IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia eriospatha x B.microspadix:4 years later

Alberto

This was my first thread about this hybrid palm:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....ospadix

This was the second thread:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....ospadix

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I crossed my Butia eriospatha with the tiniest brazilian palm,the B.microspadix. It was succesfull and I swapped and gave seeds to a lot of palm enthousiasts. Exactly 3 years and 9 months ago I planted my first sprouted seed in a pot. Ten months later it showed the first windowed leave,what at the time i thought was fast.

post-465-1205671528_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Today I was astonished to see that one of my 5 plants will flower this year! Thats fast!After +- 3 years and 9 months it shows 6 spathas!Hybrid vigour!!!

As promissed I am keeping you informed and show you this photos.

This is the little palm with my 3 years and 4 months old son,Leonard:

post-465-1205671850_thumb.jpg

Five spathas with brown tomentum and they are a little bigger then that from B. microspadix. I was wondering how big this palms would grow,how big the spathas etc....

post-465-1205672102_thumb.jpg

More palms

post-465-1205672350_thumb.jpg

Another palm:

post-465-1205672450_thumb.jpg

Hi, Alberto:

Many Thanks!  You have provided an absolutely fascinating pictorial narrative!  In my limited experience, I don't remember an intrageneric Butia hybrid showing as much hybrid vigor as you've shown here.  Please keep us informed.

merrll

merrill, North Central Florida

very nice Alberto. Interesting to say the least!

Im growing capitata seedlings and they are slow. I still gont have pinnate leaves after 2 years.

your hybrids looks great!  keep up the good work.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Good pics and nice update as you follow this palm!

Hopefully, you will end up with some good viable seed!

Best of Luck!

Dear Alberto  :)

thanks for the visuals & updates ! and your kid & the palm are both terrefic !  :)

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Alberto,

Those are some nice specimens. I got 2 of the seeds you sent to germinate. Here is one;

img_0520.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Hi Eric,

Glad to see some seedling from the seeds that I sent. :)

This one ,with narrower leaflets, looks the same as one of my five palms.

In the begin the leaflets were much grayer ,like yours and turned more green now....

Alberto,

The hybrid you have created is truly a beauty and probably a first in the palm world. I love it's small size and the small tomentose covered spathes. For it to bloom in less than 4 years is incredable growth. It will be interesting to see what its prodgny will be, or do you plan to cross it with something else?

Thanks for the great pictures, and keep us appraised of it's progress.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 18 2008,06:58)

It will be interesting to see what its prodgny will be, or do you plan to cross it with something else?

....;) and if I cross it with a queen palm to create a dwarf Butyagrus...???? :)

Now your talkin Alberto!!!  I would love to see that!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Alberto,

Often times when a palm blooms for the first time no seed will set and it may take several bloomings before it will set seeds. You have enough spathes on that palm to try different pollens. I think it would be interesting to see if it will self pollinate, and produces viable seeds, but the Queen cross sounds interesting. Also maybe B. archeri would be a nice one to cross it with, as B. archeri is also a dwarf palm and it develops that nice silver color.

Good luck and please don't let any of those spathes go to waste.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Mar. 20 2008,15:59)

Alberto,

Often times when a palm blooms for the first time no seed will set and it may take several bloomings before it will set seeds. You have enough spathes on that palm to try different pollens. I think it would be interesting to see if it will self pollinate, and produces viable seeds, but the Queen cross sounds interesting. Also maybe B. archeri would be a nice one to cross it with, as B. archeri is also a dwarf palm and it develops that nice silver color.

Good luck and please don't let any of those spathes go to waste.

Dick

Yes Dick,I´m aware of the fact that the first spathes sometimes don´t form fruits. It happened to some of my Butias here....

If I can put my hands on that pollen sp I´ll try them all! :laugh: And ...yes , you made me curious if it will self pollinate?

Thanks!

Today I found an oddity on one of the spathes that was showing difficulties to open normally. I tried to help it open and saw that there were two spathes,one with light short tomentum inside the other with longer tomentum!!! Strange!

One inherited from B.microspadix and the other from B.eriospatha.... :P  :D  ???

post-465-1206217561_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

How strange you mention a double spathe. When my Butia X Jubaea first started blooming, it would have a spathe within a spathe, but after the first couple of years it quit doing that. Now all the spathes are "normal." This must be a condition caused by hybridization.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 6 months later...

Couldn't delete this pic. WRONG PHOTO!!!!

post-465-1224552745_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alberto

Alberto,

How strange you mention a double spathe. When my Butia X Jubaea first started blooming, it would have a spathe within a spathe, but after the first couple of years it quit doing that. Now all the spathes are "normal." This must be a condition caused by hybridization.

Dick

There formed a lot of inflorescences since the first one,and also seed setting.Look at this new inflorescence. I have pollen of Syarus coronata and S.oleracea. Which one would you try to pollenate it?

post-465-1224553891_thumb.jpg

Detail:

post-465-1224554063_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update Alberto, they look like they are doing very well. S. coronata would be my choice, but that is on looks alone, not any scientific reasoning they would cross easier.

Hi, Alberto:

VERY interesting hybrids! It would be very interesting to cross it with Allagoptera arenaria.

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

I can't wait to see the results!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

IMO, I would try Syagrus. O pollen because they have a faster rate of growth and will inject more green into the

triple cross.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Alberto, I would definately cross your hybrid palm with Syagrus Romanzoffianum, and you might get a dwarf mule. Have you crossed B. microspadix with Syagrus? I would be carefull to keep all the hybrids labeled as they all look alike when their seedlings.

To you Butia fans: Are B. microspadix and eriospatha the only two that has rust tomentum on the ourside of the spathes?

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 5 months later...
To you Butia fans: Are B. microspadix and eriospatha the only two that has rust tomentum on the ourside of the spathes?

Dick

The only butias that I know that shows this rust tomentum on the spathes are this two....

Here un update of the hybrids. They are growing fast and a second plant is flowering;

post-465-1237666602_thumb.jpg

Another 2 pplants;

post-465-1237666682_thumb.jpg

Closer....bunch fruits and the rust collor spathe:

post-465-1237666763_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

Thanks for the progress report and the great photos. Your B. E X M is truly a beautiful small hybrid. I love those rust colored spathes. They have grown and bloomed incredably fast. It's nice you can see your cute son and the hybrids grow up together.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dear Alberto :)

Nice progress ! And i must say you have lots of patience... :) Keep up the good work of creating newer forms of butia. :greenthumb:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very nice Alberto, I enjoy watching the progress of your hybrids. I'm not sure if I caught it, but did you cross this with the Syagrus or did it self pollinate?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 11 months later...

I´ve not tried to make Xbutiagrus with this hybrid butia yet.

Here some updated pics from today.

post-465-12684901002085_thumb.jpg

more

post-465-12684903901209_thumb.jpg

Beautifull spathas with thick red/brown tomentum and purplish/yellow flowers

post-465-12684905029879_thumb.jpg

Hello.

I show them mine. Butia eriosphata x B. paraguayensis.

We are in winter and full of sphates. Anxiously awaiting the hybridization day.

230210030.jpg

230210033.jpg

230210036.jpg

230210070.jpg

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Hello.

I show them mine. Butia eriosphata x B. paraguayensis.

We are in winter and full of sphates. Anxiously awaiting the hybridization day.

230210030.jpg

230210033.jpg

230210036.jpg

230210070.jpg

Mauser,beautifull little palm. It probably will grow bigger then mine hybrid. Interesting the intermediate amount of tomentum that your hybrid shows!

Mauser,beautifull little palm. It probably will grow bigger then mine hybrid. Interesting the intermediate amount of tomentum that your hybrid shows!

Hello Alberto.

The palm looks great in the photos but is small. I have two sisters and two make lots of spathes with a beautiful red tomentum.

I hope he can hybridize easily have not tried yet.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif