• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chambeyronia (Houailou)

jdapalms

This is my Chambeyronia houailou in Hawaii. I have two others planted in Calif. one in San Clemente and the other at my Fallbrook nursery.

Anyone else growing these? Post your pictures.  

Hawaii3-7-08001.jpg

Hawaii3-7-08003.jpg

• Upvote 3

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Looks like a robust Hookeri. Cool.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's mine..

Houailou.jpg

Jerry what's the big deal with the Houailou?  Is it really a mind blower as it gets bigger like the the Hedecepe, Clinostigma Savoryana or the Decipiens.  Mines 8 years old, opens one leaf a year...and given little pleasure  ???

Your looks a bit like my Chambeyronia (Hookeri) which I thinks smokes the Macro. :o

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Chambeyronia houailou looks a lot like hookeri when larger. I do not see to much difference. I have a larger hookeri that I will have to post a picture of when I return to Hawaii and you all can judge the differences if any.

One of the differences may be the cold hardiness the Chambeyronia houailou seems to take the cold better than the hookeri.

As far as being a beautiful palm I think that Chambeyronia rivals some of the best looking palms out there, of course this is my opinion.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

(jdapalms @ Mar. 10 2008,01:11)

Chambeyronia houailou looks a lot like hookeri when larger. I do not see to much difference. I have a larger hookeri that I will have to post a picture of when I return to Hawaii and you all can judge the differences if any.

One of the differences may be the cold hardiness the Chambeyronia houailou seems to take the cold better than the hookeri.

As far as being a beautiful palm I think that Chambeyronia rivals some of the best looking palms out there, of course this is my opinion.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!  

I thought I was crazy, but you cleared it up I am. :D  :D  :D

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

These are definitelly good looking palms, but I have never seen one open up a new red frond. This is my largest one. Just started trunking late last year.

post-22-1205204629_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And a smaller individual

post-22-1205204688_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

here is my Chambeyronia houailou(s), quite possibly one of my new favorite palms in the garden. I see huge differences between these and hookeriis/macs. Much different leaf structure and petoile forms. I have three in the garden, they all grow great, and range about 10yrs in age from seed I sprouted in the past. I wish these palms would come around again!

post-406-1205554518_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I think they are nice looking but mainly for the crownshaft feature not the red leaf. I've heard these are a cross between regular form of macrocarpa and the hookerii form. Only thing is the percentage of Houailous that open up red leaves is relatively small. I think Hookerii takes the cake for throwing red leaves consistently.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

• 7 months later...
This is my Chambeyronia houailou in Hawaii. I have two others planted in Calif. one in San Clemente and the other at my Fallbrook nursery.

Anyone else growing these? Post your pictures.  

Hawaii3-7-08001.jpg

Hawaii3-7-08003.jpg

Great looking tree Jerry,

Hualu.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the many that Pogobob has ....the standout feature of these jems of a palm is the blu like glow aka Hedyscepe Canterburyana or Clinostigma palm.... and thous of you who want a red leaf none on these beauty!

I will make you lie Clark about no colored new leaf on this one....

DSCF0168.JPG

DSCF0169.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0058.JPG

Mat.

OK, but it like the orange on my Kogies.....very slit, and don't blink your eyes you might miss it! :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Resurrection time for this thread.

Sw Bills' Chambey houailoa yesterday and got the bug for one. Pogo's is the biggest I've seen in person(it rocks) but I really dig the leaf forms on BS mans'. Are these things super slow as liners??

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

I am in love with this palm. Adults are supreme.

It is amazingly distinct from C.macrocarpa... As far as I understood, Chambeyronia sp. Koua (in English Koo-Ah) should be the right name as it is not native to Houailou.

We got one at the Palmetum in S Cruz de Tenerife, and I have one at my place. Both are growing very well, the one at my place goes better because it is a bit upland, while the P is quintessentially coastal. The one at the palmetum was partially uprooted by a strong windstorm last week. It has been straightened and it will hopefully recove.

Carlo

I am tempted as Chambeyronia macrocarpa does well for me. But is it true that the C. Houailou can't tolerate the heat/humidity of FL? My impression is that it is a high elevation palm that is more suited to a So. Cal. climate. Can anyone tell me if that is the case?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I am tempted as Chambeyronia macrocarpa does well for me. But is it true that the C. Houailou can't tolerate the heat/humidity of FL? My impression is that it is a high elevation palm that is more suited to a So. Cal. climate. Can anyone tell me if that is the case?

Meg,

They do just fine here in south Florida.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Meg,

Thanks, Jeff. Gotta get me one.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Do they grow them at FTBG or Montgomery?

Is there any tall specimens around in cultivation?

Carlo

This palm is a mystery for me. All the ones I have seen, and some are good size now, show fronds that are fairly upright and straight. Jeff Marcus' Garden Tour shows some tall ones. The palm above of Bo's is less so from most I have seen.

But I remember distinctly when this palm was presented in either the IPS or the PSSC Journal many years ago (10-15). It was the rave with it's entire juvenile leaf, and the recurved frond. In fact, I clearly remember the many photos of a palm with extremely recurved fronds. If I remember correctly, that was supposedly the trait that separated it from the C. macrocarpa. Mine appear to have absolutely no chance of recurving, yet they definitely had the entire leaf as a juvenile. So, what's up with that?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean,

Adults are better than juveniles, with a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow (sorry... "golden" hues.

I can guess that adult traits are defined once a specimen starts fruiting. Maybe Bo's specimens are growing among trees and they don't build arching leaves because they are still looking for light, coming from above.

Can anybody post a picture of a large one?

Are there any old plants at FTBG or Montgomery?

Carlo

Carlo,

Here's one of the photos from Jeff's Garden Tour. And his commentary mentions the upright habit along with some other interesting info.

post-11-12676615199608_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Do they grow them at FTBG or Montgomery?

Is there any tall specimens around in cultivation?

Carlo

That I don't know.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dean,

It looks like Jeffs palm is in a lot of canopy? Maybe it will re-curve once it get above in the sun? I will have to get an updated shot on my dads biggest one, it looks quite a bit different than all the Hawaii ones.

Braden de Jong

Dean,

Adults are better than juveniles, with a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow (sorry... "golden" hues.

I can guess that adult traits are defined once a specimen starts fruiting. Maybe Bo's specimens are growing among trees and they don't build arching leaves because they are still looking for light, coming from above.

Carlo

Here are some pics from a site everyone here knows(I know, shame on me)they are adults in NC, I believe, in full-sun. You can definitely see the a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow.

ChaHou-1.jpg

ChaHou1-2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Dean,

Carlo

Here are some pics from a site everyone here knows(I know, shame on me)they are adults in NC, I believe, in full-sun. You can definitely see the a compact crown of stiff, arching leaves and lots of yellow.

ChaHou-1.jpg

ChaHou1-2.jpg

WOW! :mrlooney: Those are magnificent! Thanks for the pics.

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wow, those are some insane pics palmcurry, never scene those ones before. Here are a few shots of pogo's biggest one taken this morning, this is one of my favorite palms now

post-811-12677241413143_thumb.jpg

post-811-12677241577332_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Braden de Jong

Looking good Braden.

Here is a pic I took of that palm in Sept. 2006 (to give everyone an idea of growth rate).

DeJong011.jpg

• Upvote 1

:winkie: Thank you all - I learn more as I see more pictures of this plant in cultivation.

It looks like Jeffs palm is in a lot of canopy? Maybe it will re-curve once it get above in the sun?

I am sure you are right. It must be all about shade or sun.

Jeff Marcus' specimen looks to me a bit extreme with those upright leaves. Pogobob's palms are quite arching. The ones we grow in full sun build VERY recurved leaves, with the leaf tips scratching the ground. I believe it is the right way to grow it because it seems it loves direct full sun.

By the way - RPS still has some seeds. It was put on catalogue about 2 months ago.

Carlo

I must join this fan club too, one of my favourites of all time---ever.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Oooh! You will soon get the membership card of the "Koua Fan Club". Members have privileges. One kg of fresh seeds when membership is signed and then a free trip each year to visit them in habitat.

• 3 months later...

Oooh! You will soon get the membership card of the "Koua Fan Club". Members have privileges. One kg of fresh seeds when membership is signed and then a free trip each year to visit them in habitat.

Carlo,I want to be member of the fan Club. Are you paying for our trips to habitat? You are a very generous guy!!:D

But, how is the cold hardiness of C.houailou compared to regular C.macrocarpa?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 2 weeks later...

Pogo,

How much sun does yours get? I have a large 15g in a pot that im thinking of putting in 3/4 day sun. Right now in the pot it gets about 1/4 to 1/2 day sun and accclimated well.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.