IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island adventure

Urban Rainforest

What! You looking at me?

post-351-1205630457_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Making the clean getaway  :D .

post-351-1205630536_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

We also checked out some beaches down by the Hilo airport that we had never been to. Here is a nice shallow wading pool they have set up for the Keiki's.

post-351-1205630889_thumb.jpg

Another view down there.

post-351-1205630975_thumb.jpg

For those of you who like sushi and sashimi and have'nt had Hawaiin poke you have to try it. There are many versions of it but usually it consist of raw Ahi or other fish marenated in sesame oil, sesame seeds, green or other seaweed. As I said there are many variations of it and we found these trucks strategicaly parked around town with a poke man inside who makes poke anyway you like it. Don't let the roach coach fool you, this was some of the freshest and best poke I've had anywhere! We went back many times as my whole family likes it. I don't know if there is a middle ground with poke. Your either going to like it or hate it. We love it!

post-351-1205631633_thumb.jpg

Steve, You are a VERY lucky man and I'm jealous!  Beautiful family, awesome new place, fantastic neighbors............

You are doing something right!  :D

My hats off to ya, bra!

(oh yes, had to work very hard to not post any Ranch Hand comments, of which there are qualified members in this thread. ) :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I may live to regret the day I introduced my wife to the "fine" art of trimming. It started innocent enough with a pair of hand pruners. I figured it's an acre of jungle, what harm could she do? Well she wanted to trim bigger things and needed my hand saw which she ended up breaking. She started cleaning dead leaves of our pandanus and decided it was faster to just saw the whole limb off  :o . Then she comes walking by with a 10 ft. alexander palm slung over her shoulder she had just whacked down asking me where do you want this? At the end of the day she said she LOVES trimming, she wants a chainsaw for Christmas and that I better hurry and pick up the mess before dark  ??? . Actually she did'nt do that bad and I need all the help I can get.

post-351-1205632645_thumb.jpg

She even got Tika into the act.

post-351-1205632889_thumb.jpg

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 15 2008,20:57)

Steve, You are a VERY lucky man and I'm jealous!  Beautiful family, awesome new place, fantastic neighbors............

You are doing something right!  :D

My hats off to ya, bra!

(oh yes, had to work very hard to not post any Ranch Hand comments, of which there are qualified members in this thread. ) :)

Thanks Bill, and as you can see I definately put the ranch hands to work  :D .

Heres Steph with a look of determination moving the last of my pile of dirt.

post-351-1205633712_thumb.jpg

Working so fast shes just a blur :D .

post-351-1205633780_thumb.jpg

(Steve from San Diego @ Mar. 15 2008,18:01)

OH, I give up!!

THOSE are Ranch Hands!!!  :D :D

You need some of Angela's t shirts!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 15 2008,21:20)

(Steve from San Diego @ Mar. 15 2008,18:01)

OH, I give up!!

THOSE are Ranch Hands!!!  :D :D

You need some of Angela's t shirts!

:D

Steph's uncle Mike works at the Waikaloa Hilton which is in the top 10 resorts in Hawaii. He was able to hook us up with an awesome room for a night and 2 days. This place is like the Hawaii disneyland.

post-351-1205637095_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the many waterfalls around the pool.

post-351-1205637243_thumb.jpg

Ty checking it out.

post-351-1205637398_thumb.jpg

So after a couple beers and Mai Tais it was time for a nap in the hammock.

post-351-1205637539_thumb.jpg

Big mistake!

post-351-1205637610_thumb.jpg

Dumped!

post-351-1205637681_thumb.jpg

They had this water slide that was a blast! Heres Tika.

post-351-1205637828_thumb.jpg

Me Ty and Steph by the waterfall.

post-351-1205638058_thumb.jpg

Straight chillin :cool:

post-351-1205638171_thumb.jpg

They had this awesome lagoon there full of tropical fish and sea turtles.

post-351-1205641945_thumb.jpg

Yours truly doing a little snorkeling.

post-351-1205642050_thumb.jpg

Tika and Ty paddle boating.

post-351-1205642123_thumb.jpg

Ty was feeding these puffer fish bread. Pretty soon we were being circled by 3 of them.

post-351-1205642241_thumb.jpg

The funny thing was when we ran out of bread they would come to the surface and spit water at you.

post-351-1205642341_thumb.jpg

One thing I had read about and always wanted to see was the kings trail and petroglyphs. Well as fate would have it it was a quick walk from the resort.

post-351-1205644593_thumb.jpg

Here is Steph on the kings trail.

post-351-1205644689_thumb.jpg

More of the trail. I think I read somewhere that the trail is 175 miles long and goes from one end of the island to the other.

post-351-1205644754_thumb.jpg

Petroglyph sign

post-351-1205644941_thumb.jpg

Here are some of the petroglyphs we found. It's unfortunate but just as people carve there names on trees in botanical gardens people have carved their names and even smily faces on some of the rocks here. I tried to only photograph petroglyphs that looked legit.

post-351-1205645181_thumb.jpg

More petros

post-351-1205645248_thumb.jpg

And one more.

post-351-1205645318_thumb.jpg

They also built cave shelters there.

post-351-1205645412_thumb.jpg

Here is one of their cave shelters.

post-351-1205645491_thumb.jpg

And rock shelters.

post-351-1205645788_thumb.jpg

And the trail goes on and on and on.

post-351-1205645889_thumb.jpg

Another cool thing I had not seen before is snow on Mauna Kea. You could see it from almost anywhere on the island and even as the plane was landing. It was kind of ironic to be in Kona when its 85 degrees and look up and see snow.

post-351-1205673488_thumb.jpg

Another must see is Akaka falls. This is the trail leading down to it and there were some cool plants here and there.

post-351-1205673979_thumb.jpg