IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big island adventure

Urban Rainforest

Well we just got back from another vacation to the big island and it never stops amazing me how much there is to do and see there. We brought the kids this time so while we were able to plant some palms and work on the house we also took alot of adventures and hikes and saw many new things and parts of the island that we had not seen before. I was very happy to see that every single palm that I had planted last time we were out there had not only survived but were thriving and had put on significant growth. Anyhows everyone had an awesome time and we can't wait to go back. I met Jerry and Cindy Andersen at there Leilani property and nursery and they hooked me up big time with some very nice palms and tropicals. Here is the list.

15 gal. Bentinckia Condopanna

5 gal. Carpoxylon Macrospermum

1 gal. Dypsis Mad Fox

2 gal. Dypsis Saintlucei

1 gal. Dypsis "true" Ambositrae

1 gal. Dypsis Heteromorpha

1 gal. Dypsis Betafaka

1 gal. Dypsis sp. Green Boresy

4'' Dypsis Procera

2-4'' Dypsis Florencei "entire leaf"

2 gal. Metroxylon Warburgii

5 gal. Socratea Exorizum

5 gal. Anthurium Dolichistachum

5 gal. Philodendron Verucosum

and another Phily that Jerry gave me.

I'll post a few pics of them and I'll post the adventure pics in the days to come.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This first palm I knew very little about but it is a knockout with all of it's colors. It is a very robust palm starting to trunk and about 7' planted out. Here are a few pics of Bentinckia Condopanna.

post-351-1205482655_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

another

post-351-1205482945_thumb.jpg

And one of the trunk detail.

post-351-1205483054_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of my favorite palm in the world, Mad Foxtail!  :D  Thanks Jerry!

post-351-1205483256_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot from farther away. It's sharing a planter with a Lemur, Dypsis Faneva, Dypsis Carlsmithii and Pinanga Speciosa.

post-351-1205483465_thumb.jpg

Planted out it is about 2 ft. Here is a close up pic showing the beautifull color in the new spear.

post-351-1205483595_thumb.jpg

A pic of Metroxylon Warburgii opening a new red frond.

post-351-1205483786_thumb.jpg

Carpoxylon Macrospermum

post-351-1205483908_thumb.jpg

Another one of my favs Dypsis Saintlucei.

post-351-1205484076_thumb.jpg

And a trunk closeup.

post-351-1205484161_thumb.jpg

I climbed on top of a lava mould to plant this one because I want it's stilt roots to snake down the sides. I know, I'm wierd  :D . Socratea Exorizum

post-351-1205484422_thumb.jpg

A closeup of the emerging stilt roots.

post-351-1205484553_thumb.jpg

After everything I planted last time lived I decided to really roll the dice and plant these 2- 3'' Dypsis Florencei's. I hollowed out a small lava mould, put in nice dirt, placed leaves around for mulch and they have a Cibotium tree fern for canopy... we'll see what happens.

post-351-1205485007_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Sp. Green Boresy

post-351-1205485098_thumb.jpg

Dypsis "true" Abositrae

post-351-1205485198_thumb.jpg

I also planted a couple of cool Aroids. Here is Anthurium Dolichistachum. These get HUGE!

post-351-1205485401_thumb.jpg

And here is Philodendron Verucosum.

post-351-1205485504_thumb.jpg

Steve, too bad I didn't have time to stop by last week, was at Bo's place scouting around. He said you were on island.

That condopanna is outstanding. I can hardly wait to get back and work on the garden.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

those are all incredible palms,musta been a blast to be able to pick ANYTHING & know that it would grow so well!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Nice score Steve!

Ever since Bo posted photos of his condopanna, I was a fan. It's a very colorful palm. Big score with the Mad Fox! Mine's opening a new leaf as I type this.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

(Peter @ Mar. 14 2008,11:56)

Looks great Steve!

Thanks Peter. Baby steps but it's a start. We still have'nt even hacked our way into the back half acre yet.

Steve

(realarch @ Mar. 14 2008,12:06)

Steve, too bad I didn't have time to stop by last week, was at Bo's place scouting around. He said you were on island.

That condopanna is outstanding. I can hardly wait to get back and work on the garden.

Tim

Tim, Sounds like we just missed each other. We were all over the island though. Yes the Condopanna is one of my favorites! You should pick one up from Jerry for your garden too. I believe he only has 3 or 4 left. I can't wait too get back either and in fact we are allready planning our next trip  :D .

Steve

(pohonkelapa @ Mar. 14 2008,19:15)

those are all incredible palms,musta been a blast to be able to pick ANYTHING & know that it would grow so well!

Thanks Paul. True dat, I'm buying and planting palms that have names I can't even spell or pronounce correctly but I'm having a blast  :D !

Steve

(JakeK @ Mar. 14 2008,19:41)

Nice score Steve!

Ever since Bo posted photos of his condopanna, I was a fan. It's a very colorful palm. Big score with the Mad Fox! Mine's opening a new leaf as I type this.

Thanks Jake, Yeah I talked to Jerry before we left for the island and he told me about the Condopanna and it was totally new to me but once you see one in person you have to have it. The Mad Fox is my favorite palm so it was a must have but I had no idea that I was going to be able to score such a nice size one. I am totally stoked. My Mad Fox in SD opened a red frond that stayed red for 3 months!

Steve

Well before I go to the adventure part of our trip I'll post some pics of palms I planted on our last trip 6 months ago. The growth rates were good to great and every thing is really digging in. I got 3 nice 5 gal. Neoveitchia Storkii's from Bo. They all had bifid fronds and now all 3 are going pinnate.

post-351-1205557862_thumb.jpg

Here is one more.

post-351-1205557961_thumb.jpg

I also planted 2- 5 gal. Lemurs which are doing awesome.

post-351-1205558130_thumb.jpg

Check out this color!

post-351-1205558468_thumb.jpg

The Clino's are blowing up too.

post-351-1205558639_thumb.jpg

This Clinostigma is going pinnate.

post-351-1205558831_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Prestoniana

post-351-1205558923_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Nauseosa

post-351-1205558994_thumb.jpg

Here is Dypsis Faneva showing nice coloration in the trunk.

post-351-1205559083_thumb.jpg

Calyptrocalyx Leptostachys. This little palm doubled in size.

post-351-1205559203_thumb.jpg

Alright, enough plants allready!Here are my two favorite wahine's, my daughter Tika and my wife Steph on the plane over. We fly hawaiin airlines and the flight is always great and they actually feed you.

Steve

post-351-1205560202_thumb.jpg

Tika underneath some sort of rustic structure.

post-351-1205560321_thumb.jpg

Me and my son Ty taking a break on the way to Punaluu state park beach.

post-351-1205560526_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of Punaluu beach. It made the top ten beaches in Hawaii on the travel channel and you can see why. It is a beautifull coconut lined black sand beach.

post-351-1205561194_thumb.jpg