IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Driveway Strip, Part II

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

THANKS A HEAPIN' HELLUVA HEAP to everyone who offered input to my first post.

Here's a pic of the vertical dimension.   I think those lower wires are about 25-30 feet (8m-10 m) above the ground.

Further thoughts?

dave

post-208-1157232470_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Are you not asking us the same question, with the same wall,outside the same house, with the same cut-out along side the same wall???? Are we looking in the same direction or at another angle of the same direction? I'm really confused! Just no cycads, there ain't enough room. :P

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Scrap the bamboo, more cordys and if you don't paint the royal saga egyptian style, at least paint the wall cream or pale green or pale brown etc. Is it pink now, or is my colour blindness happening again.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Jeff Searle @ Sep. 02 2006,17:57)

Are you not asking us the same question, with the same wall,outside the same house, with the same cut-out along side the same wall???? Are we looking in the same direction or at another angle of the same direction? I'm really confused! Just no cycads, there ain't enough room. :P

same wall, slightly different direction

Camera aimed skyward, to show the gestalt i.e., the big picture, relating to heigh restraints.

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, since I'm often wrong, but never in doubt, IMO what you need to plant is any palm that is tall and linear.....the trunks need to be fairly skinny with modest crowns........ this will break up the length of the wall.

(Sorry, I know less than squat what would grow there...ummm, is it possible to know LESS than squat???.... but Carpentaria or Veitchia would be my choice if they would grow there)

....and in between the mystery tall  palms soften the slope and edges of the wall with lacey foliage, maybe  P. roebelenii, and underneath those plant some colour.

Yep, ask some people what time it is and they'll tell ya how to build a watch.........

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ Sep. 03 2006,09:12)

Dave, since I'm often wrong, but never in doubt, IMO what you need to plant is any palm that is tall and linear.....the trunks need to be fairly skinny with modest crowns........ this will break up the length of the wall.

(Sorry, I know less than squat what would grow there...ummm, is it possible to know LESS than squat???.... but Carpentaria or Veitchia would be my choice if they would grow there)

....and in between the mystery tall  palms soften the slope and edges of the wall with lacey foliage, maybe  P. roebelenii, and underneath those plant some colour.

Yep, ask some people what time it is and they'll tell ya how to build a watch.........

Excellent reply, I feel much better now  :laugh:  :laugh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal!

How's it feel to be let out once in a while . . . .

:P

dave

(Dave from So-Cal @ Sep. 03 2006,09:24)

Wal!

dave

Dave

There's a crack in the record.

Let out once in a while ? Is that all you can say to me after all my fabulous advice ?

On a more serious note, you have been asking everyone what to plant there, what are you thinking about planting there and I can't tell for sure but are those wires directly overhead of the wall ?. Damn tricky exercise ahead I feel with scratches on vehicles to be avoided.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I can`t wait for New Driveway Strip, Part III Will it be a aerial shot of that driveway :angry:

Put up some vines to cover that wall and call it a day.

Next topic, other than that driveway :angry:

Joe Carter

(Wal @ Sep. 02 2006,19:34)

(Dave from So-Cal @ Sep. 03 2006,09:24)

Wal!

dave

Dave

There's a crack in the record.

Let out once in a while ? Is that all you can say to me after all my fabulous advice ?

On a more serious note, you have been asking everyone what to plant there, what are you thinking about planting there and I can't tell for sure but are those wires directly overhead of the wall ?. Damn tricky exercise ahead I feel with scratches on vehicles to be avoided.

All right, sorry.  Sort of.

You have been giving great advice.

Yeah, you got a point about the tricky exercise, but that will ameliorated at least in part when I widen the drive on the west by the same width decreased to the east.

dave

what about dypsis lutescens??

And then maybe some traveller palms or something? They would love the heat. Thats a lot of extra space in a great climate.

I'm always up for learning new things!

Kyle:

Nice to see you again.

Yeah, I've thought of both.

