IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS, PROBLEMS

PALM MOD

(Kim @ Feb. 12 2008,11:57)

It sounds like it is merely a matter of time until Palmtalk will be forced into moving to a new platform.  Wouldn't it be better to pro-actively make the move rather than try to recover and make the move after a major failure?  The archive works fine for the old board, and it wouldn't hurt to archive this as well, at least it would be accessible.  Making choices ahead of time will allow for a smooth transition, less down time, and therefore fewer lost participants (which is critical, in my view).  It's not that members need bells and whistles, but ease of use and consistent availability.  If the site crashes, that is the worst outcome.

What can we members do to encourage replacement of the outdated software for the IPS?

This makes the most sense. When the last forum was lost, I lnow alot of people were worried over the possibility of all the info contained within being lost.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

The error message shown when the board was down the other day indicated the data was being stored in MySQL database.  Assuming it is being backed up periodically, then no data should be lost.  Now it might be a bear to get it converted into a new database, but it can be done.  I am sure there are other IT folks like me out there that would help if needed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I appreciate all the reports and offers of assistance. I can't address each and everyone individually. Keep in mind that the IPS can't afford to grant server access to anyone who thinks they can help. But we really do appreciate the offers, and if anyone out there happens to have extensive knowledge with MySQL, and vBulletin and Ikonboard Forum software, please PM me.

Let me say that in theory nothing should ever be lost. However, databases can become corrupted and repair scripts don't always work as they should. Even knowing if it is the databse or the software itself that is causing the problems is difficult to determine. Especially with zero technical support for trouble shooting from the forum software. And using a database that was setup and created using one version of an older software does not often work seamlessly with a newer version of entirely different software written in a different language. Especially one as large as ours with encrypted passwords, attachments, and as many links to hosted files.

I have the OK to proceed with the assistance of someone who has some experience in this specific data conversion and/or recreation. I should have some answers within a few days.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I see "view extended statistics" is playing up again, showing profiles of different people at random. Just thought I'd report this, I know there's maintenance soon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Feb. 18 2008,06:48)

I see "view extended statistics" is playing up again, showing profiles of different people at random. Just thought I'd report this, I know there's maintenance soon.

That was a quick fix  ???

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Wish I could claim credit. It's just doing it's own thing right now. A more comprehensive fix is being researched.

when i am logged in i cannot  see the guest and members who are logged in. and some pictures do not appear. but when i am logged out they appear and all seems normal, log back  in and it goes wacky!

As mentioned, these problems appear to be without rhyme nor reason, and may get worse.

This is why I am encouraging everyone to update their profiles with a valid email address, in the event I need to mass mail everyone if the Forum disappears.

Mr. Mod,

The original developer of ikonboard moved onto this:

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/index.html

To convert-which they can do cheaply!:

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/board/convert.html

Have you checked into this?

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David,

Thanks for the info. We are presently trying to get a data conversion script written for vBulletin software to transfer our data to that platform.

As with many things in computer land, there are glitches. And then when those glitches are fixed there are more.

But maybe the two platforms are more compatible with one another, and the data migration would go more smoothly.

I'll check it out.

Mod edit: After checking it out briefly, it seems the data conversion may run into the same issues. Here is what they say about their data conversion scripts.

"The following converters are available for free. We cannot guarantee they will work properly due to the unknown factors often present in data conversions. That said, feel free to download and give them a try."

It might be worth taking a small sample of the database and seeing how it processes it. Also, maybe you could email or call the folsk at InvisionPower?

vBulletin is going  through some churn currently, FYI.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David,

Thanks to your suggestion I am all set up and ready to give them a go. They seem to think they can do it after discussing all the various versions and settings. I have a new server ready to initiate for testing and everything else ready to go.

I've just been waiting for the OK from my "superiors."

C'mon superiors!  Thanks for keeping this thing hanging on by a thread Mr. Mod!  If it wasn't for Palmtalk.org I don't think I would have been such an enthusiast...  :)

(PiousPalms @ Mar. 04 2008,14:47)

If it wasn't for Palmtalk.org I don't think I would have been such an enthusiast...  :)

Well said!!  This board is so unique.  I have been on many gardening related boards in the past.  Nothing else even comes close.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(IPSPTModerator @ Feb. 29 2008,15:06)

David,

Thanks to your suggestion I am all set up and ready to give them a go. They seem to think they can do it after discussing all the various versions and settings. I have a new server ready to initiate for testing and everything else ready to go.

I've just been waiting for the OK from my "superiors."

Dean,

Don't forget that I have personally pledged $20 towards conversion to a new service.  

I am calling the rest of you out now.  Match my $20 pledge towards helping PalmTalk to evolve to the next level messageboard, with a pledge of your own.  

Keith  

Note - This pledge was not solicited by IPS.  It was my offer.

Update:

I have the funds and permission of the IPS to attempt another upgrade.

A new server is being set up, and I will soon solicit the help of the Invision Power Forum people to see if they can save our data and get us set up with more up to date forum software with support.

This data transfer has been attempted using other software, and it was not successful. So, I will not count any of these chickens until they hatch. At least we are moving in a direction that will find some kind of solution soon. Hopefully it is one that will preserve all of the data we already have.

Dean,

Once again, your dedication and hard work is paying off. I hope this all goes well. I for one, really appreciate all that you do,thanks.

Jeff

First drink in CR is on me! :cool:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 06 2008,20:03)

Thanks Jeff!

For what?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Just lookin' for the opportunity, thats all!  :laugh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I logged in around 2pm EST today and it said "Welcome to PalmTalk, your are now logged in as Jerry@TreeZoo"!!!  

I tried to make political statements but then I got booted...

Everytime I tried to log on yesterday, I received a page stating "database error".

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

• 1 month later...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The dark lords do stay amused by those in their orbit. These childlike beings ask the silliest questions like "how big is a four gallon pot?' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Sometimes they even attempt to answer their own childish question like trying to mathematically ascertain the possible physical dimensions of four SAE gallons ("Imperial" gallons add another lovely layer of complexity) rather than simply ask directly and accept the mysteries. My children, there is no such thing as a four gallon pot! There are things that some of the lords call one, three, and five gallon pots, but this expression only exists to confuse the childlike. In general a three gallon pot refers to one of the nursery trade's #3 pots which may be more or less than three gallons depending on it's depth/width aspect. Oddly enough, a "one gallon" pot, or a #1 pot, is most often right at a gallon; but, making, say, a #3 pot equal three gallons of measure would just be too mind-numbingly simple for the lords to abide.

Alas, it seems the skill of distinguising the one, three, five, ten, fifteen, thirty, fifty, 100, 200 etc. gallon containers from one another must by rights remain with the lords. Those not posessing this skill could probably not bear to learn it........

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The dark lords do stay amused by those in their orbit. These childlike beings ask the silliest questions like "how big is a four gallon pot?' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Sometimes they even attempt to answer their own childish question like trying to mathematically ascertain the possible physical dimensions of four SAE gallons ("Imperial" gallons add another lovely layer of complexity) rather than simply ask directly and accept the mysteries. My children, there is no such thing as a four gallon pot! There are things that some of the lords call one, three, and five gallon pots, but this expression only exists to confuse the childlike. In general a three gallon pot refers to one of the nursery trade's #3 pots which may be more or less than three gallons depending on it's depth/width aspect. Oddly enough, a "one gallon" pot, or a #1 pot, is most often right at a gallon; but, making, say, a #3 pot equal three gallons of measure would just be too mind-numbingly simple for the lords to abide.

Alas, it seems the skill of distinguising the one, three, five, ten, fifteen, thirty, fifty, 100, 200 etc. gallon containers from one another must by rights remain with the lords. Those not posessing this skill could probably not bear to learn it........

And just when you think you have even the simplest concept mastered, like 3 gallon is bigger than 1 gallon, and 5 gallon is bigger than 3 gallon, they spring something on you like wire gauges.