IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A few photos from Taroko Gorge, Taiwan

mppalms

I have a lot of photos from my last few trips and have just gotten around to organizing some of them and some of the photos of the yard.   I'll start with a few photos from Taroko Gorge, near Hualien on the east coast of Taiwan.  There is a great drive down the coast from Suao to Hualien that somewhat reminds me of the PCH around Big Sur.  While it was pouring rain on the way to Hualien, we got a nice sunny 25 C day on the way back.  This trip was in mid-January.

Jason

post-936-1204824557_thumb.jpg

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

O.k., now for some palms.  When I saw the first Arenga engleri, I thought, "this is cool, I like this palm."  But, then I saw them everywhere.  Generally, there were large groves of them on steep slopes, and they often grew around tree ferns I couldn't identify.

Jason

post-936-1204824679_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Here is a close-up of the leaves on a small one that was right along one of the paths by Hwy. 8, the one that traverses the gorge.  Note that, despite the high cliffs and mountains all around the gorge (some to nearly 3000m), the elevation inside the gorge only varied from about 200m east end (facing the ocean) to about 1000m at the west end.  Still, it felt a bit chilly.

post-936-1204824902_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

A river runs through it.  Yes, this amazing gorge (pics of the full scale to follow) was carved by the little Liwu River, which I'm sure is not so little after a typhoon!

Jason

post-936-1204825071_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

You can start to see how steep the cliffs are at the edges of the gorge.  I was surprised that it took a long time for the kids to get bored here, but the scenery was awesome.

Jason

post-936-1204825227_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

This is the Eternal Spring Shrine, toward the west end of Taroko Gorge.  There is a nice hike up the trail (you can see the switchbacks) behind the shrine.  My wife and I took a short walk up the trail (which was loaded with cool plants), but we had little kids and her parents in tow; so, no serious exploration allowed!

Jason

post-936-1204825459_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

We ran across this sign on the way up to the shrine.  Whatever you do, don't pick the killer flowers!

Jason

post-936-1204825611_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Looking west from the observation area at the Eternal Spring Shrine.  It was pretty rainy the day we went into the gorge, and probably about 20 C / 68 F as the high temp.

Jason

post-936-1204825784_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Hey, how did this get in there?  It's not a palm, but maybe Trevesia palmata (?).  I found this on the trail above the Eternal Spring Shrine.

Jason

post-936-1204825933_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

And, one final shot of some Arenga engleri.  You can see them behind other trees and shrubs on the slope.  Did I mention that I love this palm?

Next up..  Cambodia.

Jason

post-936-1204826356_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

That's a travelogue!

More, please!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(mppalms @ Mar. 06 2008,12:46)

We ran across this sign on the way up to the shrine.  Whatever you do, don't pick the killer flowers!

Jason

All that's missing are the lions and tigers and bears . . . .!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That's a travelogue!

More, please!

dave

Whew!  I have 1100 photos from Cambodia and Taiwan and countless more from misc. other spots.  I'll try some Cambodia shots next.  I only saw one native palm there, as well, plus some nice stuff planted around the "newer" temples.

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Jason:

DOn't restrict yourself to palms only.

For what it's worth, any picture of those places is interesting, especially the people, their houses, etc.

That's just me, of course. . . .

dave

Jason - This is fantastic. Taiwan is a place I always wanted to go. Did you rent a car? Were these places easily accessable?

Thanks for sharing these. I'm looking forward to more!

Oh yeah... the Arenga E. is a great palm!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

My in-laws live there part of the year, and my father-in-law rented a minivan for all of us.  I drove all over the northeastern quadrant of Taiwan.  After the trip, I must say I felt some pride when he said, "you are a Taiwan driver now!"  I know what it's like to pass another truck with 50 yards to spare against the oncoming truck coming downhill!

I must say that I was surprised at the natural beauty.  Taroko Gorge is one of the more spectacular places I have seen.  I only wish I could have hiked up into the mountains.