Hmm.  I'll probably comp and try everything . . . . .

dave

Dave, the value of group discussion is to expand the range of ideas.  So here's the contrarian point.  Don't plant any palms!  This area is too shallow, it already has green vegetation (borrowed from the neighbor), and it's a fairly harsh spot, with direct sun and the concrete wall. Additionally, the palm fronds will rub against the side of vehicles for years.(personal experience)  Large gardens such as yours are better with varied plants, not just all palms everywhere.

I'm thinking of the garden of Gunther Schwarz in Santa Barbara.  He has an excellent driveway garden of succulents and small growing dry plants.  I don't know the names of these sort of plants, but his driveway does seem coherent with the larger garden featuring palms and bamboo around the house.  With the water savings at this driveway strip, you could have additional thirsty palms in your main area.

Please don't take offense,  gardens are intensely personal, and I rarely offer direct advice to others.  

If you or other readers want to flame me about this, make it quick! I'm going backpacking tomorrow, and will be offline until the 15th. :)

San Francisco, California

(TooShort @ Sep. 02 2006,20:01)

I can`t wait for New Driveway Strip, Part III Will it be a aerial shot of that driveway :angry:

Joe,

Here's the solution.  If you don't want to read about Dave's driveway strip, then don't open the topic.

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Sometimes I think Joe needs a hug time out...

I'm with Jeff, too narrow for cycads, unless you want to use some wee little dioons or something like that.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Dave,

As much as I like palms, I have to go with Darold on this one. And I've also been to Gunther's place in Santa Barbara so I know what he means (and that's a great looking garden!).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(elHoagie @ Sep. 03 2006,11:55)

(TooShort @ Sep. 02 2006,20:01)

Joe,

Here's the solution.  If you don't want to read about Dave's driveway strip, then don't open the topic.

Jack

Hoagie, Are you serious dave made two posts on the same exact thing. Did you both ride the short bus to school. No need for two post on something as silly as what will look nice along his wall. The first topic he posted gave him a bunch of different ideas. And don`t tell me that I can`t voice my opinion when i want this is a forum and thats what you do :angry:

Joe Carter

2-foot planters on either side of the dive, er drive?  May I make a suggestion?  A single 4-foot planter on one side or the other will be far more plantable.  (Um, right, probably the side you have already done the work on.)  I'm wondering how much the concrete footing for the wall sticks out into your 2-foot planter below the surface.  Not a lot of room and hell to keep watered without automatic irrigation -- you said it's just you and the hose, right?

I agree Darrold is on to something with his suggestion.  Planting palms here would be torture for most.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim it's just a two-foot strip on one side of the drive.  Mitght widen it to three.

Yeah, everyone's getting good ideas.

dave

Pachypodium, some bananas, some Hylocereus (pitaya, dragon fruit)

Heat no problem, short enough most likely.  Not much work.  

I DID ride the short bus, till they said I had to walk.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Thucculents are thwell...how about Agave Parryi Truncata...once again, in a mass planting.

(TooShort @ Sep. 03 2006,14:18)

Hoagie, Are you serious dave made two posts on the same exact thing. Did you both ride the short bus to school.

Joe,

Dave and I have been active on this board for years, and both of us have contributed thousands of posts about palms.  You've been active on this board for a couple months, and most of your thirty posts have been negative comments directed towards other members of this board.  What's the deal with the short bus comment?  This board is NOT the place to make personal attacks on people.  All I was suggesting is that you ignore the posts you don't like, instead of making negative comments about them.

Dave - sorry I've added a bunch of off topic posts in your topic.  Again...  For what it's worth, I still vote for a row of D. onilahensis.  But, Alan's suggestion of some Pachypodiums sounds good too.  Maybe alternate the two?  

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I was thinking Chamaedorea plumosa, but imagining the crowns rubbing against the wall made my teeth hurt

I get by with a little help from my fronds

First and foremost, you do not have any height restrictions for that spot.  Those are just telephone, CATV, and if there is power lines there it's sheilded.  You only have to worry about those lines you see way up high in the back of the photo.  These are 3 unsheilded lines that SDGE or Edison or whatever your power company is, has to make sure that no branches bridge the gap, completing the circuit and causing a massive high voltage arc.  I know people who deliberately plant stuff to grow up into the lines coming from the pole into the house to hide them.  That being said, I do like the D. onilahensis idea.  Thin profile, takes full sun.  I also like the succulent idea as I have a driveway strip similar to yours with a majesty palm in it that I have to water by hose.  Those first few years getting it established was tough.  Water everyday, sometimes 2 times in the summer.  Now the need is much less since it's established and the driveway is probably always moist underneath.  So, plant as high as you want.  Heck, put some R. oleraceas in and you can always cut out some driveway if they get to fat.  Good luck Dave.  I will be copying and pasting this response into the aforementioned part 1 post and will save the text on disc in anticipation for part 3. :D Just joeking Dave!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dave,

Remember whatever you plant should not interfere with that driveway. Example, if you plant palms will the fronds be bent up against your wall. Or when you drive by them on that narrow driveway will a car damage the fronds. I think if you decide on palms they should be large ones so you may drive under them. Being in such close planting to your driveway. If I were you I would plant a hedge of some sort to cover your wall, Palms is not a good idea. Small groundcover not good either. Stand back and look at your landscape, and don`t invest to much money if you think it might have to come out some day. Also no soaker hose, use PVC with sprinkler heads bury it in your strip. Use a water hose adapter for a hose connection on one end for manual watering. A soaker hose will make a mess on the driveway from flooding coming from the clay that don`t absorb water to good. I think a simple hedge will do the trick and will give you a nice contrast to your yard. :cool:

As for Hoagie, well your longevity on this forum is impressive and I`m proud of you. Have a nice day :)

Joe Carter

Ciao  Dace !!

A  mix  of  Chamaerops  Humilis,   vulcano  , and  cerifera

different green, blue, and  green  dark  colors

Easy  , not  too big  if  You  live  suckers

Ciao

M@x

North Rome Italy

(M@ximus @ Sep. 04 2006,21:11)

Sorry  for  DAVE  and  Leave

ciao  M@x

???

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(TooShort @ Sep. 04 2006,02:19)

Dave,

Remember whatever you plant should not interfere with that driveway. Example, if you plant palms will the fronds be bent up against your wall. Or when you drive by them on that narrow driveway will a car damage the fronds. I think if you decide on palms they should be large ones so you may drive under them. Being in such close planting to your driveway. If I were you I would plant a hedge of some sort to cover your wall, Palms is not a good idea. Small groundcover not good either. Stand back and look at your landscape, and don`t invest to much money if you think it might have to come out some day. Also no soaker hose, use PVC with sprinkler heads bury it in your strip. Use a water hose adapter for a hose connection on one end for manual watering. A soaker hose will make a mess on the driveway from flooding coming from the clay that don`t absorb water to good. I think a simple hedge will do the trick and will give you a nice contrast to your yard. :cool:

As for Hoagie, well your longevity on this forum is impressive and I`m proud of you. Have a nice day :)

Wow, Tooshort has a good idea for once.

Dave, the possibilities are almost endless, BUT I would caution that what ever you do, either put a berm or rocks or someting to protect what goes in there.  I can't tell you how many places that have those long driveways that have had something damaged by a delivery guy, a friend/relative, let alone the owner, BACKING down the driveway.

A lot of people drive poor going forward! Its even worse in reverse!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Rusty on Pine Is. @ Sep. 02 2006,19:12)

I agree with Rusty mostly. With your limited space, you have to consider something thats linear,slender and upright. I also think it would be a good idea to mix a couple or maybe three different plants in groups. But no more. Or it will start looking "busy". I would stay away from large palms like royals,etc.

Sometimes if I get stuck, I get the palm books out, and start eliminating which palms that will not work. And go from there.

Also, don't be in a big hurry or rush,if you don't have to. If you give it some time, I notice all of a sudden, a good idea appears! Just my thoughts. :cool:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BS @ Man about Palms,Sep. 04 2006,11:03)

Dave, the possibilities are almost endless, BUT I would caution that what ever you do, either put a berm or rocks or someting to protect what goes in there.  I can't tell you how many places that have those long driveways that have had something damaged by a delivery guy, a friend/relative, let alone the owner, BACKING down the driveway.

A lot of people drive poor going forward! Its even worse in reverse!!!

That is so true.  It's why I have to move a small roeb from near the driveway.  A barrier would be a great idea.

Dave, does the area get a lot of sun?  The pic indicates it does.  Would you be willing to espalier something on the wall?  say maybe, a vining Allamanda?  A good color contrast could be tradescantia pallida.  I think their water requirements are about the same.  Another possibility is dwarf allamanda (not bush) - it's good in limited spaces and has high summer color.  

Another poster suggested cordyline - one of the deeper magenta types would look great with the allamanda and not take up a lot of space - and wouldn't scratch your car.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Gunther Schwarz

I noticed two of you mentioned this garden -- does anyone have any photos of it?  (Zone envy kicking in here.)  

I missed the part about why bamboo was eliminated -- a short, clumping, tropical bamboo seems like it would work.

If it were MY area, I'd go with the idea of thuculents (did I spell that right?) and some euphorbias like E. trigona (or am I now pushing your zone?).  I like the color of the wall; I'd probably break up some of the length of it every once in a while with some interesting rocks or boulders that would protrude into the driveway just an inch or two here and there.  

In case no one noticed, I like long threads and discussions and look forward to Part III, Shots From the Satellite.

D.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Thanks to everyone!

The Digging Fairy went POOF and dug the dirt, and it was, as expected, kinda nasty in places -- a lot of sand and gravel; less nasty in others, -- a lot of clay.  A lot of water helped a lot.  As will double-digging, i.e., two shovel-depths down to loosen the dirt.

Lots of organix will go in everywhere soon, probably not do any serious planting for a while.

I do intend to water by hand, so that will eliminate the Ravenalas and such-like.

Matty, thanks for the tip about the wires!  I feared predatory cutting by the power company.

When the strip's planted, pix will be posted, but it will be a while, and there won't be any Roman numbers in it . . . .

Best to all

dave

(Diane Kirkland @ Sep. 04 2006,17:36)

Gunther Schwarz

I noticed two of you mentioned this garden -- does anyone have any photos of it?  (Zone envy kicking in here.)  

I missed the part about why bamboo was eliminated -- a short, clumping, tropical bamboo seems like it would work.

If it were MY area, I'd go with the idea of thuculents (did I spell that right?) and some euphorbias like E. trigona (or am I now pushing your zone?).  I like the color of the wall; I'd probably break up some of the length of it every once in a while with some interesting rocks or boulders that would protrude into the driveway just an inch or two here and there.  

In case no one noticed, I like long threads and discussions and look forward to Part III, Shots From the Satellite.

D.

Dianne..

Thucculents has two thees...

Dianne..

Thucculents has two thees...

Thteve,

Riffle sometimes accused me of being too thenthitiff, but I do need to point out that Diane hath only one "en" in my case.  

:;):

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Hey Dave

Post all you want about your driveway, tooshort just have to get over it... anyway like Palmazon says C. plumosa would be a good palm if you want palms for that area. They tolerate sun well, and dry, poor soil and the leaves are soft, and won't damage your car or people.

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Dave,

It seems everyone here likes the informal look; rocks here, small clumps there; groupings everywhere. You got a wall with a 3 ft. strip of dirt running down the length. You got a line of concrete that follows the wall without variation. You got guests cars, as well as you're own zipping up and down your drive.

This area screams formality and symmetry. Plant a row of the largest Queens or Washies, or Sabals that you can find as close to the same height as possible at the same intervals(mabe large intervals or small) and treat them all the same (water etc.) until you notice variations, then adjust accordingly. Fill in the rest of the area with decorative rock or grass. Concentrate on the rest of your yard and let this area serve as a backdrop or and oportunity for shade other more productive areas of your garden.

David

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hey Dave,

WOW! That sky sure is blue! Are you sure your in So. Cal.?  ??? IMG_0134.jpg This is how I remeber it looking! LOL

(View from Fiancee's condo- Century City)

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool: