IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Brahea Decumbens

Tad

Brahea decumbens, who's growing these?

anybody have pictures of theirs?

how long have you been growing them?

did you grow them from seed?

here is a picture of 2 that I have in containers.

post-18-1205329954_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I just hardly ever see these in anyones discussions of what they are growing.

post-18-1205330059_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

they are starting to turn, when they are in shade they dont get very blue, in full sun they get a nice white dust to them.

Abraham Lincoln

Dear Tad  :)

in one of the thread started by Bill,a tour on jeff in so cal.their they have shown a Breha Decumbens...i must confess that seeing the super white metallic colour,virtually brought me to my feet! And i was just worshipping it..and have you not see that tour stills ?

Hai bill are you there ! can you post that still once again here for our benefit_Please !  :)

lots of love,

Kris  :)

By the way breha armeta,breha clera,breha decumbens all have that white leaf colour in them.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I have one I planted in the ground five years ago and it was the same size as yours. Now five years later it has doubled in size and the leaves still have not turned the classic silver blue. It is no doubt a painfully slow palm, but I just ignore it and slowly over time it has been growing steadily.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

My B decumbens are so small im not sure my camera'll find em so i wont bother with a pic.  Like em tho.

Im hoping to get my 7 year old son into palms so he can show off a great collection some day.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

c'mon Glenn show us what you got!

Gary where did yours come from?

Abraham Lincoln

I've got 6 in the ground, they're just strap leaves though.  I've got a few more in the greenhouse, all straps too.

Gary, how often do you water them?  My strap leaf ones only get a watering once every few weeks and they don't seem to mind.  I'm wondering if they will need more in summer?  I'm hoping that once they're established I won't ever have to water them if I don't want to.  They're on a slope that I just want to ignore so I don't get depressed from how slow they're growing. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 12 2008,10:47)

B. decumbens also known around here as KONG.

post-376-1205347430_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

very nice looking Glenn, from seed?

Abraham Lincoln

I bought mine from Phil Nickels in Modesto, he is an IPS member. I will post a pic when I have time.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

(Gtlevine @ Mar. 12 2008,14:07)

I bought mine from Phil Nickels in Modesto, he is an IPS member. I will post a pic when I have time.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I wish he was in Modesto, he carries some GREAT cold hardy palms down in Shafter about 7 miles west of Bakersfield.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Your right, it's Shafter. All I remember is it was a long drive from San Diego.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

so does Phil Nickels carry a big selection of decumbens?

Abraham Lincoln

Kris- Tad,

Heres a faraway shot of the decumbens at the Huntington. I believe Kim has a better close up.

3rdday009.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Mar. 12 2008,21:34)

Kris- Tad,

Heres a faraway shot of the decumbens at the Huntington. I believe Kim has a better close up.

3rdday009.jpg

Looks  like Paul up there in the blue jacket.  If that shot came out, should be about perfect.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

True. Paulito?  :P

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 12 2008,14:03)

very nice looking Glenn, from seed?

No, I bought it last year at the Cycad Society auction at The Huntington last year.  There were a couple of palms there...had to have this one.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Dear Bill  :)

thanks a lot & hope as keith has pointed out a close-of the same will be more refreshing in onces mind for ever.i cannot forget this still,another breha that impressed me the most is growing in Steve from SoCal's garden its a breha Clera !

seeing those beauties simply blew me off as though being shot with a heavy double barrel gun...with my mouth still watering like a mad dog... :D

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Anybody know who donated that palm to the Huntington?

I have an idea but, not 100% sure.

tad

Abraham Lincoln

Pretty sure its been there a long time, Tad.

Bill, that wasnt the question, but yes its definitley been there a while, a small bit of trivia for you, Dial Dunkin from here in Harlingen ,Tx donated it to them back in the 70's, maybe the late 60's.

Dial owns the camp in Mexico as seen in my Mexico thread.

Abraham Lincoln

I have two in the ground at my nursery, one is more blue than the other.

We just harvested ripe seed off of my blue one last week it looks like a few thousand seed.

jerry

FallbrookOct2007001.jpg

FallbrookOct2007024.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Dear Jerry  :)

does this variety clump ?since in your stills i can see young ones in its feet ?

the second breha of your's looks beautiful !  :)

Thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Michael  :)

yeah i think so and the big brother(breha Ameda)is simply growing like mad ! so feel this one too can. :)

but at present i do not have it...soon will have one. :)

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I amgoing to build a rather large bed to plant mine in, with hopesof someday they will look as good as the ones at the hunt!

Abraham Lincoln

I think they are really underutilized!

post-18-1205534614_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

(palmotrafficante @ Mar. 14 2008,14:43)

I think they are really underutilized!

Tad, I think they're underutilized because:

1) they are hard to find

&

2) they are expensive!

I'd love to have one but sooo much $$, hard to find and to top it all off very slow too!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

not hard to find if you know where to look :)

Abraham Lincoln

Careful yourself sawbones, a handful in a pot does not a whole mountain make. I know where the real source is, I have been to the mountain, it's a long way from running dry.

post-18-1205553639_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Wheres the Blue? or Silver?

in full sun they get the color in shade they get green

post-18-1205594698_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

post-18-1205594757_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

full sun exposure

post-18-1205594795_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln