IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island adventure

Urban Rainforest

These gingers were over 30 ft. tall!

post-351-1205674069_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Here is Steph and Ty on the way to the waterfall.

post-351-1205674158_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

And here is the famous Akaka waterfall.

post-351-1205674245_thumb.jpg

one more.

post-351-1205674355_thumb.jpg

One of the more beautifull places in Hilo town is Coconut island. It definately has an Asian influence and is a very serene place.

post-351-1205674762_thumb.jpg

One of the many asian statues there.

post-351-1205674944_thumb.jpg

Da girls doin da hula.

post-351-1205675000_thumb.jpg

Steph on one of the many beautifull bridges there.

post-351-1205675123_thumb.jpg

I had always wondered where Pauleen Sullivans place in Kapoho was and while driving around this time we happened to find it. I heard the place is for sale and for something like a cool 2 mil it's yours.Beccariophoenix Madagascariensis

post-351-1205677249_thumb.jpg

Beautifull blue Bizzy.

post-351-1205677342_thumb.jpg

More Steve!  Don't sleep now! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dude,

You are living the dream.

Thanks for sharing the photo's

Look forward to more

Makes me want to get a pad on the big island

Cheers

JOhn

john

Just for you Bill  :D . As you leave Hilo the landscape becomes very lush from the abundant rainfall there. There are areas where Alexander palms have taken over and the sight is amazing.

post-351-1205679566_thumb.jpg

more

post-351-1205679640_thumb.jpg

Spathodeas (african tulip tree) have naturalized here as well and to see the two together is breathtaking!

post-351-1205679770_thumb.jpg

The Alexanders grow right down to the beach.

post-351-1205679881_thumb.jpg

(johnmeulet @ Mar. 16 2008,09:57)

Dude,

You are living the dream.

Thanks for sharing the photo's

Look forward to more

Makes me want to get a pad on the big island

Cheers

JOhn

Thanks John, Prices are very good right now on the big island.

Steve

wow... that was awesome! What is the name of the beach with the keiki breakwater near Hilo?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

(doubravsky @ Mar. 16 2008,10:38)

wow... that was awesome! What is the name of the beach with the keiki breakwater near Hilo?

Thanks Dave, My wife might remember the name or Bo might know. It is a series of beaches kinda behind the airport. The place is set up for small kids with a nice family vibe. This street sign was in the middle of those pics so I think this may be the street its on.

post-351-1205682556_thumb.jpg

Steve, are all these photos from the Hilo side? I never knew it had so much variety.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Mar. 16 2008,11:55)

Steve, are all these photos from the Hilo side? I never knew it had so much variety.

Len, Most of these pics are from the Hilo side but some like the Hilton Waikaloa and the petroglyphs are on the Kona side. I have more pics from the Kona side to post and Waimea as well. There is a tremendous amount of variety on the big island and thats what keeps it from becoming boring. I believe it has all but 2 or 3 of the microclimates in the world!

Steve

I always hear how rainy it is. All your pictures show sun. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

That was a lot of fun to see the family vacation photos, it looked like you really had a great time.

Thanks,

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(LJG @ Mar. 16 2008,12:16)

I always hear how rainy it is. All your pictures show sun. :)

Len, When we were there they were in somewhat of a drought. That said we got a little bit of rain every day we were there and it seemed to resume to a more normal rainfall pattern the last 2 days of our trip. From my limited experience there it seems alot of the rain comes at night , morning and afternoon.

Steve

(Gtlevine @ Mar. 16 2008,14:50)

That was a lot of fun to see the family vacation photos, it looked like you really had a great time.

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks gary, We had a great family vacation and managed to get some work done in the house and plant more palms.

Steve

Steve, looks like you'll never get bored on the Big Island!  Very nice photos, thanks!  Very nice list of new palms, also, green with envy here...  Those Bentinckia condapanna are very fine in color and form.  I never get tired of these photos, keep on posting!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yes, that beach is named Onekahakaha Beach, and it's only about 2 miles from downtown Hilo. You head out on Kalanianaole Avenue, past the Port of Hilo, and a little bit more than a mile or so past the Port the entrance to the beach is on your left. There's a sign on the main road.

About the weather:

Winter and summer are quite different. During the summer we're typically in a tradewind pattern most of the time, which means most days are fairly similar, with clouds floating in from the Pacific Ocean (from a northeasterly direction). It would be VERY unusual to see the peaks of Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa during the summer months, because of all the clouds. During the summer we typically get rain on most days, but it generally falls late evening, or during the night.

During the winter, it tends to go from one extreme to the other. For instance in early February, it was VERY wet. We had 34 inches in the first 12 days (and that's pretty extreme, even for here), and then for the next 4 weeks we only had a total of just over an inch! Steve and his family were here during the end of that mini drought. And when we have those dry spells during the winter, there are hardly any clouds and the summits of the mountains are visible, usually with snow. We now seem to be back in a somewhat wet scenario (which we certainly need!), and it's been raining off and on all night.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(Steve from San Diego @ Mar. 15 2008,18:15)

Heres Steph with a look of determination moving the last of my pile of dirt.

Dang!  Bad form Steph, you're gonna bust a trapezius that way! :laugh:

post--1205793886_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Kim @ Mar. 17 2008,09:57)

Steve, looks like you'll never get bored on the Big Island!  Very nice photos, thanks!  Very nice list of new palms, also, green with envy here...  Those Bentinckia condapanna are very fine in color and form.  I never get tired of these photos, keep on posting!

Thanks Kim, There is so much to see and do there that we always seem to run out of time before we run out of things to do! I wanted to go to the zoo and the botanical garden again but just ran out of time. Bentinckia Nicobarica is the more common palm and while it too is a nice palm it is not nearly as colorfull. The Condapanna reminded me of a Dypsis with all it's color!

Steve

Another very scenic lookout point is the Waipo valley. You either need a 4 wheel drive or you can hike in. Very beautifull for sure.

post-351-1205893260_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more pics from the Waikaloa Hilton. I highly recommend this resort. It's a great place to take the family! Here is one of the water taxis that will take you anywhere around the resort.

post-351-1205893483_thumb.jpg

A closeup.

post-351-1205893559_thumb.jpg

Steve did you have sushi at the Hilton? Great little sushi bar in one of the towers.  What a great place, glad to here you had a good vacation. :D

Don..

Plant a palm....

They also had dolphin quest there which is an interactive dolphin show.

post-351-1205894032_thumb.jpg

Closeup of Dolphin.

post-351-1205894122_thumb.jpg

Just past the resort a little ways we had heard of a shark bay where you can actually see sharks. In all the times snorkelling on most of the Hawaiin Islands I've never seen a shark...and thats a good thing! This was an oppurtunity to see one from dry land though but was it truth or legend  ??? . Well we started at spencers beach and we hiked for a little distance and we asked a local. He was pretty encouraging as he said he had just seen one. We hiked on and saw a local fisherman that we asked about the sharks. He said we were almost there. We hiked a little further and there they were, about a half dozen or so blacktip sharks finning around just a stones throw from the beach! It was an amazing sight to watch and one even jumped out of the water attacking something. Ty took a nice video of them and if I can figure out how to post videos I will.

Steve

As the legend goes the local chief used to make sacrifices to the sharks. I don't remember actually reading what those were but the legend has it that is why they are still there today.

post-351-1205895554_thumb.jpg

This is the stone like the picture on the sign that the tribal chief used to lean against while watching the sharks feed.

post-351-1205895761_thumb.jpg

(Palmhut1 @ Mar. 18 2008,21:30)

Steve did you have sushi at the Hilton? Great little sushi bar in one of the towers.  What a great place, glad to here you had a good vacation. :D

Don..

Don, I wish we had tried it cuz we love sushi. We'll have to make sure we try it next time.

Thanks,

Steve

Lots of historical things went down at this shark area. One of the signs said that there were wars here, trading and of coarse shark feeding.

post-351-1205899714_thumb.jpg