IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best Butia Shots - Put em' here

_Keith

How about nothing but Butia shots in this thread. Show us what you got or what you have seen. T

This is actually 2 Butia, with the primary nearing 20 feet.

post-1207-1206402660_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dear Keith  :)

thanks for the lovely topic,since iam of the opnion that butia's do not put out huge trunks,so i am not a fan of it.but some memebers have pointed out i have not seem much of these babies...so i hope i will be proved wrong about the trunk opnion ? through this visual treat of the butia palms...

Dear Luke  :)

thanks for those lovely stills...

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

And by the way kindly post their names too,for guys like me to learn as to what Sp.is in discussion_Please. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is an old one growing next to the Arid Garden here at Leu Gardens;

b648.jpg

and one in the Palm Garden, this is the form that used to be known as Butia capitata var. nehrlingiana as it bears rounded fruit that are bright red;

3844.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Heres a couple from around town.

A multi-headed specimen

98a5.jpg

a 2-headed specimen

6e0a.jpg

a "lazy" specimen

5c51.jpg

and a big one decorated for Christmas

3405.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(krisachar @ Mar. 25 2008,00:51)

thanks for the lovely topic,since iam of the opnion that butia's do not put out huge trunks,so i am not a fan of it.but some memebers have pointed out i have not seem much of these babies...so i hope i will be proved wrong about the trunk opnion ? through this visual treat of the butia palms...

Dear Luke  :)

thanks for those lovely stills...

thanks & love,

And by the way kindly post their names too,for guys like me to learn as to what Sp.is in discussion_Please. :)

Chris,

Check out the trunk on this Butia, on the right.

post-1207-1206449865_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here is a couple

l_b1c9ecc154ebf52185fb656faa3b31f8.jpg

l_7d89a878782f2faf1ace3db2b62bd537.jpg

Lots of fur on this baby

l_c34564583557253fd0a16394eba16c9e.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Butia is not planted nearly enough around here. I can only think of one in my neighborhood and it really is not cared for and looks ratty.  As my zone 10 and 11 palms die off over the years, I am sure I will plant a few Butia in my yard. Cool pics everyone, keep them coming!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(syersj @ Mar. 25 2008,20:28)

Ed, that looks like a hybrid Butia to me.

yeah,it looks like that to me too ! it has more of jubea trait in it..?

And i like it !  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi,

Nice treath.. i would too check my photo history for Butia shots from france... if i got them i'm going to post them here.

Right now here is a shot from last year of my own Butia capitata.

Afbeelding006-3.jpg

002November2007.jpg

Southwest

Nice to see!

I love Butias also and have tried some here in Zone 11 climate with varying results.

In partial shade I have one that is a few years from seed now and growing slowly at about two feet.

This summer one the same age died after totally browning in a location with full sun and good drainage while some B.yatay are doing well in pots with regular watering.

So who has some pics of well grown Butia in the tropics and how much sun and water do they receive?

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Not because it was taken by me but i think this is the best Butia

picture.-

I have taken this pic with my old optical Cannon A1 with a huge zoom in the N.E.

Argentina, near to some jesuits ruins.-

yatay02.jpg

And another from the same place and picture and seed trip,

i think it was in 2001 year.-

And not sure yet if this is B. paraguayensis or B. yatay

Best regards.

Gastonyatay03.jpg

Here is a nice one on isola madre,lago maggiore.

That is an island with a beautiful botanical garden on the lake of lugano at the border of switzerland to italy.

DSC00227-1.jpg

Marcel

• Upvote 1

Hi Keith

here are some Butia palms:

B. capitata, probably the oldest and tallest in southern Switzerland

p5030049aa0.jpg

B. capitata, planted in a cemetery in Porto, Portugal

bucacimdh9.jpg

Another B. capitata in southern Switzerland

butiacapticqx1.jpg

This is a Butia x (Phoenix dactylifera x Dypsis sp.) :;):

From far it looked like a Phoenix, but the seeds identified it as Butia sp.; I was told that the leaves look also a little bit 'dypsish'...

butiastrictiq1.jpg

Ciao,

Christian

Two more pictures...

