IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Documentary "Surviving Katrina"

Walter John

Hi folks

This doco is on tonight here in Bris Vegas. Hour and half special on Katrina. I'll watch it and give me thoughts afterwards.

Anybody else seen this documentary ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I couldn't watch it all as the ABC channel had inteference noise going for about 40 minutes, I'll catch it on the rerun, but basically got the idea on communication breakdown as a huge obsticle.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

TWC here in the US ran specials the whole week of the 1st year anniversary. They milked it for all the advertising dollars they could get. I suppose they have to fill the hours that would normally be dedicated to correct weather prognostication.

Los Niños y Los Borrachos siempre dicen la verdad.

(alex_7b @ Sep. 05 2006,13:29)

I suppose they have to fill the hours that would normally be dedicated to correct weather prognostication.

hehe. snicker. ROFL!

Lotta truth to that.  I do think it's important for people across the U.S. to see just how bad it was - and the horror Katrina inflicted, what it meant to people who endured it.  But....

It went on too long.  I think some of their time would have been more wisely spent in detailed discussions about the best ways that states can prepare for catastrophes like this.  When something like this happens, it comes right down to how prepared the state government is, how proactive it is.  So much of the devastation could have been prevented - and it wasn't.

Wal brought up communication breakdown.  That played a major role - and that's something I think can be mitigated with good advance planning.

Just my op.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good