IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nasty winter storm over San Diego

STEVE IN SO CAL

Pulled this of the NWS site. Lows of 32 for SD inland valleys, as well as snow... and ice pellets...it's going to snow at the beach.....

.....ALONG WITH VERY LOW SNOW LEVELS WITH

ICE/SNOW PELLETS ACCUMULATING IN VALLEYS FLOORS AND SNOW BEING

OBSERVED BUT NOT ACCUMULATING AT THE COAST

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Our John Coleman said yesterday it will be wet and messy here, but he thinks in at Sat afternoon, out by Sun afternoon, if not sooner.  

(I did say I wasn't gonna pot up or weed anything until MID- March...)  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Weather.com and weatherunderground differ wildly regarding forecast lows Sunday and Monday morning. Weather.com has me at 42F both days, while weatherunderground has me at 34F both days.

For reference, the record cold for those days is 42F and 40F. If that birdbath has ice in it again, I'm going to be pissed :angry:

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

We are looking at 82 here tomorrow, so whether that damned bird feeder is frozen or not, keep that stuff over there.  :)

I am done with this winter.  It is in the can.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(keiththibodeaux @ Mar. 14 2008,22:42)

We are looking at 82 here tomorrow, so whether that damned bird feeder is frozen or not, keep that stuff over there.  :)

I am done with this winter.  It is in the can.

Keith

Thanks for reminding us  :laugh: springtime across the US can get quite interesting  :P  but beware Keith, our storm will be your storm later in the week. This baby is a shot across the bow from Arctica [ & will become dangerous once it enters the Plains & Gulf Coast.

Can't help but get concerned when snow levels drop below 3000' /914.4m even for just 24 hrs [increases likelihood of hale & thunderstorms.  Appears storm's cold core will affect San Diego more than Los Angeles [due to rain shadow that the Transverse Range creates.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Well!

I stayed home today, like a mom, sorta, and figured, yeah, it'd be nice and warm . . . .

But Noooooooooooo

It was overcast and nasty.

Yike

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have to admit that until I read the details on weather in California on this board from you kind palmaholics, I truly thought that the weather there was similar to ours here in Brisbane, South East Queensland. Not so, not so by a very long shot. There but for the grace of geonoma go I.

I hope you get some warmth and long hours of it asap.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE...ORDER YOUR WINTER STORM ONE WEEK BEFORE SPRING AND YOU ALSO GET:

(from NWS web page this a/m) STRONG ONSHORE WINDS CONTINUE SO WIND CHILLS WILL BE AROUND

ZERO BY SAT NIGHT (this is for the mnt areas...but still...geez)

THE AIR MASS

COMING IN WITH THE LOW WILL BE UNSTABLE...PARTICULARLY OVER THE

COASTAL WATERS...SO THE CHANCE OF WATERSPOUTS AND FUNNEL CLOUDS

ARE IN THE FORECAST.

...better kennel up lil TOTO...

Good luck guys, I don't think it will be as bad as you think. Just chilly for a day or two then back on course with spring.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I missed John C. last night. Matty said that he said HE doesn't seen how we are to get rain, BUT his "supercomputer" keeps saying its gonna happen.  ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The wind is howling here at the moment but its hot--80 of so. They thought we might get to 85 and break the record for the hottest day so far this year (which was 84 one day last month) but  its too cloudy for that to happen. We are going to an outdoor wedding at 6pm today so I hope the bride doesn;t just blow off into the sunset.

Out long range forecast for the next 10 days doesn;t show any of that really cold weather reaching FL, but, that could always change. I started to take stuff out of the greenhouse today, but am keeping it to a minimum, and keeping it CLOSE in case it has to go right back in

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Was 96 here yesterday and in the low 90s today.  The heat is starting to roll in, love it.  Was 105 in Laredo TX yesterday.

(syersj @ Mar. 15 2008,14:32)

Was 96 here yesterday and in the low 90s today.  The heat is starting to roll in, love it.  Was 105 in Laredo TX yesterday.

Hot time - big time in Texas  :P  Jim, I understand the heat intensifies by wind descending from the high country in West Texas flowing eastward [what we call an off shore wind that warms the air & drops humidity.  Texas is always the first state to pop 100f  :cool:  

Total opposite here as the temperature is in the low 60's w/ scattered/building cumulonimbus clouds.  Tonight will be the coldest [below 50f /10c widespread

Lo: 51f /10.8c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Mar. 15 2008,15:30)

(syersj @ Mar. 15 2008,14:32)

Hot time - big time in Texas  :P  Jim, I understand the heat intensifies by wind descending from the high country in West Texas flowing eastward [what we call an off shore wind that warms the air & drops humidity.  Texas is always the first state to pop 100f  :cool:  

Total opposite here as the temperature is in the low 60's w/ scattered/building cumulonimbus clouds.  Tonight will be the coldest [below 50f /10c widespread

Lo: 51f /10.8c

Correct, our hottest days are when the wind is coming out of the Southwest off the mountains in Mexico.  It's not nearly as hot when the wind is coming off the gulf (from the S/SE) but it is much more humid and probably feels just as hot or hotter.  It alternates between super humid and dry around here, depending on which direction the wind is blowing, and if it coming off the gulf.

