IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much sun can Caryota zebrina handle?

Really full garden

I have several C.zebrinas that I grew from seed.They are now 3yrs.old and almost 1m tall in 5 gal.pots. I had assumed they were understory palms and needed shade so thats they way I grew them until May. I moved them under a tall tree with filtered sun and even about an hour of direct sun in the morning. How much sun can they eventually handle?Their appearance and growth rate has improved greatly.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I've always kept my 3 gallons in heavy shade.  It's too expensive of a plant to sun burn and lose.

That being said, they grow in high elevation in PNG, probably with yearly cloud cover and heavy rain.  I would guess a coastal full-sun spot would be fine.

Scott,

Here in S. Fla., my largest one is in shade mostly all day. Not deep shade, but gets very little direct sun. It's approaching 5' tall. I have to say though, it never holds more than three leaves, of which only one,sometimes two ever look good at any one time. So far, I'm not impressed with it, but I'm happy it is growing. I know it will never take alot of sun here in our area, and do well.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, mine currently has four leaves. I must say that I am not impressed either. I have no consistanly shady spot in either of my gardens.All of my trees lose their leaves for three or four weeks throughout the year. My c.zebrinas are doomed to life in a pot forever.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Come on folks, stop knocking this Caryota. It is a marvel of nature, truly specatular striping, besides I have one in a pot and you're making me feel bad. I won it at one of our raffles this year. I'm going to plant it somewhere very soon.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I know a guy who had 2 Caryota zebrinas in 5gal pots on his back porch. He had some words with his wife, when he got home from work she poured hot grease on his palms.

Needless to say there no longer married.

So now they're breaking up marriages, wow, some palm.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Mine has struggled in it's current location.  I think they like a situation that most closely resembles being potted.  Mine was doing great up to the point I planted it out.

Oh yeah...I don't think they like too much sun either.

Alright I'm convinced. Anybody want my C.zebrina ?, it's all yours  :D

Caryotazebrina1.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yours seem to be thriving Wal , looks like 4 leaves on and 1 coming .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.