IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Butia Shots - Put em' here

_Keith

Since this palm was ID'd as Butia capitata in another thread, and since it was swooned over so much, I guess I would be remiss not to give it a place in the Butia pics thread.

post-1207-1206824427_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Best looking butia in my area for sure.. Looks like a coconut leaf to me... Id like to get some seed from this beast.. Its the healthiest I think ive ever seen

CIMG2140.jpg

CIMG2142.jpg

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Zone 9a, 2 blocks from the Bay, 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

No where near frost free.. But hopefully someday when I move further south..

07/08 Extreme Low 24.9F

(feef706 @ Mar. 29 2008,16:52)

Best looking butia in my area for sure.. Looks like a coconut leaf to me... Id like to get some seed from this beast.. Its the healthiest I think ive ever seen

CIMG2140.jpg

And a fine looking one it is.  Sure wish it was in MY front yard.  Maybe one of my 5 will look like that some day.  Now that I think of it, I do need another one don't I.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow Keith,

You sure have beautiful Butias growing down there. I suppose they might be a different strain from the ones growing in N. Florida and S. Georgia, but your climate might be just suited for them. You get cold snaps in the winter but also many warm toastey days and they grow year round. Could be your soil too. Whatever, they look beautiful. And yes, I'm still swooning over the droopy one. What a beauty.

In the inland areas in N. Calif where we have hot summers, Butias grow relatively fast, but they are fairly rare and not many are seen. I think it's because nurserys don't carry them and not many people know what they are. Butias even grow in San Francisco, but very slowly, and its really chilly over there.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

• 5 years later...

Any one want to add on some Butia shots to this long dormant thread?

And I might note, I miss Dick's contributions to PalmTalk.

• Upvote 1

Here's a couple from the weekend...

post-42-0-24002600-1377508744_thumb.jpg post-42-0-39707200-1377508735_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Took this pic and seeds, they were awesome!

20130821_082559.jpg

Escondido: the Ideal place to grow palms

Could it be? I'll try.

Keep em coming. I just loves me some Butia.

First two pics> My bluest B.eriospatha + spatha; This was bought in the state of Santa Catarina.

Third pic- B.eriospatha from here

Fourth pic-Butia catarinensis growing in shade

post-465-0-27938700-1377916963_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-71045900-1377917069_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-83757800-1377917609_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88434900-1377917772_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I am thinking of planting a butia eriospatha in a place that sees a few hours overhead sun and mostly bright shade,as its situated between two buildings.

Can someone tell me how fast they grow and from what age,size ,I can expect to taste their tasty fruits?

Also ,how about the fruits of butyagrus,are they even remotely edible?

Thanks in advance.

My B.eriospatha began to flower 5 years after planted.

Butyagrus rarely bare any fruit, so I don´t know the taste.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thank you Alberto.

I am between a butia eriospatha,or butia eriospatha-catarina syagrus mule.

I prefer the growth of the mule,but I sure would like to have the tasty fruits of butia.

I have a dilema and indecision,but I will decide soon which to plant.

• 1 month later...

The one on the right is incredible. Thx for posting.

For some reason I have problems growing these. I've lost three so far. This one is just getting to the size where the others started to have problems. Fingers crossed that this one makes it!

post-1448-0-75554600-1383033770_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Here's a nice one. post-97-0-02517500-1383162606_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-90808700-1383162631_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I made a short run to Jungle Gardens at Avery Island. It was a bitter sweet visit, as I feel like this garden is just slipping away. The plantings are getting old and have what appears to be minimal care, and no renewal in the garden. But on the upside, was this Butia. It sits at the bottom of 15 foot ravine, and its color was jaw dropping. The silver was perfectly offset the the bright green sago's underneath.

post-1207-0-59628000-1383178398_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

Here's a picture of a tall butia (20 + ft of trunk) in an older neighborhood here in Jacksonville , Florida. I'm sure we have some of the better looking butias of all the places I've seen them. Butia is a staple in this area and represents one of the most successful introduced palms here in North Florida.

post-7094-0-77312700-1393075227_thumb.jp

Here's a night shot of one I incorporated into a landscape I did for a friend. Illuminated by the brights on my truck :) not the best shot but here it is :)

post-9514-0-99835900-1393174383_thumb.jp

Looks like a beauty. A spotlight on it at night would be cool.

My one and only odorata.

post-3415-0-16063200-1393176944_thumb.jp

I love growing butias (as you can tell from the pics). I have them from seedlings to 8ft overall . Butia capitatas are my favorite. We have some very nice specimens locally but I do not have any pics of them.

post-9550-0-77515000-1393250114_thumb.jp

post-9550-0-98513600-1393250115_thumb.jp

post-9550-0-44597400-1393250132_thumb.jp

post-9550-0-21369900-1393250133_thumb.jp

Good lord those are some big butias! :lol2:

I thought we had some big ones around here, but wow! I'll add to this thread. I pass by a cluster of 7 in a row on my way to work every day that are pretty decent size, close to, if not 20 feet.

Will, what is the palm on the far left of the Butia picture. Looks rather coconutty. though a bit frazzled.