Jason

post-936-1204862866_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Wow, I never thought of Tawain as being that beautiful. Somehow I pictured it with lots and lots more people and concrete.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Taiwan has higher mountains than Japan.  

I did a quick intro visit to Taipei shortly before Chinese new year in 2007.  I need badly to go back to see Taroko Gorge and the magnificent temperate mountain flora.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The eastern half of Taiwan is a pretty interesting place.  When you drive along the very narrow coastal plain, you see a lot of cultivated coconut palms and tropical trees such as Delonix regia.  But, drive inland a bit, and you see more of the wild vegetation, a strange mix of the temperate and the tropical.  Taroko Gorge is just outside the Tropic of Cancer and you can see some remarkable changes with elevation and distance from the ocean.

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

That is a real eye opener.Incredible shots! I understand why the Chineese want it back!Look forward to your next stop.Thank you.

What you look for is what is looking

Jason,

Great pictures.  I was in Tawain once and I think if I remember right it was on that road. It was in 1993 and my memory is getting foggy.  But, I remember it was a real beautiful drive we took.  I went with our local agents and they took me to a real great place to eat virtually inside a Buddhist temple.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Derek,

I think that's the same place.  Taiwan has some great places to visit.  I had heard that but never experienced them myself until this Jan.

I'll find more pics of the Gorge to post, and I'll move on to Cambodia.

I'm looking to go to South America this summer.  I need to decompress.   :)

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

I'm sorry..  Don!  I'm losing my mind this week.

Confusing everyone with the last person with whom I spoke!

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Very cool photos Jason. I've always wanted to drive down the Eastern coast of Taiwan to see the striking coastline and mountains. Thanks for posting.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

(mppalms @ Mar. 07 2008,22:50)

I'm sorry..  Don!  I'm losing my mind this week.

Confusing everyone with the last person with whom I spoke!

Jason

No problem Jason.  I am confused a lot of the time anyway.  Where are you going to down here in South America?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Wowser.  Incredible landscape.  Keep posting!

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Those are beautiful shots, Jason. Many of the Japanese Rhapis cultivars come from Tiwan. I wonder if you saw any growing in the wild, or if there are any left? Also did you see any container grown Rhapis?

Dick

Richard Douglas

amazing shots,jason.i have wanted to go there since seeing it on "bizzare foods".did you eat any "bizarre foods"

there yerself?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

amazing shots,jason.i have wanted to go there since seeing it on "bizzare foods".did you eat any "bizarre foods"

there yerself?

I always eat bizarre foods!   :D  But, seriously, this time the only ones I ate I couldn't really identify.  Sorry..

Those are beautiful shots, Jason. Many of the Japanese Rhapis cultivars come from Tiwan. I wonder if you saw any growing in the wild, or if there are any left? Also did you see any container grown Rhapis?

Dick, I saw many potted Rhapis excelsa, just the usual stuff, nothing fancy.  I saw some Rhapis humilis the previous time I was in Taiwan.  I didn't see any Rhapis in the wild, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some.  What's amazing is that you see a lot of the same vegetation and then, whoa.. a Tetrapanax with 3-foot leaves or an Arenga engleri clinging to life on rocky hillside right in front of you.

No problem Jason.  I am confused a lot of the time anyway.  Where are you going to down here in South America?

Don,  it was looking like July, but that may get pushed out a bit now, since we're adding a previously-unscheduled trip to South Africa.  I'm not complaining!  I'll certainly let you know.  Given all the travel, I may need to take some serious time off from work.  :)

I'm glad everyone liked the photos.  I'll be on the road again but will post again when I'm back.

Oh, I'll be in Orlando in a week and may try to look up some folks in Florida.  Not sure how long I'll be there exactly.

Cheers,

Jason

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Jason, excellent pictures!  I love the colors of the water in that first shot.  Thanks for posting pictures of such an interesting and beautiful place.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I'm enjoying the photos, Jason.  Learning new stuff, too.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.