IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Society of Souhthern California

elHoagie

The September meeting of the Palm Society of Southern California is going to be on Saturday September 16 at the amazing garden of Ralph Velez in Westminster.  For those who don't know Ralph, he has over 400 species growing, and quite a few of the palms are ~40 years old.  We'll also be touring a local park where Ralph has been able to create a palm island for the public.  As always, there will be an auction at the meeting.  There's usually a lot of rare palms at these auctions, and usually some great deals.

More details are on the PSSC webpage

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Can't wait!  I'll see ya'll there!  Pohonkelapa, Palmgrover and I will do a drive by seeding!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Sep. 05 2006,16:36)

Can't wait!  I'll see ya'll there!  Pohonkelapa, Palmgrover and I will do a drive by seeding!

For those who don't know, MattyB has "THUG LIFE" tatted on his chest...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

No Jack, you misread, it's "Bug Life".  Sorry, not as hard as you once thought.  Although I used to play B-Ball in north west Pasadena off Fair Oaks and Washington.  Do I get some street cred for dat?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 05 2006,18:32)

No Jack, you misread, it's "Bug Life".  Sorry, not as hard as you once thought.  Although I used to play B-Ball in north west Pasadena off Fair Oaks and Washington.  Do I get some street cred for dat?

My mistake Matt, "BUG LIFE" is still pretty hard.... I guess???

So you used to play B-ball at Fair Oaks and Washington?  That's basically where I live (I'm at Fair Oaks and Woodbury).  Some of my wife's coworkers are too scared/ignorant/prejudiced/etc to come to our house...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Their loss.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 05 2006,13:36)

Is that a "seeding" or DE-seeding ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matty's got tatties?

Didn't notice . . . .

In any case, tatties or not, it's worth the trip to Raplh V's big G in the city of FV, on 9-16.

One look at his marvelous Rhopies, and you'll be researching the diet thang to make sure you live long enough to see yours get as big as his.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(elHoagie @ Sep. 05 2006,17:36)

(MattyB @ Sep. 05 2006,16:36)

For those who don't know, MattyB has "THUG LIFE" tatted on his chest...

So Jack...how do you know this????

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Oh man, we are not gonna get new people to come to the meetings if we keep this up.  Not only are we Palm Freaks, but we're just Plain Freaks too! :o

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'll be there...AND I'll need to see that tatoo...unless Jack would get jealous.

Anybody in SD need a ride? Right now it's just me and Gary L(If he can get off work) Have room for four...but will probably miss the auction, as my wife has me scheduled for coctails at 6:00  :cool:

We are moving our son into his dorm that morning at UC Irvine, so I will be late, but I will try to make it to the main event, Ralph Velez's place.  I hear it is phenomenal.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I hear it's one of the best in Souhthern California, right Jack? :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Sep. 12 2006,17:16)

The tattoo or the garden???

Well done Matt...  I think I'll go with SoCal from now on so I don't have to spell any difficult words.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

(elHoagie @ Sep. 12 2006,18:50)

Well done Matt...  I think I'll go with SoCal from now on so I don't have to spell any difficult words.

Hey.....is that a crack at me, Steve in SOCAL ?? :P

What does MattyB's tatoo really say?  Can Steve (or I) spell "Southern California"?  Will a guy in red Converse All-Stars break down in tears after he sees Ralph's amazing Rhopalostylis?  Come to the meeting tomorrow and find out.  There will also be plenty of palms to see, plenty of palms to buy, and plenty of great people to meet.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Just got home from helping Ralph put signs on the palms at Mile Square Park.  The park is looking really good.  If any one is on the edge about going to this meeting, this is a must see for any palm and tropical plant enthusiast.  So don't miss out.   See you there.

Jeff Rood

Jeff Rood

(elHoagie @ Sep. 15 2006,15:09)

What does MattyB's tatoo really say?  Can Steve (or I) spell "Southern California"?  Will a guy in red Converse All-Stars break down in tears after he sees Ralph's amazing Rhopalostylis?  Come to the meeting tomorrow and find out.  There will also be plenty of palms to see, plenty of palms to buy, and plenty of great people to meet.

I'll be there, but the car in my little avatar won't be....Maybe everyone should put their IPS handle on their nametags. I did it last meeting and I thinks its a good way to meet the others....... Not EVERYONE knows what MattyB looks like....wait I mean everyone does!!! :D   I guess for Dave I'll look for red shoes and a paper bag over the head....

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

And Danny will be in his Gorilla suit as usual.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"