IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Walk around "the nursery"

quaman58

A few images of young plants around the garden. I'll look forward to the "before & after" pics some day!

The acclimation zone. A perfect area underneath a row of large Phoenix  robellinii's

IMG_0654.jpg

Burretiokentia vieillardii in the ground for a month or so. Hasn't missed a beat.

IMG_0656.jpg

Caryota mitis, or so I think. A freebe from a friend.

IMG_0655.jpg

Pinanga javana with a newly opening leaf.

IMG_0652.jpg

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

And fianally, Syagrus amara, beginning to pick up speed. Still only strap leaves, but it's working on the 3rd or 4th one this season.

IMG_0653.jpg

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Bret,

Nice pics of the "baby nursery", all of the little younguns appear to be doing well.  I can see why you question the Mitis.  All the ones I've seen have multiple trunks, maybe it just hasn't started growing offsets yet?

Won't be long and they'll all be a lot bigger, before and after shots are a great idea.

Pete

Bret.....nice selection of plants in the nursery!

FYI on the Caryota mitis....it may take a while longer before it starts to off set, but eventually all that open space there will be caryota....i had one that languished unattended until 2 years ago, and then i moved it 3 times, and it has never looked back...here in SW FL they're tuff...hope yours grows as well!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Hi quaman

You Burretiokentia is looking lovely!

Your C.mitis isnt a C.mitis at all. Looks like a Wodyetia to me....

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Your C.mitis isnt a C.mitis at all. Looks like a Wodyetia to me....

Oops.....there i go stretching the rather limited bounds of  my knowledge again...often wrong, but seldom in doubt! :D

Thanks, Dennis.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Bret!

Nice garden!

Yeah, that C. mitis isn't.  Aside from not suckering (though some do concededly take a lot of time to do that) the real kicker is the shape of the leaves.

Mitis leaves have a much lacier look to them, as do all the Caryotas, because the Caryotas are bipinnate.  That one's plain old pinnate.

Could be a Wodetyia, or something similar.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Alright guys, now I'm going to stare at the plant in question. It originally had 2 stalks, but one croaked. It did nothing for the first two years. It has the dark fuzzy tormentum that my Wodyetia has, but it never occurred to me, because the leaves are so flat. Nothing plumose like I'm used to seeing. But it's probably just an age thing, it being so young. Duh!!!

Bret

Bret