IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia eriospatha x B.microspadix:4 years later

Alberto

Fascinating post about those Butia hybrids! Thanks for sharing!

Jeremy Breland
itinerant public garden horticulturist
A native of the US Gulf Coast: USDA hardiness zone 8b-9b; AHS heat zone 8-9, Sunset climate zone 28; Trewartha climate classification: Cf-humid subtropical; Hot and humid summers with occasional droughts, warm and wet winters punctuated by cold snaps.

Currently in New Orleans, LA, zone 9b, heat zone 8

Alberto,

in may last year you have sent butia hybrid seeds to me in a swap with some juania seeds. Such us B.eriospatha x jubaea and B.eriospatha x B.microspadix beside them also some B.archeri.

Unfortunately I have mixed them up!

Now I don't know what are the ones that have germinated and are growing now.

Have a look at the picture. The three on the left side seem to be all the same(maybe B.archeri?) compared to their seeds. The twin on the right side could be an other one (maybe a hybrid?). Its seed is bigger and has a different shape.

Can you recognize them?

The third picture is my one year old juania australis.

Marcel

post-1085-12687460584406_thumb.jpg

post-1085-12687461559579_thumb.jpg

post-1085-12687463117296_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

in may last year you have sent butia hybrid seeds to me in a swap with some juania seeds. Such us B.eriospatha x jubaea and B.eriospatha x B.microspadix beside them also some B.archeri.

Unfortunately I have mixed them up!

Now I don't know what are the ones that have germinated and are growing now.

Have a look at the picture. The three on the left side seem to be all the same(maybe B.archeri?) compared to their seeds. The twin on the right side could be an other one (maybe a hybrid?). Its seed is bigger and has a different shape.

Can you recognize them?

The third picture is my one year old juania australis.

Marcel

Difficult to say from the pics.

B.archeri has very little seeds,difficult to germinate with a very narrow strap leave. B.erio x B.micr has rounder seeds not so big. BxJ has the biggest seeds (normal B.eriosp. size) and a very heavy shoot with thick and hard strap leaves.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Alberto was nice enough to bring us Californians some seed of this beautiful little palm. I hope mine germinate.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Matty! I really hope some of them will germinate for you! We had a good time visiting you and wife! Your place is really nice! ...And thanks for the hospitality!

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 6 months later...

Kids grew fast and the palms also some trunk! :)

post-465-0-69101600-1419213010_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-85764900-1419213145_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Alberto!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Don't remember this thread first time around.....did you ever hybridize with any Syagrus sp.?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Kids grew fast and the palms also some trunk! :)

Nice pic's :greenthumb: the palms look amazing

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 year later...

Wow bananengek, That´s a nice plant! How old is it?

On 01/06/2014 23:17:21, MattyB said:

Alberto was nice enough to bring us Californians some seed of this beautiful little palm. I hope mine germinate.

Hi Mat, Did you got some to germinate .... ?

1 hour ago, Alberto said:

Wow bananengek, That´s a nice plant! How old is it?

Bought this one from erwin. one of the first F1 batches told he me. I think you know when you sent the seeds exactly?

• 9 months later...

Looking great!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil