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim-

Any cuttings from HI would be great!

Yes.....if what I have read online is correct, cuttings can be shipped from HI to the mainland without issue.  Whole plants with roots, etc require the inspections, etc.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Mar. 26 2008,08:27)

Jeff-

Yes....Lowes is many times well stocked with some different varieties!  Its hot or miss among stores sometimes though....some stores only seem to carry the usual Red Sisters and maybe Xerox.

As for Sherbert...not sure if I have them!  I have some in my yard that I dont know the names of, and I am just started to get "into" these plants, so Ive got alot to learn!  I definitely like the varieties with the fat stems!  

Are there by chance any different Tis down in Costa Rica that you would be able to take cuttings from and ship up here?

Larry, I was never good at remembering the names of these plants but here is one that I had in Tampa that I particularly liked.  I will try and find a photo of Sherbert, I know I have a bunch of them stored somewhere.  The best Lowes for Ti plants was the one on S Dale Mabry in South Tampa.  Every week I was finding a couple new ones and I had quite a collection when I sold my house.    

I figured there would be all kinds of cool Ti plants here in Costa Rica, so I didn't bring any cuttings with me.  I could kick myself now for not bringing some!    

2005_0622Image0030.jpg

I really haven't seen many Ti varieties here.  Mostly Red Sister and some green ones.  Although if I find anything cool, I will let you know and I would be happy to send you some cuttings.  Here is one that I photographed at my friend Alexander's farm.  At least I think it's a Ti?  I've seen this one before and I think it's pretty common whatever it is.  

PC020025.jpg

And Red Sister

PC020176.jpg

I found a pic of Sherbert but it's not a real good photo of this plant.  This was a really good grower for me under live oak canopy.  

Sherbert.jpg

If you're interested, there are 20 Hi-Res photos of some of the nicer Ti's over on Palmpedia.

PALMPEDIA TI PLANTS

You will need to register quickly to see them though. Here's a tease.

post-11-1206821370_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean-

You cant tease me with those Ti photos!  Now I am going to bug all you Hawaiian dudes all the more for some cuttings!

Fantastic photo.....will go register to see the others now.

Larry 

(Jeff in Costa Rica @ Mar. 29 2008,03:49)

Here is one that I photographed at my friend Alexander's farm.  At least I think it's a Ti?  I've seen this one before and I think it's pretty common whatever it is.  

That is a real beaut Jeff!  I love those types which hold their leaves for long lengths down their stems.

Larry 

Here is my Frank Brown cordyline.

post-94-1206856621_thumb.jpg

St. Pete

And another, the newly-opening leaf

post-94-1206856820_thumb.jpg

St. Pete

As a general rule, the darker colour cordylines can take more sun than the pale colour ones. The pale ones tend to burn in full sun, although there is always exception to the rules.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sunny, that's a beautiful plant!  I had one in Tampa that someone sent me in a trade.  He called it Dr Brown.  I really loved the wide leaves and color on this Ti!

I need to get mine Dr. Brown in more sun! Dang Larry, now you gave me the bug for these worse than I had it before  :D

Jeff, you're right - I omitted the "Dr."   Did you grow yours in sun or shade?

Bren, I don't know how much sun it wants since mine isn't planted out yet.  I just got it a couple of weeks ago and we brought inside to enjoy for a while.  It's outside now, in a sheltered spot.  Interesting what Ari said about the darker-leaved cordylines taking more sun - we have a Pink Diamond and it likes filtered light, not too much sun.

St. Pete

It is the general rule, but then... as I said some are exceptions to the rules.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Guys/Gals-

I just picked up a "Hawaiian Boy".  Does anyone know if this will take alot of sun?  Its got dark leaves so hopefully "Ari's rule" applies?

Larry 

(junglegalfla @ Apr. 02 2008,07:19)

Larry,

Did you find that one locally?

Yes...at Lowes!

As Jeff mentioned, many times Lowes really does have a pretty decent selection of Ti plants outside of the "normals" that everyone has (Red Sister, Xerox).

Ive seen Hawaiian Boy at several of the Lowes stores, but picked this one up at the Lowes on S. Dale Mabry in Tampa.

They also had Exotica, Auntie Lou Lou, Bolero and Black Magic that I can recall, as well as Red Sister and Xerox.  But, much like the Lowes on Gulf to Bay I mentioned above, their selection did look "picked over", so when the next shipment comes in things might be better.  

I usually will not buy a 3 gallon Ti plant unless there are a minimum of 3 stems in it, but this Hawaiian Boy only had 2.  I caved since both stems were really nice and big.  

Ive bought some Tis from Lowes with 6-7 stems in one pot!  And, all Tis are $8.98 regardless of variety, so from what Ive found they are probably the best source for Tis around here.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 02 2008,06:49)

Guys/Gals-

I just picked up a "Hawaiian Boy".  Does anyone know if this will take alot of sun?  Its got dark leaves so hopefully "Ari's rule" applies?

I found a few sites online that seem to indicate that full sun is best for this Ti variety and will give the best, darkest color.   Sounds good to me  :D

Larry 

Where can we find a good selection here in SoCal? I have gone to ordering from the Big Island. There must be a closer source...

Aloha Tropical has a few but the cost for what I got made it a one time purchase. Anyone have ideas?

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 02 2008,06:50)

(junglegalfla @ Apr. 02 2008,07:19)

Larry,

Did you find that one locally?

Yes...at Lowes!

As Jeff mentioned, many times Lowes really does have a pretty decent selection of Ti plants outside of the "normals" that everyone has (Red Sister, Xerox).

Ive seen Hawaiian Boy at several of the Lowes stores, but picked this one up at the Lowes on S. Dale Mabry in Tampa.

They also had Exotica, Auntie Lou Lou, Bolero and Black Magic that I can recall, as well as Red Sister and Xerox.  But, much like the Lowes on Gulf to Bay I mentioned above, their selection did look "picked over", so when the next shipment comes in things might be better.  

I usually will not buy a 3 gallon Ti plant unless there are a minimum of 3 stems in it, but this Hawaiian Boy only had 2.  I caved since both stems were really nice and big.  

Ive bought some Tis from Lowes with 6-7 stems in one pot!  And, all Tis are $8.98 regardless of variety, so from what Ive found they are probably the best source for Tis around here.

Larry,  I was laughing when I read your post because I used to do the same thing.  I always looked for a pot with a minimum of 3 stems but broke that rule on several occasions when it was a really nice big plant (Like Sherbert or Schubert, whatever it's called.  I think I have been spelling that one wrong).  

I used to stop by that particular Lowe's all the time since my old house was only about 3 minutes away.  I would stop, run in, check the Ti selection and usually would end up buying one or two.  You can't beat their price for the size plants you get.  But, Ti plants were just about the only thing I ever bought at Lowe's.  I found their palm prices way higher than HD.

How about a pic of your Hawaiian Boy?  I'm not sure if I know that one.

(SunnyFl @ Mar. 30 2008,16:54)

Jeff, you're right - I omitted the "Dr."   Did you grow yours in sun or shade?

Sunny, mine was growing in filtered light under oak canopy and yet it still had a really dark color to it and grew well for me.  It seemed like every time I planted Ti's in the sun in FL, they would wither away and die although I was probably not watering them enough.  I eventually started planting them in filtered light and they grew much better for me.

Lowes is the place for Ti's in Tampa. I started with my Ti collection last year. I have Red Sister,Bolero,Exotica,Tri-color,Kiwi,Hawian Boy,Black Magic and last week found Jackie. Still looking for Dr.Brown and Aunti Lou Lou.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Larry,

i was going to email this but thought it may be of interest to the group.

Here is that ti plant Princess Kyla. I gave you a small log of this one. In the shade, it's very pink.

100_1070.jpg

11-26-06003.jpg

Here is a cutting (hence the slight wilting) but you can see how it went from pink to purple overnight. Something to keep in mind depending on the look you like best

100_1127.jpg

(Scott Mcintosh @ Apr. 03 2008,13:14)

Still looking for Dr.Brown and Aunti Lou Lou.

Scott-

I picked up 2 Dr Browns today at WalMart and an Aunti Lou Lou at Lowes!

Larry 

Ti plant JACKPOT this week!

First, I visited Junglegals and picked up a variety of cuttings including--

Princess Leisha

Princess Kayla

Purple Prince

Miss Andrea

plus some others

Ti_26.jpg

Ti_27.jpg

Ti_28.jpg