IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dec. 1989 freeze photos

Eric in Orlando

I can't remember if I have posted these but here are some photos from Jan. 1990, a month after the Christmas 1989 freeze here at Leu Gardens. It dropped to 19-20F 2 nights and it was below 32F for many hours.

These were on old slides I had put onto a CD.

from left to right; Syagrus romanzoffiana (killed), Dypsis decaryi (killed) X Butiagrus (no damage), Cycas revoluta (defoliated but survived), the trees were Koelreuteria elegans ssp. formosana (trees survived, just foliage was burned)

freeze1.jpg

from left to right; Dioon mejiae (some burn), Dioon merolae (little burn), Cycas rumphii (killed to ground but resprouted, now are about the same size)

freeze2.jpg

from left to right; Cycas revoluta (defoliated, survived), Zamia furfuracea (defoliated, survived), Roystonea regia (killed)

freeze3.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

O U C H ! ! !

Shades of the Big H, in January 2007, just in time for our local Palm Society meeting!

The place looked great when I was there last December . . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Eric,

Those pictures bring tears to my eyes.  My garden looked the same way. Took two or three years for some of the palms to recover, and a few didn't, but surprisingly most did.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Time and again, the cycads prove to be amazingly tolerant of cold.  D. mejiae and merolae are really beautiful cycads.

I believe they should be more widely planted.

Thanks for the photo.  :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Was that a FIRE,  or freeze damage? :;):

Eric  all I can say is, I am really glad you waited until March to put those pics up.I would have had nightmares all winter,if you had put them up in December!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

The last week in '89 through first week of '90 was an almost national record freeze. The Oceanside airport reported 20F at the time. It explains why there are no king palms in my neighborhood more than 18-20 ft tall.

Strange how I lived in Orange County at the time, yet I don't remember it.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Ouch..looks like somebody got out the 'super-roundup' sure must have been old to do that kind of damage.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

looks like my yard after last years socal freeze :angry:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I was moving to Guatemala during this freeze event and had just sold my large collection of Ceratozamias ten days before this freeze hit.Some of my neighbors actually spray painted their cycas revolutas with green paint and they looked pretty good.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

wow. thanks for these photos. I was too young and lived in south florida to remember this freeze but it sure put a hurting on a lot of the landscapes.

the rumphi are huge... never seen a group that large before.

good ol butiagrus.... after shots of these plants by chance? I love before and afters.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

man those pictures are bad. practically everything was burnt to a crisp. Were there any hardiness surprises from that freeze?

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Eric,

Those were some really intersting pictures taken after the damage showed up. I remember the 89 freeze as if it was yesterday. I had Phoenix roeb. that turned so brown, it looked like someone put a blowtorch to them. And you know how far south I am. I think it really was the hundred year freeze of the century. Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(scottgt @ Mar. 11 2008,16:21)

Some of my neighbors actually spray painted their cycas revolutas with green paint and they looked pretty good.

That's pretty funny.  Might as well, though, otherwise they would look like crap for a year or two before the next flush, plus I'm sure those leaves took forever to decompose.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I was very young then, in fact I remember my mother putting layers of cloths on.

I guy I know in Port St. John said that he recorded a 19 F temperature in '89 :o

I believe that is our all time record low around here.

Brevard County, Fl

(Jeff Searle @ Mar. 11 2008,21:24)

Eric,

Those were some really intersting pictures taken after the damage showed up. I remember the 89 freeze as if it was yesterday. I had Phoenix roeb. that turned so brown, it looked like someone put a blowtorch to them. And you know how far south I am. I think it really was the hundred year freeze of the century. Thanks,

Jeff

Wow, hard to believe P. roebelenii burned that far south. How did coconuts fare? Just about all P. roebelenii were wiped out unless it was a hybrid. I remember after the big freezes in 12/83 and 1/85 that many P. roebelenii and Syagrus romanzoffiana were killed or severely damaged but many were replanted in between 1/85 and 12/89. Then the big '89 freeze killed them again. It was several years before they started showing up in landscapes again. I mowed a ladies yard back around 83-85 when I was in high school. She had a huge P. roebelenii, maybe 7-8ft of clear trunk and it was killed after the 12/83 freeze. She also had about 20 mature S. romanzoffiana including one that had to be 50-60 ft tall, about half died, the others were defoliated but were killed the next winter with the 1/85 freeze. She also had 10-15ft crotons all around here house and they died down to the roots. She said all this had been planted back in the 1940s when they had the house built. Her whole yard was devastated as it was mostly tropicals; Bauhinia, avocados, mangos, citrus, Melaleuca, Jacaranda, etc.

I was in high school during the 83 and 85 freezes and out working for a nursery when the 89 freeze hit. It is still vivid memories of how torched it looked around here.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(FRITO @ Mar. 11 2008,19:11)

wow. thanks for these photos. I was too young and lived in south florida to remember this freeze but it sure put a hurting on a lot of the landscapes.

the rumphi are huge... never seen a group that large before.

good ol butiagrus.... after shots of these plants by chance? I love before and afters.

I have some photos of some of the plants now. That X Butiagrus was moved about 10 years ago when we rearranged the Palm Garden. Where the Dypsis behind is, that is where our huge Bismarckia is growing. It was planted a few months after in spring of '90. That was a couple years before I started working here.

Here is the X Butiagrus (in a different location);

c515.jpg

this is looking at the same spot where the Dypsis and X Butiagrus had been. The Bismarckia is growing where the Dypsis was, at the far bottom right there is part of a palmate leaf (Borassus madagascariensis), this is where the X Butiagrus had been

4534.jpg

Here are the clumps of Cycas rumphii, they came back from the roots

1709.jpg

here is the Zamia furfuracea

144a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(JakeK @ Mar. 11 2008,19:20)

man those pictures are bad. practically everything was burnt to a crisp. Were there any hardiness surprises from that freeze?

There were a few but there wasn't a big palm collection here at the time.

This Attalea rostrata survived, it was planted in 1973. An Arenga pinnata next to it survived also but it has since flowered and died several years ago. Hard to believe when not to far away all the Syagrus romanzoffiana were killed

img_0168.jpg

one of the few Syagrus romanzoffiana that survived, it has a robust trunk and has easliy 40ft of clear trunk now

eec6.jpg

these Acrocomia aculeata were not here back then but the parent was. An A. aculeata and a A. totai both survived (the A. aculeata was defoliated) but were killed by ganoderma a couple of years later. These 2 A. aculeata sprouted from seeds in 1993 where the parent had grown and were 30ft within 5 years

f8ba.jpg

here is a A. totai that sprouted from a seed. The parent was another A. totai elesewhere in the Garden that had survived but died in in '90 or '91 from Ganoderma. This is the palm on the left, the palms on the right are Syagrus romanzoffiana that sprouted in situ where parents killed in the freeze had grown. This is near the front entrance and near the fenceline. There are about a dozen other A. totai in neighbors yards that have sprouted from our seeds. Don't know what distributed them 1-2 blocks away

img_0396.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Coccothrinax was planted in 1985 so it survived the 12/89 freeze, it is thought to maybe be a stiff leaf form of C. argentata (the palm with the thin, bare trunk)

748d.jpg

2 big clumps of Caryota mitis froze to the roots but came back, this is one;

d13c.jpg

this Arenga engleri survived with little burn, it is the hardier form from the Ryukyu Islands

a470.jpg

these A. engleri are the more tender form from Taiwan, they were severely burnt and many stems died back

61af.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Dypsis lutescens froze to the ground but came back from the roots (it also was killed mostly back in 2/96 after 26F)

d0e4.jpg

this large clump of Acoelorrhaphe wrightii was killed to back but resprouted

4fbf.jpg

big clumps of Rhapis excelsa all over the Garden froze to the roots but R. humilis wasn't damaged

R. humilis

8c3a.jpg

Phoenix reclinata froze down but came back

bf0b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Those freeze damage shots are great. Maybe you should have published them before the winter of '07 in Calif. Seems like most people have just replaced the same palms they lost last year. The Butiagrus really stands out among the other brown palms. I'm headed for Dallas today, and don't know what I'll see there, but some hardy palms, I'm sure.

Dick

Richard Douglas

A couple more....

Phoenix roebelenii x reclinata, froze back but regrew

20d9.jpg

an old Sabal causiarum that survived

34d6.jpg

old Livistona chinensis

2ce7.jpg

Chamaedorea microspadix had only minor burn

56de.jpg

Here is what was killed that they were growing back then;

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana

Cocos nucifera

Dypsis decaryi

Livistona mariae

Phoenix roebelenii

Ptychosperma elegans

Roystonea regia

Syagrus romazoffiana (most)

Syagrus schizophylla

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great before and after shots Eric.

Have any of woody stuff (Ceiba/Chorisia, etc?) that survived?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

These all froze to the roots but came back

Ficus auriculata

3299.jpg

Kigelia pinnata- Sausage Tree

7884.jpg

3085.jpg

Markhamia lutea

61e0.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Ceiba (Chorisia) speciosa- Floss Silk Tree

9897.jpg

9e26.jpg

Tabebuia umbellata

38e0.jpg

Bischofia javanica- Toog Tree

cb45.jpg

There was a huge Peltophorum dubium that only had canopy damage but a previous manager (before I came)

had it removed because he didn't like it along with a huge Jacaranda and Melaleuca (all planted by Mr. Leu). A few other things like Bauhinia variegata, B. variegata 'Candida', Inga sp., Persea americana, Syzygium jambos, Bauhinia forficata and Cinnamomum aromaticum and Phyllanthus juglandifolius.

Used to be 2 big Ceiba pentandra according to an article in the 1960s (when this was still a private estate) but no record of what happened to them.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks Eric. That T. umbellata is spectacular.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Dear Eric  :)

thanks for the visual delight...lovely varities i have not seen much of them here !

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Eric, great coverage once again. the Acoelorrhaphe wrightii clump is awesome.

that along with the Rykuku island form af A engleri is some thing I definently need to add to my garden. and the mysterious cham microspadix :)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Eric,Tremendous pictures of before/after 1989.The Leu Gardens is very lucky to have you.

What you look for is what is looking

Thanks.  This gives much faith to those of us who grow palms on the colder side of things.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Nothing like rebirth!

Hmm.

Liue maybe should be changed to "Jardin de Lazarus . . . . "

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

These are amazing photos Eric and it is astounding on how fast some palms and plants can recover. I hope the garden goes a long time without another freeze. When I first read the title of your topic, this photo came to mind. I noticed it while organizing some of Jeff's old photos. It was also taken during the painful '89 Freeze at Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

scan0020.jpg

Ryan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

South Florida

Eric,

Jeff

While I do agree these freezes are not everyday, I think they are more common than most think.  

In addition to 89, there were freezes in 63 and 83 that were nearly as bad.  

It seems I remember in reading David Fairchild's book that he talked about 2 devastating freezes in So. Miami between somewhere between 1910 and 1930.  I am guessing on this one, but should not be too far off.   I owe that book a re-read, since I have visited the Kampong after the first read.

At any rate, that being given, that would be 5 fairly horrendous freezes in the 1900s or on average one every 20 years.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Oh man! That looks cold as heck Ryan! Glad I've never experienced anything like that whilst growing palms.

Incredible picture! Bet Jeff was freaking out although he is smiling!

Great pics Eric. I agree w/ Daryl that some of those look like someone dumped a bunch of round-up on those buggers. What a bummer but glad to see that some actually made it through.

Good job posting guys. Cool pics.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

(Palmarum @ Mar. 13 2008,17:50)

These are amazing photos Eric and it is astounding on how fast some palms and plants can recover. I hope the garden goes a long time without another freeze. When I first read the title of your topic, this photo came to mind. I noticed it while organizing some of Jeff's old photos. It was also taken during the painful '89 Freeze at Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

scan0020.jpg

Ryan

Jeff--

Where did you get that ski cap?? Tough to find those in SoFla, aren't they? :P

_____

1934,  1957-58', 1962-63' - Bad ones.  Also, 1977.  1962-63' set all time low of 18F for Tampa, changed the face of citrus and the lychee industry (at that time big around  Laurel (Sarasota, Venice) "Moved" the citrus belt south and finished the central Florida lychee biz as it was still recovering from the 1958 freezes.  Lychees are now grown further south with some production on Pine Island currently.  Mexico is now doing the industry no good.  (As a historical note, lychees came to Florida in about the 1880s or 1890s.)  

Lychees are pretty good indicator of climate, they are good to about 28F or so with little damage 25F with bad damage and the need to grow from the ground at about 22F.  Big ones do better that little ones. Interestly enough (to me anyway) growers in China report lychees taking down to 20F without damage, something to do with more dormant dormancy.  Sorry to go on like this but I cannot help it.

Don't forget that crap in 1996 either.

Some big lychee trees from these early groves can still be found in the  Bradenton area from these days if you look hard.

I say this junk just for giggles - but it does illustrate Florida's wacky weather and how it changes not only what hobbyists can 'get away with' but what kind of havoc it can do to agriculture here in the state.

I collected icicles on Siesta Key on Christmas Day 1984.  Not their normal habitat.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Palmarum @ Mar. 13 2008,17:50)

scan0020.jpg

Ryan

To all,

I haven't seen this picture in many years, I look at it and really think hard about when this happened. All that comes to mind is that I would loose most of my palm collection as I know it if I had it back then, and it's pretty f#&%ing scarry how much ice is on those plants! Damn!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow Jeff, you'd swear by that photo that you owned a perennial nursery in Indiana!

Hope we never have an '89 freeze again (or '83 or '85)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I was living in Datona Beach during the 89 freeze and remember that this Phoenix canariensis completely defoliated.There was nothing wrong with the trunk at that time.Today,the tree still stands;minus the northern 2/3 of its trunk. (those queens were not there in 89)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1205593721_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year