IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California Spring Weather

osideterry

Winter is over. With Daylight Savings Time, and warmer morning temps, I thought it a good time to start a new thread.

I'll post signs of Spring arriving in my yard tonight.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Bravo for you Terry,

I'm ready to chuck that misserable winter thread. Happ says there might be more cold coming our way, but my lows have crept up the past two weeks from around 40 to 45 this morning. We have had nice sunny days to the mid 70's, but the nights are still chilly.  Spring is slow to arrive in N. Calif.

Dick

Richard Douglas

In California is ALWAYS spring (temperatures)

Climate zone : 8b/9a

January average temperature : 41°F/5°C

July average temperature : 80°F/27°C

(Tony from Europe @ Mar. 10 2008,09:58)

In California is ALWAYS spring (temperatures)

By most people's standards, you are probably right.

California is a big state though. I'm pretty sure it's the only state that has zone ranges from 5a (high sierra) to 11 (for a few lucky stiffs).

For most of the population along the coast, it goes from Spring to 2 brief months of Summer, into Fall, and then back to Spring. My brother in Kansas City always finds my Winter photos annoying because the lawn and all my plants are green.

Possibility of rain Sunday...fingers crossed....

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Agree, we could use more rain before the "rain season" is over next month [though the storm forecast for this weekend looks basically dry  :(  & the 7 month+ "irrigation season" begins.

An AccuWx meteorologist has been following the storm scenario since last week http://www.accuweather.com/news-bl....=yeager

Yeager's initial report focuses on the "arctic" nature of this storm.  It may be a cold day event but mainly 40's at night.  

LA: 83f /28.3c

57f /13.8c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Terry says its Spring, I'll run with it....................

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

All over it's beautiful weather. It is here in Granada Hills too, even getting rather hot in the afternoon. But still - there's always the winds. I wish they would cease!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Looks like a cold storm this weekend.  Maybe I should have waited to plant the Euterpe.  hmmmmmmm

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Mar. 12 2008,12:42)

Looks like a cold storm this weekend.  Maybe I should have waited to plant the Euterpe.  hmmmmmmm

No need to delay transplant if your concern is cold nights [though NWS is forecasting below 40f /4.4c for Temucula/San Jacinto for 2 nights  :o the cold air could trigger t-storms/waterspouts but rainfall looks meager.

LA: 77f /25c

57f /13.8c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Its not allowed to be cold, I believe Terry has forbid it by starting this thread....................................

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If all this weekend storm can throw at me is 40F, I say Spring holds it's ground. You've seen my temps guys, you know I get the brunt of it if I'm wrong. We're only 8 days from it officially being Spring!

I'm still waiting for the ground to warm up before I start planting. June sounds about right.

Last night I left work on Wilshire - everything was beautiful. I got home to Granada Hills and 60+ MPH winds. It was like someone was running a giant vacuum cleaner over head.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

WoW  :o  Scott [parts of the San Fernando Valley, esp near the mountains, can receive incredible wind!  It was calm all night in my part of LA but a friend in La Crescenta also reported strong winds.  Of-course the wind keeps it warm but the super dry air sucks moisture from plants, big-time!

Ironically it was foggy for a few hours this morning in the Basin [no wind].

The storm system forecast for this weekend still looks to be rather weak though the trajectory may favor San Diego w/ decent rainfall if all the components come together.  We are running out of time for big rainfalls as the “dry season” is just around the corner!  The hills are still lush in growth but will begin to turn brown [or “golden” as some Californians prefer.  ???

Today may be the last of the warm weather for a few days.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

• 2 weeks later...

What a weekend!

85F on Saturday

86F on Sunday

very dry air but I watered and everything is growing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's been beautiful in Walnut Creek in N. Calif. for the past several days, mid 70's during the day and mid 40's for nightly lows which is about normal for this time of the year. The flowering trees are in full bloom, and the hills are a lush green. A few cooler days coming up, and maybe some rain, then after that I hope our daytimes highs will hit the 80's. Spring has sprung.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I am always amazed at how big my temp fluctuations can be

Sat- High=89F Low=45F

Sun- High=90F Low=45F

Great weather here. Starting to finally see some growth.

I don't have any that have croaked all the way, but, Acrocomia aculeata took some frost damage and the new green spear does not appear to be moving much if at all. Also Hyphaene coriacea lost most fronds to frost but is agressivly pushing spears.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Awesome weather in El Sereno also. The hi/lo Sat was 31/15C (88/59F) and Sun was 32/18C (90/64F). It was 19C (66F) at 6AM when I woke up this morning.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Well, dang.

I'm home with the flu, and have a fever, and it was about 90 F today (37 C?) and well, shucks, it sucks but winter's over at least.

Sit out in the sun and the oven within begins to cook . . . .

yowza . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here it is March 31st and a white frost on the roof tops. Temp. reads 37F, so not a killing frost, but still frost. This is the first one in about 3 weeks, but it's been cool here for the past several days after two weeks of mild weather. Spring can be torture in N. Calif.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - We've had some nice weather lately, but on a daily basis continue to have temps 5F below normal. My lows should be 50F, but are 45F with tomorrow forecast as 43F.

Rain Wednesday, Thursday and maybe next Tuesday

41F here this morn. Whats up with that? !

45F in Walnut Creek this morning, but it's overcast. Yesterdays high was around 70F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Bill's colder than me for once. 43F here. Not putting my Adonidia outside anytime soon.

(BS, Man about Palms @ Apr. 01 2008,08:51)

41F here this morn. Whats up with that? !

Sell!

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I noticed as I drove inland for work this morning, it was clear on the coast and overcast inland. Not common!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Apr. 01 2008,20:28)

I noticed as I drove inland for work this morning, it was clear on the coast and overcast inland. Not common!

Maybe, but at least it was not 41F. Bill, I think it's time to bring all your plants to my place and let me plant them here. From the temps you keep getting, I would say you are engaging in Palm Tree abuse and I have the cure.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

(Gtlevine @ Apr. 01 2008,17:41)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Apr. 01 2008,20:28)

Maybe, but at least it was not 41F. Bill, I think it's time to bring all your plants to my place and let me plant them here. From the temps you keep getting, I would say you are engaging in Palm Tree abuse and I have the cure.

Gary

You know, its amazing how many friends and volunteers have said the same thing to me....  ???

I'm a volunteer friend.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Apr. 02 2008,08:06)

I'm a volunteer friend.

Thank You. I need all I can get.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's 97F in the shade at my house at noon!

yesterday i have high tempreature of 34.1 C / 93 F my low temperature in the last night is 23.4 C / 74.1 F. light santana winds all the night.

in the right now is 34.5 C / 94. F. too hot for me but good for the palms and good day to go to the beach

PICT1095.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

92 today; morning low was 63...

Bananas are wanting gallons of water.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I hit 98F yesterday. Ran irrigation both days, plus watered all pots Saturday, and they needed to be watered again Sunday. Glad I wasn't out of town.

At last some warm weather in N. Calif.  Several warm days and yesterday (Sunday) was 88F. A weak system moved through last night, and only the 60's forcast for today and the next few days. At least my palms woke up and are growing again. Warmth is very slow to arrive in N. Calif. in the Spring.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(osideterry @ Apr. 14 2008,07:24)

I hit 98F yesterday. Ran irrigation both days, plus watered all pots Saturday, and they needed to be watered again Sunday. Glad I wasn't out of town.

Yeah, keeping pots moist in heat like that is a never ending job.  I don't know how Bill does it.  I can go a week in that heat without watering in ground plants if I need to.  I wouldn't do it intentionally but if I was out of town then they'd be ok.  Thick, thick mulch is the trick.  My front slope has a 4" layer of mulch on it.  There's no irrigation in this area and it hasn't been watered since it rained last which was well over a month ago.  I pulled the mulch back to do some plumbing work yesterday and the surface of the dirt was moist.  Incredible!  Now, I'm sure it's not wet through and through like a plant would like but it's not bone dry like my hillside has been for the last 3 weeks.  Mulch mulch mulch mulch....can't say it enough.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Apr. 15 2008,12:47)

(osideterry @ Apr. 14 2008,07:24)

Yeah, keeping pots moist in heat like that is a never ending job.  I don't know how Bill does it.

Now you know why my house isn't done.  When its daylight hours, I'm watering...

Its helps being coastal, I think I'd be completely overwhelmed if I lived a few more miles inland.  I watered pretty heavy Sun morn, was just looking tonite and they're pretty dry again!!

Oh yes, gotta sign off and go finish my taxes....  :laugh:

With the warmer weather I cleaned and trimmed things up.

And best of all I planted my Arenga Engleri from Danny and the Parajubea T. from Phil.

I left my camera at a friends house so no pics yet.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18