IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island adventure

Urban Rainforest

Me and Steph at Punaluu.

post-351-1205561279_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

More of the beach.

post-351-1205561346_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Some sort of urchiny critter in the tidepools there.

post-351-1205561444_thumb.jpg

Me and the kids at Punaluu.

post-351-1205561543_thumb.jpg

A nice plaque there. There are a lot of sea turtles here as well as all over the island.

post-351-1205561666_thumb.jpg

And a distant shot of the beach.

post-351-1205561843_thumb.jpg

After leaving Punaluu we headed to the Kona side of the island. I spotted this tree a mile away. What is it? I thought maybe it was some type of Tabeabuea but don't know. One of the most dramatic trees I've ever seen!

post-351-1205562278_thumb.jpg

Here is a giant lava tube we found past Kona on our way to Hapuna beach. It was immense.

post-351-1205562410_thumb.jpg

Here is Hapuna beach. Along with A bay they are some of the few white sand beaches on the island.

post-351-1205563684_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of Tika chillin on the little beach below the resort there. This is our favorite spot and has some of the best snorkeling on the island.

post-351-1205563849_thumb.jpg

After Hapuna beach we decided to go to the end of the road on thathat side of the island which we had never been to. It was worth the drive and beautifull. Heres me and Tika at a rasta shack we found.

post-351-1205564323_thumb.jpg

And here is the view from the end of the road. It was very scenic with a small island off shore.

post-351-1205564457_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve! Nice to see the progress in Hawaii, you are truly blessed with a beutifull family.

Braden de Jong

(Palmzilla @ Mar. 15 2008,02:10)

Hi Steve! Nice to see the progress in Hawaii, you are truly blessed with a beutifull family.

Hey thanks Braden. We are going to try and go back about every 6 months and plant more palms and enjoy every thing else the island has to offer. BTW the Hedyscepe, Chambeyronia, Burretiokentia and Syagrus Abreojos seed I got from you guys all sprouted.

Thanks again,

Steve

As I've mentioned before Bo and Karolyn and Jerry and Cindy have helped us out ALOT since we bought our property and there gardens are an inspiration to all. We lucked out and got over there just before Jerry and Cindy had to return to Cali. so we all decided to go out to dinner at this newer resturaunt in Pahoa town called Kaleos. It was small town hospitality with big city elegance. The Coco Ono was awesome! Here is a group shot left to right. Jerry, Cindy, Bo, Karolyn, Tika, Ty, Steph and me.

post-351-1205566661_thumb.jpg

Steve,

It was great to see you and Stephanie again, as well as Tyler and Tika. I'm glad you had such a good time here! And that dinner at Kaleo's was definitely one of the best! My sister and her husband are here now, so we'll be heading down to Kaleo's one of these evenings.

And I'll check on your palms every now and then. But I'm sure they'll be just fine! We've even had a few showers these last couple of days! Hopefully, the beginning of more rain...! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Mar. 15 2008,03:11)

Steve,

It was great to see you and Stephanie again, as well as Tyler and Tika. I'm glad you had such a good time here! And that dinner at Kaleo's was definitely one of the best! My sister and her husband are here now, so we'll be heading down to Kaleo's one of these evenings.

And I'll check on your palms every now and then. But I'm sure they'll be just fine! We've even had a few showers these last couple of days! Hopefully, the beginning of more rain...! :)

Bo-Göran

Bo, Your probably wondering what I'm doing up so late but I'm still on Hawaii time and can't sleep  :D . We noticed the rainfall did increase the last 2 days of our stay. Hopefully a sign of things to come. Thanks again for every thing!!!

Steve

We drove  down to Kalapana and watched the lava flow this evening. Not really too impressive when you've seen the flow on previous occasions, because they kept the public a good distance away from the active flow. At least 300-400 ft or so... :(  But we did see some nice flows in the distance, and also quite a few flows that went into the ocean. We'll probably drive down there again within the next few days. It was only a 15 minute walk from where we parked the car. And the lava flow IS changing just about every single day, so you never know what to expect from one day to the next.

Good night! :cool:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Mar. 15 2008,03:27)

We drove  down to Kalapana and watched the lava flow this evening. Not really too impressive when you've seen the flow on previous occasions, because they kept the public a good distance away from the active flow. At least 300-400 ft or so... :(  But we did see some nice flows in the distance, and also quite a few flows that went into the ocean. We'll probably drive down there again within the next few days. It was only a 15 minute walk from where we parked the car. And the lava flow IS changing just about every single day, so you never know what to expect from one day to the next.

Good night! :cool:

Bo-Göran

Bo, We went over there to view the flow as well but there were so many cars and people that they would'nt let any more cars in. We had to walk more than 3 miles each way but it was worth it . Like I told the kids, you may never see anything like this again. We also had to stay about 400 ft. from the active flow but we could easily see it entering the ocean and at times big flareups as it did. Here are a few pics.

post-351-1205594164_thumb.jpg

Another

post-351-1205594244_thumb.jpg

These recent flow areas were along the trail as well and this one was only abour 4 ft. away.

post-351-1205594380_thumb.jpg

They just completed work on a new skatepark by our house. Next to Cycads, playing guitar and girls TY likes skateboarding but not neccisarily in that order  :D . Anyhows here is Ty carving up the new Pahoa skate park.

post-351-1205597085_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how quickly graffity can show up at a skate park or are they modern day Peteroglyphs  ??? .

post-351-1205597348_thumb.jpg

Steve, still a relative neophyte to the island.......Jerry who?  :o

By the way, your palms are lookin good. You must be so stoked!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, Jerry and Cindy Anderson have a home and nursery in Leilani Estates. They also have a great nursery in Fallbrook, Cali. Great people, great plants at great prices. And yes I am very stoked on my new palms and can't wait to get back and plant more.

Steve

Ty tried to catch us dinner but all he caught was a puffer fish.

post-351-1205626734_thumb.jpg

Well since Ty did'nt catch dinner it was off to Kalapana Cafe for da kine ono burger. This place used to be across the street from the beach but they had a big lava flow and now it is 1/4 mile away from the beach.

post-351-1205626964_thumb.jpg

One of our favorite things to do while were there is go down to the hot ponds. They are fed by geothermal hot springs and are very close to our house. The water is like a bathtub.

post-351-1205627643_thumb.jpg

one more pic.

post-351-1205627710_thumb.jpg

Some more scenic ocean coming back from Kalapana Village cafe.

post-351-1205627811_thumb.jpg

The wave were very strong on this side of the island.

post-351-1205627959_thumb.jpg

Some more pounders.

post-351-1205628025_thumb.jpg

Wahines and Cocos on a big island day as good as it gets!

post-351-1205628528_thumb.jpg

It's Durian season right now on the big island so Bo went to the Hilo farmers market and picked one up and invited the family over for a taste. Here Bo is slicing into it with fearless precision.

post-351-1205629100_thumb.jpg

The girls and kids were less than excited and equated the smell and taste to an armpit  :P  :o . Bo and I destroyed it and it was one of the best Durians I've ever had!

post-351-1205629348_thumb.jpg

One morning we went down to the tidepools at Kapoho on a very low tide. Some of the tidepools were quite deep with large fish in them and they were all full of unknowns like this seaslug thing.

post-351-1205629831_thumb.jpg

Beautifull corals.

post-351-1205629901_thumb.jpg

Sea snails.

post-351-1205629967_thumb.jpg

And tentacles :o ?

post-351-1205630047_thumb.jpg

Something else you don't see every day is spotted pigs with mohawks running through resort parking lots  :D . I slammed on the brakes and flipped a u turn as I was'nt sure what I was looking at  :o .

post-351-1205630368_thumb.jpg