IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated Cycas revoluta

daxin

I bought this variegated Cycas revoluta last week and subsequently had it hijacked by the first client of mine who saw it. The nursery owner thought this is just iron deficiency from a bad root or some kind of viral infection. I did see several others with similar variegation pattern but on some of them the variegated part is turing brown. PACSOA has an article on odd forms of Cycas revoluta and did mention that one type has variegation like this on new growth but will turn brown later in the year. I'd like to hear the experience from anyone who has grown this particular form of Cycas revoluta.

P3032886.jpg

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Dear Daxin Liu  :)

that cycas looks cool !  :)

thanks for the visuals...

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

From what I read, I do not seeing how this can be Cycas revoluta var. aurea. My take is if you found this one with a bunch similar, it has to be a nutritional deal. The true plant is so rare it would not be just found. But who knows.

Pot it up. Water and fertilize it properly, and see what happens next flush or two.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree with Len. I'd suspect a deficiency rather than a variegation. I'm sure someone with more experience could say for certain.

Looks cool though...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I saw a website that was selling this particular variety of variegated Cycas Revoluta.

If I remember correcly it was a nursery based in Australia and they were actually selling the business.  Anyway they had a propagated this variety in the hundreds already and had them in commercial quantities.  

They had other form of variegation too.

I'll see if I can find the site again.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Found the site its Price's Palm Plantation.  Len was right it is Cycas Revoluta var. Aurea

I hope this link works:

http://images.google.com/imgres?....rl=http

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Price sure wants a lot for them. Yours does look the same.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Cool!!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I guess I should go back and grab another one. This is a wholesale nursery and their plants came from Barcelo. Among the 100+ plants, there were 5-6 variegated ones.

For Len in Vista, this nursery has Pittosporum Tom Thumb in 5 and 15, but their staff told me that it is a fussy slow grower. Here is a picture of a few left-over 15g ones:

P2292872.jpg

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Just to point something out - I have seen many Sagos with this nutritional problem. It is common at places that do not take care of them. In fact I bought one from Art here in SoCal because I had a feeling it might have been Cycas Revoluta var. Aurea. I paid normal sago prices as Art did not know what var. Aurea was. Well, first flush was green and never changed. After that I learned my lesson why have a plant that is so expensive that can be imitated to the almost exact look by under potting and not taking care of it. :)

I hope yours is the real deal. I think you will know real soon with Spring coming.

As far as Pittosporum Tom Thumb, good find. They are a bear to track down in the states. No idea why. This cultivar has been around since early 90s in New Zealand. What did he want for those?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Mar. 06 2008,05:15)

Just to point something out - I have seen many Sagos with this nutritional problem. It is common at places that do not take care of them. In fact I bought one from Art here in SoCal because I had a feeling it might have been Cycas Revoluta var. Aurea. I paid normal sago prices as Art did not know what var. Aurea was. Well, first flush was green and never changed. After that I learned my lesson why have a plant that is so expensive that can be imitated to the almost exact look by under potting and not taking care of it. :)

I didn't buy either of those at Tropical Connection because I thought it was a cultural issue and not true variegation.

Hmmm.. Len has a point.  I was looking at the pictures on the Aureas in the website and the variegation/yellow seems to be limited to the very tips of the leaflets.

Still pretty hard to call though just basing it on pictures, but if you do go back I guess you should really look at the leaves very closely and look for clues.

But hey if its still priced like a regular sago then whats the harm?  just fertlize it well and you have a regular Sago.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

I agree with Len. Most of the ones I have seen with this type of varagation

grow out of it. Anyone had a Cycas Revoluta var. Aurea go through 2 or 3 flushes and maintain this?

JCD

South Florida

It seems that the consensus is that this is a nutrition related temporary effect. The other ones I saw had much shorter variegated tips but all seemed to be reasonably healthy.  I am surprised that no cycad growers has figured out how to induce this variegation controllably while not sacrifising the long-term health of these cycads. Maybe these pseudo-variegated ones will just die out if one tries to keep up the stress factor that is causing the variegation. In any case, I will go get another one to try for myself. Thank you all for the comments!

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

There's something that disturbs me immensely about the term "controlled variegation" and the sight of these cycads, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Mar. 07 2008,03:47)

There's something that disturbs me immensely about the term "controlled variegation" and the sight of these cycads, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

:D

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Seed from Amami island can often produce kogane, of the two forms this is more usual. Some years ago Mark Sanders of Florida brought two ton of this seed from me so it is not surprising that these plants are starting to appear in nurseries

I have a couple of these plants. I have had them for years. I have been putting fertilizer on them trying to green them up. When they flush the entire leaf come out yellow-lime green color. Guess I got something.

I went back to the same nursery last Friday and here are some more photos:

First the block of 5g Cycas revoluta. Two variegated ones really stand out, but they seem to be a bit smaller than the rest.

P3072914.jpg

No. 1

P3072916.jpg

No. 2

P3072915.jpg

Here is a close-up on one of the variegated 2g ones. It seems that the new leaves do not have any variegation. Most likely fake variegation in this case.

P3072919.jpg

I ended up not buying any as I think it is better to wait for confirmation after the one I bought originally flushing out some new leaves.

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Daxin,

Your cycad is definately Cycas Revoluta Aurea.

It also has more yellow than most I,ve seen.The new growth opens green and generally takes about 6 weeks to fully colour up.Nice specimen !!!

Steve

I would be interested in one of these -- perhaps in trade. Please contact me off list if interested.

Thanks,

Jody

JD,

That looks like a varigated spinulosum to me.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Heres what I found at Jungle Music this weekend.

varspin002.jpg

I'll stress it a bit more...(that should be no problem) and maybe the Variegation will return.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

i talked to a freind of mine and he said that its "That photo is a Revoluta with magnesium deficiency (not variegated, not aureo)" hes a real cycad pro so just throwing this out there so yall dont get suckerd into a regular sago :D

(Cycadcenter @ Apr. 01 2008,14:38)

JD,

That looks like a varigated spinulosum to me.

Bruce

I think Justin add the  :;):  by "Dioon holmgrenii " because he was joking as he asked months ago in a thread if it was D. holmgrenii and everyone said spinulosum for sure. Either that or he is holding out hope it is a holmgrenii. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Nice find Bill...

The force is strong with you. :)

LJG,

I guess I'm holding out hope.

I am by no means a cycad expert, so I appreciate all the input from you guys.  Whatever Dioon it is, I like it just because of the variegation.

The grower I got it from said he grows his spinulosum in a completely different area and hadn't bought a batch of spinulosum seed for several years.  He did buy a more recent batch of D. holmgrenii, which he grew and kept separate.  He said "After checking my records and based on where you found it, I am 90% sure it is a D. holmgrenii".  That's not to say that seed doesnt' get mixed up- because it happens all the time.  So, for now I am going to go with the grower's opinion and call it a holmgrenii.

I may try to get the plant over to Whitelock's, or at least send him pics, to get his opinion.

Time will tell...

• 14 years later...
On 3/7/2008 at 3:38 AM, Redland said:

Anyone had a Cycas Revoluta var. Aurea go through 2 or 3 flushes and maintain this?

I have 3, and all flushes came out green and the tips turned to yellow after 2-6 months, depending how much sun they got.

17.12.JPG

18.07.JPG

21.04.JPG

Edited by pinktree1

7 hours ago, pinktree1 said:

I have 3, and all flushes came out green and the tips turned to yellow after 2-6 months, depending how much sun they got.

17.12.JPG

18.07.JPG

21.04.JPG

If you look at how the yellow tips progress to brown tips combined with the fact that it takes 6 months for the tips to go from green to yellow, it leads me to the conclusion that the leaves are just slowly dying. 

For a truly variegated cycad,look up Zamia picta photos.   I don't have any photos to share, as they died off in our damp cool winters when I tried growing them outside here a decade ago.

I am sorry to bear the bad news.   If someone disagrees with my assessment,  please share and explain. 

• Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Perfectly normal for leaves to yellow.  This cycad was pushing out a pair of cones a year and a half ago with these leaves part of the prior flush.  It flushed after the cones but needed to pull nutrients from elsewhere for that massive amount of energy.   So, no this Encephalartos horridus x woodii is not variegated. 

20221203_070815.jpg

20221203_070826.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

If you look at how the yellow tips progress to brown tips combined with the fact that it takes 6 months for the tips to go from green to yellow, it leads me to the conclusion that the leaves are just slowly dying. 

For a truly variegated cycad,look up Zamia picta photos.   I don't have any photos to share, as they died off in our damp cool winters when I tried growing them outside here a decade ago.

I am sorry to bear the bad news.   If someone disagrees with my assessment,  please share and explain. 

I agree that this is not variegated, but the cause could be too much fertilizer or salt accumulation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amh said:

the cause could be too much fertilizer or salt accumulation.

They got the same portion of fertilizer like the rest.

Cycas 2022.10.JPG