• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia (Houailou)

jdapalms

i am glad i bought one of these when i did. will post pix of it soon in my garden thread.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Pogo,

How much sun does yours get? I have a large 15g in a pot that im thinking of putting in 3/4 day sun. Right now in the pot it gets about 1/4 to 1/2 day sun and accclimated well.

Nick, mine is in full sun all day and each leaf gets more "aqua" and less burn/bleach out. I'm thinking the acclimation is about the same as a macrocarpa. By the 4th leaf, you're pretty well good to go. Bob and Braden thought mine looked pretty good on Sat.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Chambeyronia houailou looks a lot like hookeri when larger. I do not see to much difference. I have a larger hookeri that I will have to post a picture of when I return to Hawaii and you all can judge the differences if any.

One of the differences may be the cold hardiness the Chambeyronia houailou seems to take the cold better than the hookeri.

As far as being a beautiful palm I think that Chambeyronia rivals some of the best looking palms out there, of course this is my opinion.

Jerry

Jerry is this a hybrid or does it naturally occur? Where did the name come from?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Dean,

Adults are better than juveniles, with a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow (sorry... "golden" hues.

I can guess that adult traits are defined once a specimen starts fruiting. Maybe Bo's specimens are growing among trees and they don't build arching leaves because they are still looking for light, coming from above.

Can anybody post a picture of a large one?

Are there any old plants at FTBG or Montgomery?

Carlo

Here are some pics from a site everyone here knows(I know, shame on me)they are adults in NC, I believe, in full-sun. You can definitely see the a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow.

ChaHou-1.jpg

ChaHou1-2.jpg

So they do occur naturally, the name sounds Hawiian to me, I thought it was a cross from Hawaii.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Here's mine happy (so far) in its new home

post-611-12778245808035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Nick yours looks good. I see you have the same issue they all do until quite large. At least in so cal, it takes a good 3 years to "root out" or not be wobbly.

post-27-12778564537784_thumb.jpg

I took my ties off a couple months ago, but still have rocks propped up there. This is my only planted one and its been there just over 1 1/2 years.

post-27-12778565665902_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 years later...

Here' s one of the top... they grow pretty fast!

20161129_164755.thumb.jpg.42cf3d2fb3bfa1

And a few months back, another angle..

20160824_082638.thumb.jpg.1ec64c733bc791

• Upvote 3

Here is mine today. Definitely a slow palm but worth the wait.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ellidro said:

Here is mine today. Definitely a slow palm but worth the wait.

image.jpeg

Nick has that not rooted in well even at that size?

No its rooted in Ive just been too lazy to remove the stakes! Mine took a while though, being planted on a hill didn't help.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

A very slight pink tinge for a few days at best..

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

A very slight pink tinge for a few days at best..

same here Bill

It does not last to long unfortunately. It seems the smaller the palm the more pronounced the color. As mine goes up in age its loosing the cotton candy pink coloration :(

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 years later...
On 3/10/2008 at 2:11 AM, jdapalms said:

Chambeyronia houailou looks a lot like hookeri when larger. I do not see to much difference. I have a larger hookeri that I will have to post a picture of when I return to Hawaii and you all can judge the differences if any.

One of the differences may be the cold hardiness the Chambeyronia houailou seems to take the cold better than the hookeri.

As far as being a beautiful palm I think that Chambeyronia rivals some of the best looking palms out there, of course this is my opinion.

Jerry

Hi !

Would you have some Chambeyronia houailou seeds to sell ? Or maybe you know somebody who does ...

Best regards.

Georges Pastel

georgespastel@gmail.com

On 3/8/2008 at 12:27 AM, jdapalms said:

This is my Chambeyronia houailou in Hawaii. I have two others planted in Calif. one in San Clemente and the other at my Fallbrook nursery.

Anyone else growing these? Post your pictures.  

Hawaii3-7-08001.jpg

Hawaii3-7-08003.jpg

Jerry,

I have your houailou from your Fallbrook nursery.  The fronds were very long when I got it from you.  They have shrunk substantially since.  Here is a pic of it’s last new leaf:

F5ACCAD1-865F-45F4-AC7B-13E4DC1CA903.jpeg

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 9:07 AM, Palmə häl′ik said:

20191031_111954.jpg

What palm is that with the green trunk to the left of your chambeyronia?

• Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

20 minutes ago, Palmə häl′ik said:

That would be a tribear

Thanks! Tribears are awesome, glad you have one!

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b