IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Geonoma undata

MattyB

It's been a while since we've discussed this palm.  I just wanted to bring it up again.  It's one of my favorites and it's just about ready to plant out this year.

Geonomaundata11-05.jpg

Here it is on 11-05 in a 2 gallon pot.

Geonomaundata-004.jpg

And here it is today.  I put it in a 15 gallon pot a couple of months ago.

Geonomaundata-008.jpg

From past discussion I believe this is the lowland form of G. undata.  It's quite heat tolerant (it actually grows faster in the heat) but dosen't throw a red leaf.  It does have a nice read petiole and rachis.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Geonomaundata-005.jpg

Typical leaf detail.

Geonomaundata-006.jpg

All the leaves just started doing this tipping thing a couple of weeks ago.  I don't know if it's from moving things around in the greenhouse and exposing it to brighter light or if it's from the change in humidity levels since I'm starting to open up the greenhouse as it gets warmer...I don't know but I was worried it was rotting in the roots.  But it's still growing so I'm not panicking yet.  My greenhouse is extremely bright and as the suns angle gets more intense this spring it's getting even brighter in this spot.

Geonomaundata-002.jpg

It's got some red under all the fibers.  Hopefully someday this will grow to reveal a nice red patch at the bottom of the leaf bases.

Dan in SF just got Jungle Music to ship him one from the latest batch that's ready now.  I was wondering how these babies are doing for you guys?  I got some seed but didn't have any luck germinating them.  I was wondering if they're the red emergent leaf, high elevation form, or like the one I'm growing.  How's your G. undata? :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt thanks for starting this thread and your plants look GREAT!  I just received the liners from Phil yesterday.  They do not have the red emergent leaf as I can see so far.  Hopefully they the next leafs will be red or at least I hope these G Undata will thrive in my cool micro-climate.  I will post pics tonight.  

Matt where have you read about the Geonoma Undatas?

Thanks

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

The only info I've gotten was from this board.  Check the archive.  Also, I think Darold in SF has a knowledge of these guys too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt Thanks.  I spoke Darold about these palms and he stated there is quite a bit of variation of this palm.   Some like cool temp and others enjoy the heat.  He has three and one of them is really taking off and has about 1ft of trunk.

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Matty yours is as big as Rusty's which has been in the ground for about 5yrs? It has a reddish new leaf and he says it grows better for him in the winter. But it is slow one to two leafs a year I recall him saying. Very nice palm even when small.

San Marcos CA

Hi Matty

The one that i bought from Phil (jungle music) died in Quarantine, killed by the Methyl bromide gas. After bringing back to Australia and being prepared to wait 2 years to get it back from Quarantine it was disappointing to loose it, If anyone can sell me some seed it would be greatly appreciated, pm me if you can help

thanks

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

• 8 months later...

Michael,

Those are some really nice pictures. I would love to grow this palm but it comes from high altitudes I think. Can you tell me at what altitude their found in habitat? Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is a great palm. Thanks for the pictures Michael.

Too bad my dry heat and clear cold nights would send it to palm heaven.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Jeff, according to PACSOA, in Columbia they start occurring at 1900m (6,233 ft) but are most vigorous at 2100m (6,889 ft) where it's cool and moist all the time. Another stunning palm I can't grow here. I need to move up into the mountains. :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

My plants of Geonoma undata are the high elevation form propagated by Dick Endt. I purchased three plants from Landsendt in January of 2001. G. undata has a wide range of geographic location and altitude. My palms came from a wild population in southern Ecuador, south of the city of Loja at an approximate elevation of 2600 m (8500 ft). In 1996 I collected seed from supposed G. undata at 1560 m (4800 ft) along the highway from Quito toward Tinalandia on the western Andean slope. This lower elevation form failed to grow in my garden, but I believe this might be the form Matty B is growing in San Diego.

I planted the first of my three palms on June 28th, 2001. It now has 61 cm (24") of clean trunk with diameter of 15 cm (4.8"). I have also grown G. weberbaueri, but with poor results and have no surviving plants.

My high elevation form of G. undata is a true cloud forest plant. It wants very bright light, but not all-day harsh sun: high humidity, constant moisture, and cool temperatures with little day/night variation. If the potting medium of a potted plant dries out, it is always fatal. The plants grow leaves quickly all 12 months of the year and actually slow down during warmer weather.

The two pictures show my largest of the three plants, the leaf coloration in the photo is muted, and the color in life is often darker and more dramatic. The leafbase photo was taken just after two leaf abcissions in a short time. The color will darken all the way down in time.

In a related thread, there is a discussion of palms at the extremities of their range. I am growing a palm from 4' south latitude and 2600 m. Here in San Francisco, my garden is 38' north latitude and 85 m elevation! :mrlooney:

post-31-1228869676_thumb.jpg post-31-1228869746_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Darold, I have seen lots of pictures of your garden but I have never seen you post a photo of this beauty. You were holding out!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Ditto what Len said!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matty,

Sweet palm! You have quite the collection there...Can't wait to see your yard in person...hint hint hint

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Len's right Darold you have been holding out. Is yours the biggest in Cali? I have only seen ones that are about 5 gal size. Got a pic of the whole palm?

San Marcos CA

In post # 8, the palms featured are at the Landsendt nursery. Dick Endt's first seed collection was in 1990, so these were most likely planted in 1991. You can read Dick's account of the collection in an article for Chamaerops, the journal of the European Palm Society at www.palmsociety.org. (Sorry, I'm not adept enough with the computer to provide a working hyperlink.) Yes, Shon I have been 'holding out', but only because it is so difficult for me to use the computer. The article "So you want to add a Photo?" by John in Andalucia was most helpful in getting me started with photos. Here is one more eye-candy shot, a juvenile Hedyscepe that I raised from seed!

post-31-1229054877_thumb.jpg

I will try to post a photo of the entire plant. However, I don't have access to my camera for about 10 days, and also, my garden is so small and congested that it is difficult to get a clear shot of any one palm! :mrlooney:

• 3 months later...

Oliver,

That looks different to me. Could this possibly be G. interupta?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Does anyone know where G.undata can be purchased? This sounds like a perfect palm for the Stribing at Golden Gate park and the Oakland Palmatum.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Does anyone know where G.undata can be purchased? This sounds like a perfect palm for the Stribing at Golden Gate park and the Oakland Palmatum.

Dick

Dick -

RPS have Geonoma undata and Dictyocaryum lamarckianum seeds in stock. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw these two species for sale. I've been after them for a while.

Jungle Music had seedlings last time I heard.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thanks John,

I had to look up dityocaryum lamarckianum to see what it was, as I had never heard of it before. It sure is a beautiful palm but all of those cool cloud forest palms are hard to grow. Hopefully someone in the SF Bay Area will get some seeds of those rare palms and we might see them growing in the Bay Area in the future. I expect they would grow in a moist, shady area in San Francisco, probably New Zealand too.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Oliver,

That looks different to me. Could this possibly be G. interupta?

i think no

the two species are naturally in guadeloupe

here are pictures of g interrupta in guadeloupe

geoimg_6317.jpg

geoimg_6324.jpg

geoimg_6333.jpg

geoimg_6335.jpg

• Upvote 1

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

Real nice Matt! These seem light sensative?

Hope the brown on the leaves isn't serious. :)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

It was. It's dead since last year. :angry: Tough grow.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ooooh! I'm sorry.... Well that means you have to get another one! Does that one require a higher humidity level?

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Probably. It always suffered during my late Spring / early Summer opening of the greenhouse. This is when the humidity gets lower in my greenhouse. Then it was looking really bad last year so I decided that I'd get it in the ground to see if it could pull out of it. It couldn't.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt, sounds like the highland form is the only one that will make it. I guess it is important to ask Phil if he knows where his seed came from.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Why would the highland form better though? You'd think the lowland form would be tougher. Matt in SD has one from the same batch as I did and it's continued to look crappy. It might be dead now too considering how bad it looked last time I saw it. And Matt is one of the best growers around, with impeccable looking palms all over that Linda Vista yard.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I would guess they could handle the cold better to put them in better shape to handle the summer heat. A weak winter palm, goes into summer weak. Same in reverse. Example a sun burned summer palm, goes into winter weak. My guess would be finding the coolest area of your yard and putting it there. I have a few places in my yard that are 5 degrees cooler in summer the the rest and if it gets real hot, I turn on sprinklers and drop it even more in these spots.

Of course there is no science to these comments. Just a hypothesis based off a hyperbole.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Great points Len. I wanna try the high form (emergent red leaf) anyways.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

Do you think it was the lack of humidity or the heat that killed your Undata? I have three indoors that I would like to put outside. I have plenty of humidity but no heat.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Might as well add the tale of my G undata. I got it from Phil as a seedling a long time ago. It grew very fast in my greenhouse, the only scare being that mites really like them. So it had a few bouts with mites but once I figured that out it really grew well and looked great. I Planted it in a shady part of the yard, just North of a fence that had a thick hedge of oleander on the other side. It did great in the ground for about a year. I then cut the oleander hedge down, which increased the light level a bit, but I think also increased the temps probably a lot because the sun then directly hit the fence. It stopped growing almost immediately, and I thought it would die, but it then started growing again and looked OK for a short period (but never as good as it did in my greenhouse, or shortly after planting). It has since declined very slowly over several years. It always grew and put out leaves, but did not gain size, and it held fewer and fewer good leaves. Hard to say if it's dead at this point, but it's definitely beyond repair.

I think the increased heat and light from cutting the oleander hedge is a reasonable theory for why it declined. However I am a bit suspicious because I also had a Geonoma schottiana that I grew from a 1g to a nice, trunking and beautiful specimen that declined at about the same time as the G undata. So I do wonder if there was some sort of disease that hit them both (they were pretty far a apart...but still they were two healthy, happy palms that are related and went into decline at about the same time).

I'm not sure that I'll bother trying G undata again, although my new place is definitely a bit cooler than my old one. I do have a Geonoma gamiova that I'm pretty excited about, should be ready to plant in about a year.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24