Don't know about San Diego, Orange County has been experiencing a very cold, windy day.  There is no rain, but the unstable low has brought on some of the nastiest cold winds that I can remember.  Palms are being blown all over...It's not a dry wind like the Santa Anas, but it can not be good for the palms.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

7:15 pm... it's 40 degrees and hailing in Riverside... what the hell?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Oceanside had some rain, but not much. Clear skies and low of 39F here.

Nice try Winter... now get outta hear!

Dry here, saw a few drops...Saw 41F this morn, so I suspected Terry would be at 39F.

Lo : 48f / 8.8c

32f reported in Malibu Canyon yet LA basin above 50f.  Was shoping in Hastings ranch yesterday while a brief storm dropped layer of hale on my car  :P

Quite windy

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Low of 39 here last night with a heavy downpour that woke me up. It must have touched 39 only briefly though since the temp is back up to 53 at 930AM. No wind, beautiful blue skies. It's actually quite nice out. Yesterday was horrible with heavy winds and upper 50s all day.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

48f low briefly here-higher up on hill was 51. Some rain. No hail. Big fluffy clouds now. Big winds. Red tail hawks aloft.

Wild tourists afoot wondering where Bob Barker lives.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Mt Palomar had a good coating of snow this morning looks as though it was down to the 3000 ft level.

The wind is pretty cold coming off the mountains today here in Fallbrook.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

We had a couple of good downpours yesterday afternoon, then one that woke us up in the night. Less than a qrtr inch, though. I'll need to irrigate this week.... :(

Wow, isn't this awfully late in the spring for this sort of stuff?   Sorry for my ignorance, but it's hard to believe you all are having temps in the 30s/40s.  And snow on the beaches - what???

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Mar. 15 2008,09:20)

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE...ORDER YOUR WINTER STORM ONE WEEK BEFORE SPRING AND YOU ALSO GET:

Hehe :D :D  :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(happ @ Mar. 15 2008,00:32)

beware Keith, our storm will be your storm later in the week. This baby is a shot across the bow from Arctica [ & will become dangerous once it enters the Plains & Gulf Coast.

How bad did it get where you are?  I think the storm will reach us by Wednesday - they were saying something about possibility of storms then on WX-R - so will maybe reach Keith by Mon/Tues?  A different storm system went through the southeast on Friday night and made a royal mess of Atlanta, right when people were going to the games.  I think the forecasters said the southeast has had a record-breaking # of tornados this year.

Yesterday was windy as anything here.  Wanted to take some plant pics since it was nice and sunny, but the wind kept blowing them around.  A few potted plants got knocked over.  And today was overcast with a trace of rain.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Mar. 16 2008,18:07)

(happ @ Mar. 15 2008,00:32)

beware Keith, our storm will be your storm later in the week. This baby is a shot across the bow from Arctica [ & will become dangerous once it enters the Plains & Gulf Coast.

How bad did it get where you are?  I think the storm will reach us by Wednesday - they were saying something about possibility of storms then on WX-R - so will maybe reach Keith by Mon/Tues?  A different storm system went through the southeast on Friday night and made a royal mess of Atlanta, right when people were going to the games.  I think the forecasters said the southeast has had a record-breaking # of tornados this year.

Yesterday was windy as anything here.  Wanted to take some plant pics since it was nice and sunny, but the wind kept blowing them around.  A few potted plants got knocked over.  And today was overcast with a trace of rain.

Looks like we will be OK on this one.  Coming through on Wed but will only drop highs from 81 down to 72 and lows from 58 down to 48.

We do rarely get caught by late spring freezes, but most years by now the mightly Gulf of Mexico begin to rule the day pushing the fronts up with its warm moist air meeting the cool stuff in the midwest.  That is when thens go crazy in Kansas, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc.

Not that we don't pay our price too.  Come June is hurricane season where we get to sit on pins and needles for 5 or 6 months.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

was 60f here yesterday in New York :) .... Oh, damn, but it's 41 right now... Oh well...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

The hail woke me up several times last night; seemed like it rained a lot, some wind and lightning and thunder.  Not much in the rain guage though, only about 1/4".  Maybe the hail just bounces off the rim?  Low recorded was 46, seemed colder than that.  Pretty nice all day Sunday.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The storm blew in & out pretty fast w/ many areas not even recording rainfall [picked-up a mere 0.07"]

Nice today & more of the same into the week  :P very windy tonight [but minimums could drop below 50f area-wide again esp if wind dies down

LA : 67f /19.4c Norm: 73f /27.8c

48f / 8.8c  Norm: 54f /12.2c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It hit 70F as a High in Thermal And 63F in Phoenix.The warm-up has begun and Texas and Florida are next for the Polar Express.

What you look for is what is looking

Ice..not frost...on the windsheild this a'm....

OUCH! 37F right now.  Terry at 35F  ? ???  :angry:

Only 36F, but my sensor is in an average location. If I put one, I don't know, say in the birdbath, it was probably 34F.

That Ptychosperma is begging me to throw it in the green waste bin this morning.

Funny how perceptions are sometimes not inline with reality.  I always felt So Cal was a much warmer place than Louisiana.   I have been there many times, but almost always in summer, so never realized that your winters were on average so cold.  Not yankee land cold, but as cold as ours for the most part.  We beat you on the extremes, but you stay cooler longer.  I always thought San Diego was like Miami.  

Before palm interest got me reading your weather threads, my perceptions were not inline with reality.

Keith

"The coldest Winter I ever spent was a Summer in San Francisco"Markus Twain.

What you look for is what is looking