IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Backyard Birdies

putu enjula

Of course the first thing that struck me about the Big Island was the scenery...  the second was the sounds...   which, when you practically live in the forest, come from the birds.

The bird situation here is very interesting...  there's different types of bird populations....   there are: native birds (what's left of them), the birds that were officially released, and the escaped pet birds.  

The only bird in Hawai'i that also lives in SoCal is the House Sparrow so I wasn't familiar with any of the birds here except two (the other being the screech/barn owl).  So I bought a book about birds of Hawai'i and put up some bird feeders!

IMGP0448.jpg

What do you think? Are the bird feeders a hit?

SUPER ZOOM - CLICK HERE

You may need to click image again.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

IMGP0435.jpg

This a male Kalij pheasant. They were introduced in 1962 to Hawai'i and are originally from Southern Asia.

IMGP0478.jpg

This is the female in front.

IMGP0472.jpg

IMGP0424.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

This is a Yellow-Billed Cardinal. They are native to South America... "first recorded in Hawai'i in 1973."

IMGP0501.jpg

BTW I'm getting my info from the Hawaiian Audubon Society's "Hawaii's Birds"

IMGP0515.jpg

They seem to go for the cat food...  they like meat! grrrrr!!!  Tough meat-eatin' birdies.

IMGP0522.jpg

It has a piece of cat food.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Here they are again with a couple Zebra doves...  which were introduced from Asia in 1922.

IMGP0525.jpg

There are a MILLION doves here...  they're like pigeons.

You may have noticed that there was a bunch of them on the ground in the first picture...

one day I counted over a hundred (I counted them as they landed)!

I put out extra feed to attract them because there is an endangered native Hawaiian bird I am trying to help out...  hahaha  it's a bird of prey of course!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

This is an "Io." It  is the reason I like to keep extra doves around...   sounds mean but, a Hawaiian Hawk's gotta eat! Last time I checked, Zebra doves aren't endangered, and the Io is an endangered species. IMGP7244.jpg

IMGP7245.jpg

Sorry for poor quality, it was about 200 ft. away.

IMGP7246.jpg

It visits our yard about three times a week and usually perches in the same Ohi'a tree.

DSCF6088.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

DSCF6089.jpg

I was in awe one day watching this bird fly...   it was doing dive bombs and loops to where it would fly upside down.  It's about 18" tall.

DSCF6090.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

This lil' birdie is a Saffron Finch, native to South America introduced to Hawai'i in the 1960s.

IMGP0479.jpg

IMGP0465.jpg

IMGP0601.jpg

A Saffron finch with a Java sparrow... guess where it's from!  Indonesia of course!

Originally introduced in 1867 and reintroduced in the 1960s...  there seems to be a million of them.

PLEASE ADD SOME OF YOUR "Backyard Birdies" to this post :)

I want to see more pics of that OWL... he was cool!!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Wow you people in Hawaii already have great plants and now you have great birds too??

Grear pictures too by the way.  What camera and lens are you using for those shots?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Angela,

Thanks for a great post!!  I'm an Audubon member and love seeing great bird photos.

Thanks for posting,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Did you see any of the native honeycreepers, the oo and iiwi?

GREAT PICS of the other birds, especially that hawk.  Yike, not an easy picture to take.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Ken Johnson @ Mar. 28 2008,10:02)

Keep 'em coming.

What palms are those under the feeders?

Satakentia  :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Thanks everyone for your response!! :)

I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in this thread!

I know I promised but...  I can't resist!

IMGP7149.jpg

They ARE some of our backyard birds so I thought I would include just one pic for those who missed the "chicken thread!" And yes....  it is eating spaghetti!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Ray @ Tampa,Mar. 28 2008,05:17)

Angela,

Thanks for a great post!!  I'm an Audubon member and love seeing great bird photos.

Thanks for posting,

Ray

Thanks Ray,

Do you have any nice birds pics you could share?

Hawai'i is great for bird watching but I really really miss humming birds...  I love humming birds!  

Can't wait to go to C.R.   I'm hoping to get a few bird shots (along with many palm shots)!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Gbarce @ Mar. 28 2008,03:52)

Wow you people in Hawaii already have great plants and now you have great birds too??

Grear pictures too by the way.  What camera and lens are you using for those shots?

Thanks for the compliment! :)

I use a Pentax istD S  and the lens is 50-200mm.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(Dave from So-Cal @ Mar. 28 2008,10:29)

Did you see any of the native honeycreepers, the oo and iiwi?

GREAT PICS of the other birds, especially that hawk.  Yike, not an easy picture to take.

dave

Wow you know your birds :)

The I'iwi live at a higher elevation than we do so I haven't seen any.

I may have seen a Hawaiian honey creeper but there are many alien bird that look similar to it from a distance.

Did you mean O'u'?  I think that one lives way up in the mountains.

This is a nice site:

http://www.soundshawaiian.com/birds-hawaii.html

I'm still trying to get a decent pic of the hawk!

All the birds in our "hood" are very skittish.  I had to be still a LONG time for them to come back to the feeder.

This is a House Finch (aka Linnet, Papayabird) introduced from California before 1870. IMGP0529.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

So that that that is !

A House Finch.

Hmm.  Finch in da house . . . . yo yo yo yo yo etc. . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here are some House Finches (male and female) with a couple of Saffron Finches with Java Sparrows in the backround....

IMGP0620.jpg

Two juvenile Javas with one adult...

IMGP0575.jpg

More birdies...

IMGP0634.jpg

IMGP0645.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Look out here comes a Northern Cardinal....

IMGP0586.jpg

IMGP0588.jpg

They were introduced from eastern U.S. in 1929.

Unfortunately this is the best picture I have because they are smart and timid.

The native Hawaiian birds are pretty elusive ... I hear a half dozen Apapane in our garden but can never get a picture of them because they perch on the very tip top of Ohi'a trees.

I need a crane!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great shots, Angela! Always enjoyed birds (and we had a few when we lived in FL and CA). Probably goes back to my childhood - my dad was into birds from WAY back, so when I grew up he had a whole bunch of finches in the same room where I slept! In a cage obviously! :D

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Angela,

Thanks for the bird pictures.  I enjoy birds a lot.  We have an amazing variety of birds around here.  I believe one of the largest group of native birds in the world.  Unfortunately I do not have many pictures.  The cardinal looks a lot like the one that is in southern Brazil.  I have not seen one around here.  The area north of here where I work at has a lot of macaws flying around.  Mostly they are blue and gold, but there are some others.  It is a beautiful sight to see them cruising overhead as the sun is starting to set.  There are around 700 types of birds in Amazonas.  This site has some pictures of a few and as you scroll down you can click on the number and here the sound of the specific bird in the picture.  It is all in Portuguese but it is pretty self explanatory. Amazonia birds and sounds

Here is one of the few bird pictures I have of a pair of blue and gold macaws over a Mauritia flexuosa.  They are beautiful birds in flight.  They are always making a racket as well and frequently play with each other while in flight.  One day I hope to see our largest raptor the harpy eagle.  And, if possible see one snatching a monkey from a tree for lunch.

BlueandGoldArarsinflightcloseup.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(amazondk @ Mar. 29 2008,01:26)

Angela,

Thanks for the bird pictures.  I enjoy birds a lot.  We have an amazing variety of birds around here.  I believe one of the largest group of native birds in the world.  Unfortunately I do not have many pictures.  The cardinal looks a lot like the one that is in southern Brazil.  I have not seen one around here.  The area north of here where I work at has a lot of macaws flying around.  Mostly they are blue and gold, but there are some others.  It is a beautiful sight to see them cruising overhead as the sun is starting to set.  There are around 700 types of birds in Amazonas.  This site has some pictures of a few and as you scroll down you can click on the number and here the sound of the specific bird in the picture.  It is all in Portuguese but it is pretty self explanatory. Amazonia birds and sounds

Here is one of the few bird pictures I have of a pair of blue and gold macaws over a Mauritia flexuosa.  They are beautiful birds in flight.  They are always making a racket as well and frequently play with each other while in flight.  One day I hope to see our largest raptor the harpy eagle.  And, if possible see one snatching a monkey from a tree for lunch.

BlueandGoldArarsinflightcloseup.jpg

Thanks Don for sharing! Cool site.  Cool pic too :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

These are Red-billed Leiothrix...  they were upset and yelling at me with their little birdie yells...

IMGP1034.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

These lil' birdies were introduced to Hawai'i from China in 1918...

IMGP1036.jpg

IMGP1037.jpg

IMGP1025.jpg

A photo of these were hard to get...

IMGP1012.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great shots!  I love birds and hate cats (they are the greatest danger to the bird population).  

Those pheasants look nice and plump - under glass perhaps??  With some wild rice on the side??

I have bird baths in my yard but no feeders.  The feeders draw rats and I hate  hate hate rats!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I have never tried taking pictures of our native birds here but after seeing Angela's pictures I think I will give it a try.

For now all I got are our actual backyard birds and sad to say they ARE chickens!! :P

THis is a bantam Pekin or Cochin- not really sure of the exact variety

post-1017-1206970644_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

A more timid rooster - a bantam Phoenix.  The tails are suppose to get extremely long but to acheive this you need to keep them enclosed so that they dont entangle or damage teh tail feathers.

I just don't have the heart to lock him up.

Al teh chickens are free range.

In retrospect I wish I only got one variety becaue these guys have cross bred with one another and after a while they all look like mutts :P

post-1017-1206970849_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

We also have a troop of guinea fowl.  These guys can trample a lot of seedlings if they get into the shade house.

Angela I cant get over the clarity of you pictures - way cool!!

post-1017-1206971022_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

THANKS GENE for contributing!!

I did NOT intend this thread to be just a showcase for only our resident birds!!

I wanted everyone to share! :)

Taking pictures of birds is challenging because they move around so much!  It's really hard to get them in focus sometimes!

Cool rooster... it reminds me of the kind you see in asian art with the flowing tails.

Those Guinea fowl are neat...  did you buy those or did they just show up like our kalij?

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Oh BTW, the only native hawaiian birds in this thread are the Apapane and the Io (the hawk). Up here on Hualalai we're in the forest so all the birds are extremely shy.

Here is an attempt to get a shot of a common Myna... they're originally from India and were established in 1865.

IMGP0982.jpg

The ones that live in town (Kona) are less timid than the ones in our area.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela- all of these were store bought birds.  We are in the middle of the Metropolis so we don't get much wild life.  Part of the reason I am so impressed by the wild life some people on the forum get in their back yards-- in particular you hawaiian folk, some of the Aussies (cockatoos and Cassowarys) AmazonDK (Various small birds and Macaws) and Jeff in Costa Rica (Sloths and Monkeys).

Our house though is sort of the one with the most trees and we have a sizable man made pond so we sometimes get some uncommon birds for the city.  I've seen a king fisher, a rail and a heron hang out here but have not attempted to take pictures.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

This is all I have at the moment, a cardinal nesting in my poncan.

Alan

DSC03169.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

sorta blurry thru the wire but these are the residents of the palais pullet , my wifes chicken herd!

post-18-1207452312_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

(palmotrafficante @ Apr. 05 2008,19:25)

sorta blurry thru the wire but these are the residents of the palais pullet , my wifes chicken herd!

Are they yummy?? :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia