IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Bali House

Jeff in St Pete

I tried to goggle Indonesian ironwood for you so I can see what the 'actual' Indonesian names are, but I got nowhere. It all depends on where the woods come from. But from what I can gather, usually the timber is very hard and dark in colour - tough!! Apparently it is even too heavy to build boat from.

In the old days, they would make the whole house out of Teak (tectona grandis), as it is semi hardwood, easy to work with and VERY termite resistant - due to its oil content. But, I guess with the rarity of it - it gets too hard to find bigger piece and expensive as well. A friend is building an extension on his house here with combination of steel (for all the structural column) and teak. I think he is bringing a container of teak decking and other teak material from Bali/Java. Apparently he even get spiral staircase made over there and ship it in.. it is cheaper than getting them build locally.. go figure!!

My dad's house in Indonesia only has a/c in the bedrooms too. He has high ceiling and A LOT of ventilation, so it is nowhere as hot as our house, even in their dry season. The Indonesian really knows how to build their house for their climate.... unlike Darwinians, which still think they live down south with their southern style homes.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

The wood could possibly be balau, Shorea spp.  From what I can see it is a pretty good match.  But, this is only a guess.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff,Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics! I've been to Quepos & Manuel Antonio 3 times & recognize your beach shots. Hope to return in October!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Simply marvelous Jeff thanks for showing!

@ Ari & Don

Indonesian ironwood would be called "merbau" in the trade, kayu besi in the Moluccas or "mirabow" generally in Indonesia.

A beautiful wood in which iron nails do not rust thanks to the high oil content.

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Charles,

I don't think it is merbau - since it is supposed to be dark timber. I have merbau decking and it is not dark - it is more red than anything. But then, I can't see the timber that closely, so anything is possible.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Charles,

While looking up the wood I came up with this link Triopical Building Systems . They have a part of the site that has projects they have built.  Several of them are in Hawaii.  I did not see Costa Rica so this more than likely was not done by them.  They use bankirai for the structure and merbau for flooring and other uses.  The bankirai does look a lot like the timbers in the Costa Rica structure.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Kalimantan timber... that makes sense. I wonder what will happen when they run out of Kalimantan timber like they run out of teak...  ???

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, thanks for the information and for googling the wood.  You're right, Indonesians do know how to build a house for their climate!  I wish I had more information on the wood, but I wasn't here when the house was being built.  Here is some additional information I copied and pasted from the Akira website:

"Villa Akira was designed by Balinese architect Ketut Arthana. Arthana is internationally recognized for his insightful work in designing luxury residences, tropical resorts, and spas throughout Asia, Hawaii, North America, and Europe, including the elegant Puri Woolandari hotel in Bali, one of the Small Leading Hotels of the World. His characteristic dramatic use of space and sense of location and purpose, as seen in Villa Akira, evoke the unmistakable feeling of being a part of nature, inside and outside the villa"

Randy, please contact me before you visit next time.  It would be nice to meet you and show you around the property if you are interested.  

Charles, thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

Don, as always, thanks for all your great information on wood!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

(ariscott @ Mar. 23 2008,07:01)

Kalimantan timber... that makes sense. I wonder what will happen when they run out of Kalimantan timber like they run out of teak...  ???

Ari,

Hopefully they can buy timber in Brazil.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

Great to see the rest of the house.  I love the openess.  Just what I would like around my little dream home, if I ever find it.  I'm sorry it was occupied when I was there.  

I understand what you said about not sending anything without the permit.  the three joey seeds that still had roots have come up so I can see if it's possible to grow them in Ohio.  

I've been dismantling the 1841 house the past month.  Had 9 volunteers working yesterday.  Starting to take up the floor boards tomorrow.  The frame movers come the end of the month and I have to raise $7,900 yet to pay them!  The first $4,100 was easy.  

Stan

Stanley A. Kaufman

Hi Stan, yeah it's too bad the house was occupied, but you were here during a busy time.  

Actually I found out this week that seeds are easy to send or receive, it's live plants that are a problem.  I found this out after ordering a very expensive shipment from Agristarts.  My plants are now in quarantine and will most likely be destroyed, I will find out on Monday.  The postmaster at the customs center told me "stick to seeds, they never stop seeds, only plants".  There is a way to get some kind of certification first which the customs guy was nice enough to provide to me.  So who knows, maybe someday I will be able to ship plants in and out of Costa Rica.

I'd love a house like that with the sloth included.  An amazing place Jeff, thanks for posting the photos.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I would love a house in this style some day too Ray.  

Sloths are always included!   :)

• 10 months later...

Truly amazing place! I have been visiting Costa Rica since I was 8, even lived there on a farm in the jungle when I was 15 for a month! I will never stop going there and definitely hope to live there some day soon!

Thanks Borgy. What area of Costa Rica are you planning to move to? Please look me up when you get here. We even have a palm society now!

I thought I would post some updated photos of the house and of the addition that was completed last Spring. I was looking back at this old post and realized I had replied to a question about our rates and those prices are incorrect now. I talked the owners into lowering the rates to be more competative with other homes in the area. Prices are now $7,000 per week during "season" and $5,000 per week off-season. Of course IPS members would always recieve a 20% discount!

Photos are in no particular order

Bedroom #2

bedroom2.jpg

Master bedroom

bed2-2.jpg

Master bedroom - dressing room

bed2-4.jpg

Notice I replaced the cheap plastic pots :) Not exactly what I wanted, but they will do for now.

DSC_00512.jpg

Bridge between main living pavilion and the master suite.

DSC_00522.jpg

Another shot of the master bedroom

bed2-1.jpg

Copper soaking tub in master bathroom.

bed2-10.jpg

Deck

P1070016.jpg

Close-up of dining table.

P1070027.jpg

Bathroom - bedroom #2

Bedroom2bath.jpg

New addition - bedroom #4 is upstairs and bedroom #5 is downstairs

DSC_0551.jpg

Another shot of the new addition

DSC_0546.jpg

View from deck of bedroom #4 looking over towards the pool

DSC_0569.jpg

New addition

DSC_0590.jpg

DSC_0594.jpg

P1120079.jpg

Bedroom #2

3.jpg

Another shot of the house, well part of it

P1260011.jpg

Infinity pool at sunset

P2190115.jpg

Thanks for the picture up date Jeff. It is a beautiful place and I am glad we got to visit.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I'm glad you and your family had a chance to visit me. It's hard to believe that it's already been three months since you were here.

BTW, the palms you brought me are growing like crazy!

Talked the wife into another trip to Costa Rica, although we are probably headed to the Arenal/Montverde area in April! I could use an Imperial.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Randy,

Experiencing Monteverde and the cloudforest reserve is one of the best things I have done since I moved to Costa Rica. I was disappointed that it was not included as part of the Biennial, but I guess there is only so much time available and there were too many other places to see that week.

Have a great time! And try the new Imperial Silver.

Jeff, the new pots look great! The house seems to me to evoke more a feeling of the tropics than just specifically Bali.

It would fit in any tropical area of Africa,Brasil etc.I am working on designs for my house at the new farm and I always go back to a Balinese inspired design.They seem to blend in with nature as opposed to Spanish Colonial that seems to dominate a natural setting.

What is the roofing material? Are your windows and sliding doors made locally?

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thanks Scott. There's still a few more plastic pots that need to be replaced, I keep looking for alternative pots that would work.

The original house (3 bedrooms/5 bathrooms) was container shipped here from Bali so all the matierials were brought over. They sent a crew of Balinese craftsmen who spent 8 months or so rebuilding the house here in Manuel Antonio. I've been told that all the wood used for the house, the decking and the roof shingles are all made of Indonesian ironwood. The windows and sliding doors (they are actually sliding glass walls) were all made in Bali and then reconstructed here.

As you can see in the photos, we built an addition to the house with two more bedrooms and 2 more bathrooms. This is a separate building that is connected via decking. The materials used for the addition came from Costa Rica and the entire structure was built by a Tico construction company out of San Jose. They couldn't replicate the exact design of the original buildings, but I think they came pretty close by building something that blends with the rest of the house. They did replicate the sliding doors and windows like in the original, but the builder has been back a few times fine tuning the sliding doors as they do not work as well as the ones built by the balinese guys.

Jeff, I had to look thru this thread again and it was almost like we were back there again enjoying the serenity of the Bali House with its open tropical Balinese feel in a beautiful tropical Costa Rican setting. Mentally, I was there for a moment and making me wish to return. Yes it was that enjoyable. If it wasn't that I was already living in beautiful tropical Hawaii, I think I'd be planning my next trip there very soon! While we have incorporated quite an open indoor/outdoor feel in our own home here it is not the same as that all-wood beautiful Balinese architecture. Enjoy that 'Pura Vida' life in Costa Rica!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thanks Al. Even though you are already living in a tropical paradise, I think your heart is in Central America. :)

Jeff,

I still get nervous when I think about falling off the swimming pool. I came back with some great ideas from the Bali House, but I will stay away from the pool design. Even though it is beautiful. BTW the palms you gave me are doing fine here as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I know what you mean. My fear is that an earthquake will hit someday when I am in the pool. I imagine the walls crumbling and me swept out and over the edge with the water!

Here is a photo of me in the pool. That would be a long drop!

Coltrip2007211.jpg

Jeff,

That is a scary thought.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 1 month later...

I recently found some old photos of the Bali House. These were taken shortly after the home was completed.

Aerial photo

AerialPhoto.jpg

Pool and Main Living Pavilion. That Mango tree is loaded with green fruit right now.

Pooldeck.jpg

Gazebo

DiningPavilion.jpg

Another gazebo shot from below

Gazebo.jpg

Front entry bridge

EntryBridge.jpg

Copper washbasins in the bathrooms

CopperBasin.jpg

Daybed in the main living pavilion

DayBed.jpg

Bathroom

GuestBathVillas.jpg

Jeff- Great pictures...the place looks very inviting...how did you pull off the shot of the master bedroom in post #57...you should post the sunset shot in post #62 in the sunset thread.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

The master bedroom photo in post #57 was taken by a friend of mine. He has a small tripod that he put on the floor for that shot. It didn't turn out that well because we had late afternoon sun coming in and it was reflecting off the white duvet cover. He said he wants to re-take the photo sometime when the lighting is better.

I have plenty more sunset photos, but I figured I already posted enough of them in that thread. :)