IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

1 year CICP growth

NBTX11

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

I have one the size of your first photo in a pot. It's going in the ground on the slope behind my pool. That kind of one-year growth is exactly what I'd like to see.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Washy Filifera growth:

Then (after Jan 07 ice storm):

000_0012.jpg

Little later:

100_0112.jpg

Now (this thing is becoming a BEAST, developing a thick trunk):

100_0935.jpg

ooooh, very nice Jim.... that survived the Ice Storm no problem... Pretty hardy, I'd say.... How cold was it during that ice storm?

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 25 2008,18:58)

ooooh, very nice Jim.... that survived the Ice Storm no problem... Pretty hardy, I'd say.... How cold was it during that ice storm?

Bobby, it never really got below freezing (31-32F/0C), if it had been a degree warmer it would have been all rain.  We haven't been below 23F in 7 winters.  Don't let the ice fool you, it is VERY rare (once a decade).

Jim, Very nice growth for one year. They're looking good.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Killer growth Jim.

The icicles on the car are classic. Those babies took some punishment.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(freakypalmguy @ Mar. 25 2008,20:10)

Killer growth Jim.

The icicles on the car are classic. Those babies took some punishment.

Matt

Matt, believe it or not, they never even blinked an eye.  No toasted fronds, no spotting on CIDP...nothing.  Course it didn't drop below freezing during that ice storm, was right at 32F.  Sure looks cold though.

Dear Jim  :)

thanks for the lovely updates ! and iam visiting your thread often to keep track of that CIDP's grouth...its doing terrefic under your care and last time you mentioned in your post of some mystery creature damaging your palm fronds...has that been taken care off ? since that is preety evident by the grouth..

And your washy is it a robusta, since they are cold hardy and fast growers !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Mar. 26 2008,01:03)

Dear Jim  :)

thanks for the lovely updates ! and iam visiting your thread often to keep track of that CIDP's grouth...its doing terrefic under your care and last time you mentioned in your post of some mystery creature damaging your palm fronds...has that been taken care off ? since that is preety evident by the grouth..

And your washy is it a robusta, since they are cold hardy and fast growers !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

Kris,

Whatever the problem with the CIDP was, it grew out of it fast.  I never did find out what the problem was, whether it was bugs or fungus or whatever.  But it is fine now and growing fast.

That Washy is a Filifera.  I also have 2 Washy Robustas (hybrids) in my back yard and they are growing fast too.