'Silver' Butia sp. (private garden, southern Switzerland)

silverbutiaps2.jpg

B. capitata with big and very tasty fruits (southern France)

butiacapeb2.jpg

I've got to get in on this thread............need to get some new pictures. B. capita is practically native around these parts (and there are some real beauties).

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I think finding a Butia in Hawaii is almost like trying to find a needle in a haystack.  Not sure as to just why this is the case.  I've always liked the Butia look, so when I found a very tiny seedling of Butia archeri I purchased it and after it grew in its container a bit I then planted it in the ground.  It is still small but looking quite well considering the fact that it is not considered a fast grower.  Here is a pic I took several months ago.

post-90-1206591769_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

you have started lots of intreasting topic but this one shurely blew me of the ground.....!  :)

and all those who have contributed to this tread,my heart felt thanks to you.since one cannot travel to all these locations to see these buties.this is what i call immedieate satisfication & contenment.. :D

love,

But after seenig the hybrids of jubea x butia or butia X jubea...their trunk size is what iam attracted to.i know that palm conassires will not appriciate my taste for the jamboo's...but everybody have some weakness towards something...!  :laugh:

• Like 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I asked about this palm back when I first joined this board . I am pretty certain its a Butia .

It is growing just a few k's south of Tully.

Not bad for the wet tropics .. the owners have still not given it a trim , and now they have been bypassed by the new flood proofed highway .

There is a nice Bismarckia in the same front yard .

post-354-1206602694_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Al,

Thanks for posting a picture of your B. archeri. I had mentioned yours in another thread, and was wondering if anyone had one near or at blooming size. Yours is the largest I've seen in cultivation. Do you have a rough estimate how old it might be?

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Al,

Thanks for posting a picture of your B. archeri. I had mentioned yours in another thread, and was wondering if anyone had one near or at blooming size. Yours is the largest I've seen in cultivation. Do you have a rough estimate how old it might be?

Ed, I'm green with envy over your B. eriospatha. That's a very nice shot showing the tomentose spathes. I thought I had a B. eriospatha but it turned out to be something else.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I had no idea these palms could be so varied and so beautiful, hope mine looks like some of the ones posted here someday.  Dont see very many around here, only in private yards, and typically not in front of the house, but hidden in the back yard.  Here is one of my butia capitata in the arizona desert, already throwing spears this spring.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Here is Gary Wood's Butealiscious capitata . . . .

Almost fractured my skull from swooning onto a rock . . . .

It's got about 7 feet (3.5 m) of clear trunk.

Scream obscenities

post-208-1206674859_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Mar. 27 2008,21:27)

Here is Gary Wood's Butealiscious capitata . . . .

Almost fractured my skull from swooning onto a rock . . . .

It's got about 7 feet (3.5 m) of clear trunk.

Scream obscenities

Yep, that one is beautiful.  

One day I will take a proper picture of the one I started this thread with. That picture does not do it justice at all.  I cannot describe how gorgeous that palm really is, and big.  It is totally responsible for me getting interested in palms.

Keith, I'm quivering like jelly at the thought . . . . .

blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-blub-

blub-blub-blub-blub-etc

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dear Dave  :)

your still in post no.36 is fentastic ! Good heavens....i do not get easily carried away by all plant species,that would include the butia's...but your still of that buety got my lower jaw open involentrely(Automatically) ! in the still itself its so charming how beautiful it would appear to the eye in 3 dimensions_W0W !

thanks & love,

By the way are all B.capitata generacially silver form or does it have lots of vatiations like green,blue & silver ?  ???

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice to see all these pics as I love the look of a Butia.

Good to see that one from Michael in north Queensland.

But I would like to know of others grown in the tropics.

Are there any in Hawaii ?

How about others in Zone 10 + 11 ?

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).